AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 08-18-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlebum View Post
My Artisan Fidelity Garrard 401 Statement.

Hello Beatlebum, does this Artisan Fidelity play as scrumptiously as it looks? What are the audio characteristics of it that stand out to you? Man, what an intriguing TT! What kind of price range can one expect to pay for a nicely dialed in one with all the bells and whistles? Gorgeous!

Olskool
Old 08-21-2016, 01:47 PM

My Michell TecnoDec with a solid oak base. Are about to search for a new pickup and I appreciate suggestions?

A friend recommend Dynavector

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160821_193215.jpg (93.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by sandecker; 08-22-2016 at 03:19 PM. Reason: picture
Old 08-21-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandecker View Post
My Michell TecnoDec with a solid oak base. Are about to search for a new pickup and I appreciate suggestions?

A friend recommend Dynavector
Which Dynavector?

I like the 17D3 Karat Diamond and it would suit your set-up well.

The other cartridges I'd look at include LYRA Delos MC or the Ortofon Cadenza Red.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post

Which Dynavector?

I like the 17D3 Karat Diamond and it would suit your set-up well.

The other cartridges I'd look at include LYRA Delos MC or the Ortofon Cadenza Red.

Cheers
Thank you for the info. It may be a little to high for my budget. Do yoy think it is big difference from Lyra to Dynavector, soundwise?

The cartridges that have come up earlier is DV20X2 Low
Old 08-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandecker View Post
Thank you for the info. It may be a little to high for my budget. Do yoy think it is big difference from Lyra to Dynavector, soundwise?

The cartridges that have come up earlier is DV20X2 Low
There is only small differences between the 17D3 v Lyra- nothing night and day- just 2 quality cartridges with a similar presentation-- both have a clean top end with plenty of bass. The Lyra suited my system better, my mate preferred the 17D3 (he has a Gyrodek with modified RB300 tonearm).

Ive always liked the DV20X2 (which Ive listened to on a VPI Classic 2). Its a warmer & more forgiving presentation than the 17D3 or the Lyra with lots of midband bloom, but not as clean in the top end. Probably too warm for my system but could be ideal for yours.

Ive been a Dynavector Cartridge fan for years- loved the 17D2 version which I ran for 2 years before switching to a Koetsu Black (a mistake, as it was too warm for my system but an awesome cartridge on a cooler sounding system).

Cant go wrong with the DV20X2.

Last edited by NZ421291; 08-23-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling is VERY poor
Old 08-25-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
There is only small differences between the 17D3 v Lyra- nothing night and day- just 2 quality cartridges with a similar presentation-- both have a clean top end with plenty of bass. The Lyra suited my system better, my mate preferred the 17D3 (he has a Gyrodek with modified RB300 tonearm). Ive always liked the DV20X2 (which Ive listened to on a VPI Classic 2). Its a warmer & more forgiving presentation than the 17D3 or the Lyra with lots of midband bloom, but not as clean in the top end. Probably too warm for my system but could be ideal for yours. Ive been a Dynavector Cartridge fan for years- loved the 17D2 version which I ran for 2 years before switching to a Koetsu Black (a mistake, as it was too warm for my system but an awesome cartridge on a cooler sounding system). Cant go wrong with the DV20X2.
Thank you for the information. It looks more and more that a DV20x2 is a good choice. It is on the plan this autumn to do the change.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Retired

Think this is my favorite thread. There are some truly wonderful looking (and, I'm sure, great sounding) pieces of gear in this thread. Keep em coming.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-04-2016, 02:07 AM

Love my LP12! The Booplinth made a profound difference. When the HRS-S1 table was added to isolate the TT further from the highly mass loaded table rack things really tightened up very nicely to a highly resolved, detailed and full range performer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.0 KB, 128 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool View Post
Love my LP12! The Booplinth made a profound difference. When the HRS-S1 table was added to isolate the TT further from the highly mass loaded table rack things really tightened up very nicely to a highly resolved, detailed and full range performer!
HRS-S1 added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (18.8 KB, 153 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 06:16 PM

My new turntables are setup pretty much.

EAR Discmaster, Kuzma 4 Point with Dynavector XV-1T, Helius Silver Ruby with Jan Allaerts:

Redpoint Model D with HRS-M3 Stand, Triplanar VII with Transfiguration Orpheus L to be mounted, Ikeda Sound Labs IT-407CR1 with Dynavector XV-1S, Miyajima Zero Mono, Van Den Hul Grasshopper III GLA. Ikeda 407 using Siltech Compass Lake with SATT G6 1.5 meter phono cable (Din to RCA), Schroder Reference Tonearm with cartridge TBD:

Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor