AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM

I don't see the Krell Evolution 505 SACD/CD player on their website. It appears that the Evolution 525 has replaced it. The 525 has four variations to select from.

Question: Does the Krell Evolution 525a play CD and SACD ???
Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Interesting that Krell abandoned SACD playback since it was onboard with the 505. I realize that the format is always in question, but there is certainly an inventory of SACD discs on the shelves.

Good idea by them?

Can you still buy a new 505 ... still on the shelves?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 PM

there's about 5 Krell Evo 505s on Agon all in the $5K range. I believe original retail was $10K.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 PM

I had the Krell 505 Evo in my system for a few weeks on a loan. Most impressive CDP when it comes to dynamics and resolution. Unfortunately it makes the poor recordings stand out that much more.. not the player's fault, just the imperfect world we live in when it comes to so many CDs.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Krell Evolution Series 'approach' vs the Esoteric 'approach'.

The Krell Evolution 505 SACD/CD player houses all the DAC's and the power in one box. Krell chooses to separate the channels in their Evolution TWO [2 box] monaural preamplifier.

The Esoteric PO-1 SACD/CD transport separates its power w/ a second box. Then, Esoteric immediately separates the channels with their DO-1 monaural DAC's.

I am wondering why Krell opted for a SACD/CD player vs a separate transport and DAC combination to mate with their monaural preamplifier.

Have you had any listening experiences with Esoteric?
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 PM

505 is not a natural partner for Evo TWO preamp. Evo ONE and TWO were to be joined by Evo THREE reference CDP. It has been in the development stage for years.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my story so far with the EVO 505.
Ive been having issues with it. It is on a rack with krell amp at the bottom, Krell preamp in the middle, the the EVO 505 , and on top of it a VPI classic 1.
I left of course distance of about 2-3 inches on top of each machine, and about 5 inches space on top of the power amp.
The 505 sounds really amazing, when it plays, it's just amazing.
Note that my speakers are the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution.
However i have a problem with the 505:

- First, it gets hot. It gets how when it plays, but even in stand by mode, it gets hot. I know it's all aluminum/steel and logically it gets warm/hot, but it is warmer than the preamp on standby. Also, ive tried to switch off completely the amp and preamp that were under it overnight, and it was still hot in the morning. I know it has 2 heat sinks inside etc.. but this is creating the following problem:

- When i insert a cd, if the cd player is too hot, it will try to read the disc and then tell me NO DISC. I have a small fan pointing at the cd player before playing any music, this seems to help fixing the no disc problem. Note, that if i switch off the cd player for few hours and it's cold, there is never a no-disc problem. So it's heat related for sure.

- Another issue if the cd is playing, is the skipping. Let me explain.
You can play track number 1-2-3-4 whatever. At a random point, let's say at track 6, it won't play it , but the track will show at TRACK 06 on the display, but the seconds will skip, without any sound of course.
So it would go like 00:04 then 00:18 then 00:31 etc.. then TRACK 07 00:02 - 00:12 etc..
Then ONLY way to stop this, is to open-close the cd , and press play again. If you select track 06 directly it might play it this time, and maybe play everything ok, or it might do the skipping again.

My question here, is if this is heat only related, if there is something i should do? or replace? anybody with similar problems?
I am looking at many people having the 505 on a rack or closed space without any issue. So i wonder why this is happening. I bought this play from a respectable store in the UK etc.. but i am having these issue which is pretty annoying because you always have to play with a fan, and you never know when this skipping thing will strike you.

If someone from Krell could tell me too. I contacted Patrick at Krell, he told me it might be heat. But he can't be sure over the phone....

Thank you guys!

AG
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 PM

I had owned the Evo-505 player and it did have similar issues with not loading and skipping. I had Krell re-callibrate the unit. You should probably have them service it.