AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-12-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......Amen. I am always amused at just how many people who have never owned McIntosh, or for that matter even heard a McIntosh system, seem to have such polarizing opinions. It sometimes seems those who never owned McIntosh gear are more opinionated than those who do own it.

High-end audio is a wonderful hobby, past time, commitment, obsession, or however one views it. There's plenty of room for everyone, and everyone's opinions. My thought is I'm happy I can't hear most other systems from my home.

+1
So true
Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 PM

I am not sure if the comments about ownership are being addressed to me or to someone else.

I made clear that I don't own the equipment. I attempted to be fair and probably most folks (except for the fan boys) will likely consider my comments to be so. There are certainly pretty nasty comments about the brand in the link that someone else posted.

Again, I have no desire to own McIntosh. Some here have indicated how McIntosh is a right of passage or others listed how many pieces of McIntosh digital here they have owned only to end up somewhere else. Quite frankly, I much rather go straight to "Go" and bypass all that.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
kurt1970... Welcome to AA!
Thanks for the welcome; nice to meet you!
Old 10-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I am not sure if the comments about ownership are being addressed to me or to someone else.

I made clear that I don't own the equipment. I attempted to be fair and probably most folks (except for the fan boys) will likely consider my comments to be so. There are certainly pretty nasty comments about the brand in the link that someone else posted.

Again, I have no desire to own McIntosh. Some here have indicated how McIntosh is a right of passage or others listed how many pieces of McIntosh digital here they have owned only to end up somewhere else. Quite frankly, I much rather go straight to "Go" and bypass all that.
nicoff.......I read back through all the posts. No one seems to be on your case. You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. No one minds that you do not care to own McIntosh. It's your choice what gear is most attractive to own. No one else's opinion really matters.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Default Is Mcintosh the most popular Hifi brand?

Is McIntosh the most popular hifi brand? No, if popularity is measured by sales turnover. The #1 spot would go to Denon, or Yamaha, or Bose, or Beats.

The automobile is where most people listen, so add Harman to the list - they are No 1 in OEM car audio by a large margin.

McIntosh is at once fairly popular and definitely more polarizing than any other brand of audio gear.

I think the Cadillac analogy is a good one. Arguably the CTS V-Sport gives up nothing to a BMW 5 Series. Everything, that is, except the BMW meatball. But it is a Cadillac, and they are for rich old people who don’t know any better, just like McIntosh is for rich doctors and lawyers who don’t know anything about good sound.

McIntosh has made their fair share of Eldorados and Cimmarons so there is that.

High end audio is niche market that loves high touch and is driven by the personalities of the people who run the companies involved. Joe Grado (rip), Paul McGowan, Nelson Pass, Ken Shindo (rip), Charley Hansen (rip), Dr. William Conrad and Dr. Lewis Johnson, Mark Levinson, Dan D’Agostino, David Wilson (rip), James Bongiorno (rip), Roy Gandy, Jim Thiel (rip), Harry Weisfeld, Ivor Tiefenbrun, the list goes on.

You can draw your own conclusions about the longevity of some of these folks.....

McIntosh is an anomaly that has survived for three or four generations, multiple corporate parents, and some really good and really bad owners.

Sorry for the ramble. I guess I am trying to say that McIntosh is a unique enterprise that has stood the test of time.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 10-12-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Greetings from NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Chericelise.......For me, McIntosh is the sound of music. It is as simple as that. No matter what other manufacturer's amplifiers and preamplifiers I have heard in people's systems or my own, McIntosh always makes me feel like I have returned home. It's comfortable, cozy, and feels just right. Not only does the equipment sound astonishing by all measure, it has an essence of truth in its sound that does not try to exaggerate any part of the frequency spectrum in an attempt to claim some sort of greater resolution, claims that many other companies make but seem only to be able to produce an etched presentation that in the long term does not please my ears. I'm not saying there aren't many wonderful power amplifiers and preamplifiers available from well known manufacturers, but there isn't one that has been able to pull me away from the joy that McIntosh preamplifiers and power amplifiers have given me for over five decades of hi-end audio involvement. Come to think of it, there isn't another audio company that I can think of that has produced such an extensive catalog of audio equipment for 70 years other than McIntosh. It's not uncommon to see 50 year old McIntosh components still in service and sounding excellent, even by today's standards. McIntosh still provide parts and service for most of their gear no matter its age. What other audio manufacturer can make that statement. I am also fond of the fact that McIntosh is manufactured in the USA, creating jobs and helping support American families. That means something in this day and time.

So, to answer your question, "is Mcintosh the most popular and sought after Hifi brand?", I would say it certainly is popular on a worldwide basis among a large segment of experienced audio enthusiasts. Most popular? Who knows, but you would not fail to recognize McIntosh gear when you see it, even from across the room, and you will see lots of it in plenty of high-end sound systems around the world.

By the way, it is McIntosh, not Mcintosh.

Here is a YouTube video I posted four years ago of my now 54 year old McIntosh MA230 integrated amplifier still producing amazing sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1eEhFwApxE
Dan: By far one of the best posts I have read here or anywhere. You captured the essence of the topic. Jim
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 10-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
just like McIntosh is for rich doctors and lawyers who don’t know anything about good sound.
Tom.......

Thanks for the good laugh and the walk down memory lane. I can't tell you how many time over many decades I have heard those exact words out of the mouths of sales people in audio stores that did not sell McIntosh. Everything in their stores outperformed McIntosh. Just ask them, or not, because they'll tell you anyway. Mention McIntosh in some of these stores and you become instantly unwelcome. That phrase was repeated so many times to the general audio population that it gained legs and became accepted validation among those who either could not afford to buy McIntosh, or were convinced their Technics, Pioneer, or Kenwood super receivers and Advent speakers bested anything McIntosh offered. Everything old is new again if one just waits long enough. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-13-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:37 PM

Thanks Dan - I thought my post was pretty snarky after I re-read yours, so I’m glad you took it in the spirit it was written - with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Greetings from NC

Well how do you like this. An audio store located in NC once had negative comments about McIntosh when they no longer carried the brand. Instead of selling me on the attributes of the brands they carried at the time they were negative to the McIntosh. Anyway, after all those years they now carry McIntosh again. So what does that tell you? Funny how things come back around.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 10-12-2019, 11:43 PM

Default Is Mcintosh the most popular Hifi brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
Well how do you like this. An audio store located in NC once had negative comments about McIntosh when they no longer carried the brand. Instead of selling me on the attributes of the brands they carried at the time they were negative to the McIntosh. Anyway, after all those years they now carry McIntosh again. So what does that tell you? Funny how things come back around.

Reminds me of local shop that once carried McIntosh and B&W. Always touted both as the absolute best, no equals. When he was cut by both manufacturers, he suddenly slammed their products mercilessly. Needless to say I don’t shop there anymore.