AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
+1-I was surprised at how much improvement it made.
Have you ever done any a/b comparisons with other SUTs? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how they compared and why you went with the Ypsilon.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM

Well if you get a decent one you might like how it sounds better than a preamp with a built in stage. You will have that option and versatility that's why I'm asking a price point.

Can you add some color - how/why could it sound better? No MT 10 yet - it's on the top of the list.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankkor View Post
Well if you get a decent one you might like how it sounds better than a preamp with a built in stage. You will have that option and versatility that's why I'm asking a price point.

Can you add some color - how/why could it sound better? No MT 10 yet - it's on the top of the list.
Yes it can change the dynamic and color and depending on the circuitry and design it can sound better or worse. The same goes for the built in stage from one manufacturer to another and or product line.

Then we have the fact that you can achieve good results with a specific cartridge and stage combo. Then if you switch the cartridge they don't sound good together. It's not the stage or the cartridge that's bad it's the combination of the two that don't complement each other well.

Best results are achieved by trial and error, working with your system and what sounds good to you. But you need a starting point and Ivan gave you one that will not break the bank. I wouldn't start to cheap or dump thousands into a starting point. If it's a good product with a reputation it will sell if it's not right for you. I would also lean to units with adjustable gain and loading it opens your cartridge options and better for resale if needed.

Clearaudio
Musical Surroundings
Ortofon

These are some companies to look at and if the MT10 comes with a cartridge and your choice of, find out about them. If it's an added on cost to have McIntosh supply the cartridge then look around and ask what cartridges will benefit you and your musical taste.

I know I'm somewhat vague but we really don't know what you have or what you're getting. Is the MT10 a good deck at that price point? Compare to others at equal cost? It's kind of hard to just buy expensive audio components putting them together as a system and say it sounds good.

It might be best to lay out your plans as to what you're thinking of combining as a whole system. There might be other options that you never heard of. I know I don't know about 80% of the component discussed on this site. Someone might have good or bad input on what you're considering investing in.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
Have you ever done any a/b comparisons with other SUTs? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how they compared and why you went with the Ypsilon.
I have tried an Audionote and a chinese triode based transformer in the past.
The Ypsilon MC5-the smallest one-was more transparent ,much greater detail,greater rhythmic drive and tighter better defined bass.
There was no contest.
I only need the MC 5 as my Air Tight PC3 has a relatively high output.Hope that helps.
Ross