AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalt View Post
It is 10-22-2013
Mine is 8-2-13, so just a couple months older than yours. Mine was originally supplied with the (2) Russian Rocket 6N1P-EB (6H1N-EV) up front and a (NOS)GE 6CG7 in the back with a JJ 5y3 rectifier. I inquired with Dennis about using 6DJ8s up front and he said that any of the 6922 compatible tubes would be fine here. He also said that 5UG4 and 274B Rectifiers will be fine in my LP2 version. I have since rolled some Bugleboy 6DJ8s and ended up back to the Russian Rockets and a Sophia 274B Rectifier and a GE 6CG7. I don't remember the particulars but I have bought backup 6N1P-EBs if that tells you something. Interesting your LP2 has the 12AU7s up front. Haven't seen that before. Looking at the Tube Data sheets for the 6dj8 and 12au7 I see that they are not wired the same so I have doubts about there swap ability but Dennis would know best. It seems likely that there is another (your's) version of the LP2 out there with different tubes. I suggest contacting Dennis.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Nice amp! What are those output tubes: KT88's? Brand? Psvane rectifier ... which?

A great weekend to you too!
The Rectifier on the photo is a Westinghouse 5U4GB.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the information. My two different brands 5Z3's (4-Pin 5U4G) do not convince me yet ... I wonder if it has to do with the Chinese adapter I'm using (my sockets are octal).

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 02-22-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information. My two different brands 5Z3's (4-Pin 5U4G) do not convince me yet ... I wonder if it has to do with the Chinese adapter I'm using (my sockets are octal).
I don't think adapters should make a noticeable difference. They just change the pin connections, no electronics.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
"I have read nearly every page of this thread and have not seen much reference to those that have used the 6L6GC power tubes."

Well, welcome to the 6L6 GC club! I for one love the Russian 6L6 GC's with about everything, including running them when my preamp carries 56's: Plenty of detail, nice bass, no brightness whatsoever. I reported a few posts back that, to me, in my rig, this is the most resolving tube at hand. Thanks FloridaBoy for making me aware of the 6L6 GC. I'm ordering the Gold Lion KT66 hoping it will combine the traits of the 6L6 GC and the GL KT88.

I've run these beauties with every rectifier without any issues, so I would say the rectifier you're using is no problem. Those RCA's sure look great!
Thanks for the welcome. I don't have any modern 6L6's, but I do have a pair of the Soviet 6N3C (1971) that aren't the coin base type which is superior. However, I do like them. They are really nice sound sounding Soviet old school tubes. I have tried the following tubes that I have on hand:

RCA Black Plate 6L6GC (NOS)
GE 6L6GC (NOS)
Gold Lion KT88
Tung Sol KT120
6N3C (NOS)

Phillips 5Y3GYS (NOS)
Tube Store 274B (Shuguang?)
Mullard (badged Westinghouse) 5AR4 (NOS)
Brimar 5Z4G (NOS)
GE 5Y3GT (NOS)

6N1P-EB (Rocket-1971) (NOS)
Sylvania JAN 6189
Sylvania 12AU7 (NOS)
CONN 12AU7 (NOS)
The mystery 6CG7 (has to be old school because it has bad yellow labeling)

I am still trying to figure out my favorite combinations, but it is a slow process because I change one type of tube at a time. I know that I really like the 6N1P as a driver, the RCA 6L6GC blackplate is "special" and the Gold Lion KT88 is a really good modern tube IMHO. I am about to go nuts on another tube buying binge and will keep you posted.

Mark W.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Mine is 8-2-13, so just a couple months older than yours. Mine was originally supplied with the (2) Russian Rocket 6N1P-EB (6H1N-EV) up front and a (NOS)GE 6CG7 in the back with a JJ 5y3 rectifier. I inquired with Dennis about using 6DJ8s up front and he said that any of the 6922 compatible tubes would be fine here. He also said that 5UG4 and 274B Rectifiers will be fine in my LP2 version. I have since rolled some Bugleboy 6DJ8s and ended up back to the Russian Rockets and a Sophia 274B Rectifier and a GE 6CG7. I don't remember the particulars but I have bought backup 6N1P-EBs if that tells you something. Interesting your LP2 has the 12AU7s up front. Haven't seen that before. Looking at the Tube Data sheets for the 6dj8 and 12au7 I see that they are not wired the same so I have doubts about there swap ability but Dennis would know best. It seems likely that there is another (your's) version of the LP2 out there with different tubes. I suggest contacting Dennis.
I love those Russian Rocket 6N1P-EB (6H1N-EV) too. I guess getting my amp with the 6189's was a good thing because I already had a box full of really good NOS and modern 12AU7's, 12AT7's, and 12AX7's. I have really not used my DH gear much and have just lately set it up and rediscovered the joy of this fine sounding gear.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I don't think adapters should make a noticeable difference. They just change the pin connections, no electronics.
Some of those adapters suffer from poor insulating properties creating some leakage between pins, so they could actually affect performance.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM

I've been through some tube rolling with my KT88 amp and have generally allowed extended listening periods (weeks) each time to hear the subtle changes as well as the larger, more obvious changes that come with rolling.

Well, as I've been going through my inventory of tubes (way too many) to sort out exactly what I have, in and amongst the caddie of preamp octals I found a beauty of a NOS Sylvania 6SN7GT with perfectly matched sections and ultra low noise test readings.

I thought I'd swap out the RCA I've had in there just to see what difference it would make thinking it wouldn't be huge. Seriously wrong. Massive change in detail, separation and soundstage. Beautiful. It's not coming out of there. I'm looking to see if I have another one.

This is paired with ordinary Sovtek KT88's & a Mullard 5AR4. I'll leave this config in there for a while and then drop in a pair of GL KT88's that I have and give it some time.

These amps respond to driver changes to an even greater degree than any of my other amps do. Really surprising.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twanny View Post
NOS Sylvania 6SN7GT
Is that the Sylvania "Chrome Dome"? I had one of Dennis' Cary preamps - top of the line SLP-05 - for a while. Those were a favorite of mine for some of the sockets (took a total of 8 tubes - 6 not counting the headphone section).
Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twanny View Post
Some of those adapters suffer from poor insulating properties creating some leakage between pins, so they could actually affect performance.
True. I was also considering the possibility of sub-par conductivity ... after all, it becomes another link in the chain. If cables and fuses are relevant variables, the adapter is also. YMMV