AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 04-02-2014, 12:03 PM

If they have a replacement coming soon for the new Evo line, then it makes sense to discontinue the Evo line. As a customer, I'd hate to buy a new Evo, only to find out that a better amp was only a month or two away.

Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3 View Post
I have not heard them but have had a 600e in for service and asked about the new range. I was told this is not the replacement for the e-series as this is more mid-range hence the pricing differential. I was told there will be more amps released soon (with similar faceplates) at a higher price point to replace the discontinued evo line.
Was this information provided directly by Krell or indirectly from another source and will the "soon to be released" amps be in the class A/B format or the class A I-Bias format?

My direct discussion with Krell in late January explicitly assured me that the class A I-Bias product line was a replacement of the class A/B Evolution product line. Given Krell's management's comments praising the new I-Bias technology, it would be difficult to understand the rationale behind a future release of a product line similar to the Evolution 400e and 600e when the I-Bias Solo 375 and Solo 575 are so similar in power ratings. If one were to believe Krell management the "new" is significantly better than the "old".

The manner in which Krell discontinued one model and introduced another would make the subsequent introduction of a new competitive product a very questionable business model. The presumption is that the driving force of the change in product line, i.e. market share and return on investment for the private equity owners, would not appear supportive of multiple product lines, which could be considered redundant, if the class A I-Bias is found to be as good as Bill McKeegan has asserted.

I am just thankful that, subsequent to the 2014 CES introduction of the I-Bias product line, I was able to acquire two 600e demo models as I am comfortable knowing that objective third party reviewers have voiced their high praise as compared to the marketing jargon extolling the virtues of the yet unreviewed I-Bias models.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM

>>>Was this information provided directly by Krell or indirectly from another source and will the "soon to be released" amps be in the class A/B format or the class A I-Bias format?<<<

It came directly from someone I'd rather not name in Krell service. There aren't THAT many employees there so I believe that's enough information. To be clear, I wasn't trying to pry info either as it was simply a matter of curiosity having read a bit on this thread.

>>>The manner in which Krell discontinued one model and introduced another would make the subsequent introduction of a new competitive product a very questionable business model<<<<

I'm not so sure I follow. I've loved the Krell sound since the early 90s and remember very well the KAV to FPB relationship (which is not to suggest that is what these new lines represent). At the time, KAV was an affordable alternative to get that slam and the cost savings to my ears came at the expense of smoother highs so I was fortunate enough to move up way back when. I didn't look at KAV vs. FPB as competitive and instead complimentary but ymmv.

I didn't speak with Bill during this repair but he's a great guy. In fact, most of their employees have been nothing but class with me for ages. Sounds like the info you received was different than the info I received but hardly earth shattering in either case.

Intuitively, it makes sense to my mind that they will offer amps at a higher price point as they always have per the information I received but who knows? Enjoy your pair of 600e's, they're the best pair of amps I've had in my system and am grateful that I don't monkey around with gear as I used to 20 years ago.

That said, my god what we go through in the pursuit of fidelity. I'm not my 20 year old self anymore, and the sweating and swearing that was necessary to get just one of those 600e's into its box, up to my carport and into my truck to get to fed ex was nothing short of moronic. That process alone will probably effect my future buying habits and it's not like I'm way out of shape either. This may sound sacrilegious on this board but I had to wonder whether it's truly worth it when you consider how much more we spend in time, energy and money after having a beer at a friend's house who had a simple soundbar that sounded VERY good to my ears. I've had nice gear for a long time but I have to admit that technology is catching up fast and that's impressive. Certainly nowhere near the distance between a few hundred dollars and many, many thousands of dollars that existed 25 years ago and that's a wonderful thing to my ears. Or maybe it was just a good beer, ha.

Last edited by Lee3; 04-02-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Last edited by SteveK; 04-03-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 PM

My 400e's are the best pair of amplifiers I have heard in my audiophile journey. Incredible control and dynamics. Almost too neutral (no coloration) to a fault. I am eager to compare these to the new Solo.

To me, it is disappointing that Krell decided to make such drastic changes in their product lineup. I think switching back and forth may damage reputability.

Steady improvement on previous technology can make consumers more happy. Good example would be Mcintosh MC501 and MC601's. Noticeable improvement but not a stark difference. And it maintains company's tradition. When I had MC601's, I wasn't worried they would be quickly outdated when class A MC701's are introduced.

I don't believe I will like the new Solo monoblocks as much as my 400e's, but that has to be seen. I may get to do home demos on them for comparison when my dealer gets them in stock.

I also agree with narrowing of the gap between audiophile and mainstream consumer products. Some of the Bose and Sonos products sound very good on casual listening. Even the "entry level" audiophile products give higher end gears run for their money. For tonight, I replaced Phantom>400e with Manley Stingray iTube. It sounds wonderful, albeit lacking some dynamics and control on lower registers. Still very sedcutive sounds. Maybe it's ALSO the glass of wine I had

Last edited by SteveK; 04-11-2014 at 12:32 AM.