AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-22-2018, 05:01 PM

Someone posted in another forum that the MCD550 uses the Sabre 9018 chip. That was the only mention I could find online.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM

Glenn,
The McIntosh website says the 550 is fully balanced so it also uses 2 DAC's in parallel. I don't know about any of the other characteristics I listed - except that McIntosh really knows how to make super quiet power supplies.

My suggestion is to start another thread on the 550 because we're hijacking this one.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
My suggestion is to start another thread on the 550 because we're hijacking this one.
Tom.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Retired

As the OP morphed this one into the MCD500 when he traded for same, I'm guessing he doesn't mind. But, I'll start another thread if I come up with more questions or info on the MCD550 or its double, the MCD1100. For now, the MCD301 is performing yoeman service. No complaints.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
As the OP morphed this one into the MCD500 when he traded for same, I'm guessing he doesn't mind. But, I'll start another thread if I come up with more questions or info on the MCD550 or its double, the MCD1100. For now, the MCD301 is performing yoeman service. No complaints.
Most of the threads I started are about the exploration of an idea or the outworking of a process. This one started with a seemingly inordinate amount of time (to me) for a repair on my 301. The same problem manifested itself again, which gave increased impetus to the exploration of other options and the eventual trade-in toward the 500 I now have. So there's a kind of flow to it all.

As for the 550, I did consider it but was swayed by the opportunity for an NOS unit (500) over a used one (550); plus, as I said earlier, Mike at Audio Classics said that the 500's disc drive mechanism was more robust than the 550's; those two things sealed the deal for me, especially since it was my 301's disc drive mechanism (probably the belt, thought Mike) that was problematic. But since I mentioned the 550, I suppose it's fair game to some extent for it to come up.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 02-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Semi-audiophile

Does anyone use the DAC in their MCD500, 301, 550 or whatever player you have with a music player (Sony HAP-Z1ES, for example)?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 AM

I used the DACs in my MCD 500 and MCD 1100 all the time before I bought a dedicated outboard DAC. Both players worked very well, with the MCD 1100 having better Sonics. If I used jRiver as a music player, still do.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I used the DACs in my MCD 500 and MCD 1100 all the time before I bought a dedicated outboard DAC. Both players worked very well, with the MCD 1100 having better Sonics. If I used jRiver as a music player, still do.
Something to consider, when my checking account returns to sufficient health. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Semi-audiophile

Does anyone have a Marantz player and any experience with it vs. the MCD500? Wondering if a Marantz uses something other than the ESS Sabre.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

It's official. I'm exploring the Marantz PM-KI Ruby SACD player as a possible replacement for my MCD500, or even the SA-10, if I found a tremendous deal. This is because I'm not a fan of the ESS Sabre DAC.

Whether or not I do this depends, in great measure, on what happens with my purchase of a new TV. It's a 55" Sony A9G, but I've never seen one showing standard definition. Being in a hurry because I had some days off, I went to the dealer's showroom and evaluated Sony's new A8H at 65" since it uses the same video processor (A9Gs won't be on display for another week or so, as the store was out). Using one of my go-to evaluation DVDs, the picture wasn't good, frankly; the A8H was out of the box and, unlike the Master Series A9G, isn't pre-calibrated by Sony before shipping, nor had the store done its calibrations. I ordered and paid for the 55" A9G anyway, having been stunned by the 65" set last year at Best Buy (but that was with 4K content), and had some buyer's remorse the next day, since the bulk of my video library is DVDs. I called the store to discuss things.

I will be notified when the A9G is on display, and I will head back to the store with several DVDs in order to evaluate the A9G more properly. If I like its performance with SD material, the purchase will stand; I may even go for the 65" one. But if not, I'm thinking to pivot to some Salamander racks or, now, a Marantz SACD player. The store is an authorized Marantz dealer so the money already paid could go toward the new player. Parenthetically, the new Marantz Model 30 components were on display and are gorgeous.

Another option is to try a trade-in with the MCD500 to Audio Classics (where I got it) for a Ruby, which might be close to a straight-up exchange given the Ruby's price. So my wheels are turning, again. I've even pulled out the February TAS to re-read the review of the Ruby.