AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
David, you might need more than a week....I wouldn't make any critical judgements until you've got a month or so of play...50-60hrs assuming 2hrs a day...
+2

Jeff
Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Stephen.......I totally agree, and that is the same advice I have been offering. I think David believes he can rush break in by willing it to happen. A minimum of 100 albums, played on both sides all the way through will yield approximately 50 hours of break in. It's not rocket science. There's no short cut to this process. The time has to be put in.

As for the surface noise on older albums, I have suggested the vinyl be washed, either by hand or in a record cleaning machine. There's years of crud in those grooves. Don't blame a stylus shape or a particular cartridge for a dirty record. Playing dirty vinyl will also speed stylus wear, as well as further excellerate groove wall deterioration. Don't play dirty vinyl.
Dan,
I couldn't agree more. It's like trying to tell a woman to have a baby in 3 months; it's still going to take 9 months. You can't will it to happen in 3 months.

If one thinks this is bad, components with Teflon caps need a good 300-500 hours, and Dynaudio speakers need 200-350 hours to fully run-in. A lot of Dyn customers sell the speakers before they've run in, not liking the sound despite experienced Dyn owners admonishing them to give them time...they will get there.

Regarding record cleaning, I've noticed a considerable reduction in surface noise with record washing using a good RCM...many LPs that are in good shape to start with become dead quiet.

If an RCM is not in the budget presently, even the Spin-Clean at $80 would be a vast improvement.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Ok I know I need more time and a cleaning machine I am curious about the spin clean since it does both sides at the same time and looks pretty simple, anyone have any experience with it ?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I don't, but I've read great things about it from users. I am thinking of getting one in addition to my VPI 16.5, just to use for cleaning really dirty records before the VPI. i buy a lot of used stuff that can be pretty dirty, though the records are fine once cleaned.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM

I have not listened to digital since I started playing vinyl. I am ordered my spin clean, like you said it might be good as pre cursor to something like a VPI for really dirty LP's . Albums that are pretty clean I am keeping in mobile fidelity master sleeves.

Last edited by 1KW; 03-09-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM

I used the Spin Clean before my CA Double Matrix arrived. I thought it did a fine job of cleaning LP's. I didn't care for the manual method, so I moved to the Matrix. Also, I had several thousand used albums to clean. I couldn't see myself spending 4-5 minutes per album. For $80 you cannot go wrong!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Ok I know I need more time and a cleaning machine I am curious about the spin clean since it does both sides at the same time and looks pretty simple, anyone have any experience with it ?
I have one, David. It's good for cleaning a batch...cumbersome for cleaning a few. I've surely gotten some dirty records pretty clean, but I do want to have something that vacuums out the grooves as it can't get everything.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I have not listened to digital since I started playing vinyl. I am ordered my spin clean, like you said it might be good as pre cursor to something like a VPI for really dirty LP's . Albums that are pretty clean I am keeping mobile in fidelity master sleeves.
david,

This is great news... so much great vinyl out there!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 PM

For the last few years since I got into listening to music through my Mcintosh system almost all the new music I bought was jazz or female vocals because that was the music that sounded good on my stereo. Rock music from CD's just did not sound good so I stopped listening unless I was in my car or in my home gym exercising.

Now that I have a decent turntable my rock albums sound FANTASTIC ! All my albums including: Phil Collins, The Police, Little Feet, Billy Joel Albums, Roxy Music, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Elton John etc. sound so much better than the digital versions which I have to listen to at lower volumes in comparison due to listener fatigue. I am hopeful that when the 24 bit master tape versions are sold in itunes we will have the best of both worlds but for now I will keep buying vinyl classic rock for a few bucks a pop. I bought Fleetwood Mac and Fleetwood Mac-Rumors for $1.99 each and they are both in mint condition. I see Elusive disk is selling the 180 gm version for $25 . These original versions sound great . I am trying to weed thorugh and only keep the albums I plan to listen to .
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 PM

I wish that everyone could hear see this....