AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM

Default Krell amps

Has anyone spent ant time with the new Krell amps? What are your impressions?

Last edited by mwjw; 07-01-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 PM

I realize this is not a reply to your post But, I am considering buying Solo 575 to compare with my current 400e. After comparison, I can sell the pair that loses out.

I am very intrigued by Krell's own description of the new amplifiers. if, somehow the newer amps can provide the same grip & dynamics as the Evolutions, while providing sweeter midrange, that would be incredible. Unfortunately, my dealer told me he won't have Solo 575 for demo...

Anyone care to dissuade me, so I don't go do this illogical thing I'm thinking of doing? I need a strong voice of reason.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 AM

We all want to know... DO IT!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I realize this is not a reply to your post But, I am considering buying Solo 575 to compare with my current 400e. After comparison, I can sell the pair that loses out.

I am very intrigued by Krell's own description of the new amplifiers. if, somehow the newer amps can provide the same grip & dynamics as the Evolutions, while providing sweeter midrange, that would be incredible. Unfortunately, my dealer told me he won't have Solo 575 for demo...

Anyone care to dissuade me, so I don't go do this illogical thing I'm thinking of doing? I need a strong voice of reason.
Sorry Steve that's a crazy idea. Why would the 575 provide a sweeter midrange ? Maybe your preamp is to blame if there is an issue rather than the amp ?

How much money would you lose on the 575 if they are no better or worse. Their new lineup hasn't exactly set the world on fire Have Krell actually sold any of the new range I still haven't seen a single mention anywhere on forums or review. You could be the first

Last edited by Mikeoz; 07-15-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM

A voice of reason (other than my wife)

I do currently have a great sounding system and I enjoy it tremendously. I'm not complaining. After having listened to numerous brands and gears, I believe Krell has one of the most transparent sound, it doesn't color the original recordings.

However, this is what we do in audio world - always looking for that extra improvement... Or just wanting to try a new toy

According to Krell description, Solo may have that slightly sweet midrange that class A is known for. And at the same time maintain that legendary control & dynamics Krell is known for. Sounds like match made in heaven, at least in theory.

And the only way to do that (for now) is a very expensive home audition & comparison via buying it...

Last edited by SteveK; 07-15-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM

I am sure that they will get reviewed in the press some time soon. In the absence of a demonstration (dealers loss) I would at least wait until you can read the opinion of an 'independent' reviewer rather than buy based on a marketing doc. Those words may be based on what they hoped to achieve - which may not be reality.

Have you considered looking out for a used Evolution One ? Wouldn't that fit the bill ?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:01 AM

Interesting thought. Going back to the proven roots of Krell for class A sound with control, rather than chasing after the new. I'll definitely take a look. Thank you.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
We all want to know... DO IT!
I didn't "DO IT" but,

I had a chance to home demo Duo300 Stereo amplifier, and compared it to my 400e. I used to own 302e, so I am familiar with its sound. (To be fair, I should be comparing 302e vs Duo 300.)

Duo adds flavor to the music. Midrange is more textured. Violin sounds more romantic and full. High ends are more noticeable, but not in a bad way. It adds more sparkle ever so slightly, but not bright. In fact, I can listen to trumpet music louder without having that fatiguing sense.

I thought Duo lost a bit of spatial separation of each instrument hanging in its own space. During busy passages, 400e wins out in delineating instruments. (This difference may be attributable to stereo amp vs monoblocks.) Soundstage width appear very comparable, but Duo is noticeably more forward. This is most pronounced with vocals. The artists seemed to have moved up front by few feet.

The bass is deep and dynamic, but not as tight as 400e. It doesn't have as quick of a bass slam. Burn-in may tighten things up. Or maybe this difference is equivalent to what I noticed between 302e and 400e. Solo 575 may have similar (?better) bass grip on speakers as 400e.

Overall, this amp sounds very pleasant and "musical" which may not be a typical word to describe Krells. It adds just a bit of spit to the voice and adds flavor/sparkle to instruments. Yet, it's definitely not as warm and laid back as tube amps.

Does this mean it is not as neutral as previous Krell Evolution series? Definitely yes, in my opinion...

When comparing live concert sound vs recorded music through different amplifiers I had over the years, Krell 400e seem to have the most neutral reproduction. (I was just at a live concert of a female vocalist and her voice from CD sounds more "real" through 400e than Duo.) 400e doesn't make anything more lush or romantic, it just reproduces the recording faithfully. Duo300 seems to color the sound, but in a way to make the music more pleasurable to listen to. Or, put in another way, Duo doesn't sound as analytical as typical Krell is known for.

So, extrapolating the sound of Duo300 to Solo575, Krell may have what it claims - sweetness of class A with superb control and grip of classic Krell lore.

Sound is infinitely more important than appearance to me. But, I do prefer the industrial look of Evolution series over the new design. The fans don't bother me, but they seem out of place on high end gears. The chassis, switches, and binding posts has more secure feel on the Evolution than Duo. Overall, build quality seems better on Evolution series.

The fans draw the air in through the back, and hot air vents out from top of the chassis. I was expecting the opposite, especially if you are stacking another gear on top as Krell suggests. I would never put anything on top of amplifiers even if they runs as cool as Mcintosh 601's. But still, I would have expected hot air out the back, not the top.

There is definitely a very noticeable difference between the old and the new Krell. But, I need to listen more to see which one I prefer. I have a small tube integrated that I switch to when I'm in the "tube mood." Perhaps, I need both Duo300 and 400e to swap back and forth depending on the mood

Last edited by SteveK; 08-01-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 AM

Thanks a TON for that review! I've been waiting to get someone's impression, and I feel yours is articulate with your bias open and not affecting the information.

I'd guess the fans are used as intake so the filters can help prevent dust getting into the chassis. While your proposed airflow direction does make more sense, it would contribute to dust build-up inside the amp. I can't believe Krell (or anyone) suggests stacking anything on top of an amp!