AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM

They were featuring the new Nova at RMAF last week, and it sounded very good: articulate, fast bass and very well balanced overall.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Retired

I was always 'put off' with the over-the-top leather highlights of Sonus Faber (to say nothing of the their "old" sound (to my ears)), which served no purpose. For one, I think it has taken Sonus Faber longer than about any high-end equipment supplier to move into the 21st century. I now find their design, fit & finish second to none these days (on the two higher tiers of speakers) and their SQ thoroughly 'modern' in providing excellent sound.

With the new Olympica Nova III out the predecessor III is hitting the market with some great pricing. Am kicking tires on new speakers and was very impressed with the Olympica IIIs.

Sopra 2s, Wilson Sophia, Canton Ref 5K, Treo CT, JA Perspective ......... so many excellent speakers in the <$10K price range. May even stretch and listen to the Serafino if I run across a pair while shopping. Lots of listening to do over the next several months. The sad part of it is that I will likely never have the opportunity to A/B any of them as they will all reside at different dealers.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Default Olympica Nova

I’ve set up a couple of pairs of O III’s for friends. You can extract some magic from them.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Anybody else noticed the Sonus Faber Olympica *Nova* ad in the latest Stereophile? A completely re-designed line that looks essentially like a cross of the original Olympicas and the latest Tradition line.

It's not the first time they do this, of course. The Cremonas and Cremonas M come to mind, and, of course, the "tradition" line is the fourth incarnation of the original Homage series. Not crazy about the Nova aesthetics, however, since it looks like most of the leather is now gone. I had a soft spot for the look of the original Olympicas, and I considered them the best looking SF line since the brand changed hands (yes, I think they look better than the Aida, etc... I thought the side/vertical ports looked terrific, and the leather on the top was a genius idea).

Overall, it looks like they are trying to use the new Amati as the starting point, which I assume simplifies the manufacturing/assembly process and saves on cost.

There is no mention of this revamped Olympica anywhere else, however. At least none that I could find.
A friend has just purchased the Nova, I have seen and heard them first hand. I own the O3's and find the new Nova better in every way!!!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I’ve set up a couple of pairs of O III’s for friends. You can extract some magic from them.
Tom - Do you listen to your Futura in 2-channel? If so, how would you compare them to the O III's?
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-09-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Yes, I do. I would say the OIII’s have a strong family resemblance with the Futuras. I never had them side by side in the same space, so my observations are colored by that fact.

I’d say the Futura’s have deeper and better defined bass, and they have a more refined midrange. Overall tonality is very similar, and both speakers benefit from careful setup.

I look forward to lower prices on the OIII’s as that may enable me to add them to our lake house system.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I was always 'put off' with the over-the-top leather highlights of Sonus Faber (to say nothing of the their "old" sound (to my ears)), which served no purpose. For one, I think it has taken Sonus Faber longer than about any high-end equipment supplier to move into the 21st century. I now find their design, fit & finish second to none these days (on the two higher tiers of speakers) and their SQ thoroughly 'modern' in providing excellent sound.

With the new Olympica Nova III out the predecessor III is hitting the market with some great pricing. Am kicking tires on new speakers and was very impressed with the Olympica IIIs.

Sopra 2s, Wilson Sophia, Canton Ref 5K, Treo CT, JA Perspective ......... so many excellent speakers in the <$10K price range. May even stretch and listen to the Serafino if I run across a pair while shopping. Lots of listening to do over the next several months. The sad part of it is that I will likely never have the opportunity to A/B any of them as they will all reside at different dealers.

Glenn - What is ‘old’ or ‘modern’ sound?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-09-2019, 02:25 PM
Retired

Tom - thank you for your thoughts.

Craig - Old for me is warm & slow. A rather warm & languid presentation, if you will. Horn & planar speakers were the early providers of a 'faster' sound (with noted deficincies - lack of bass, shrill treble, etc., in many cases). The refinements of box speakers starting in the '90s (computer design & analysis was likely a very big help) and they have pretty much caught up to horn & planar speakers, which have also benefited from computers. To my ears, Sonus Faber was one of the laggards in this regard and did not really turn the corner on same until some years into this century. I can't really say when or what model, as I no longer bothered to listen to them until the last year, or so. However, Sonus Faber had an established 'house sound', as did McIntosh, and were likely much influenced in not wanting to make a big 'step-change' that would result in unhappy long-term customers. As we all have our own ears, YMMV.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Tom - thank you for your thoughts.

Craig - Old for me is warm & slow. A rather warm & languid presentation, if you will. Horn & planar speakers were the early providers of a 'faster' sound (with noted deficincies - lack of bass, shrill treble, etc., in many cases). The refinements of box speakers starting in the '90s (computer design & analysis was likely a very big help) and they have pretty much caught up to horn & planar speakers, which have also benefited from computers. To my ears, Sonus Faber was one of the laggards in this regard and did not really turn the corner on same until some years into this century. I can't really say when or what model, as I no longer bothered to listen to them until the last year, or so. However, Sonus Faber had an established 'house sound', as did McIntosh, and were likely much influenced in not wanting to make a big 'step-change' that would result in unhappy long-term customers. As we all have our own ears, YMMV.

I understand. Would you say B&W or Magicos are modern?

By your definition, all I have ever heard from those manufacturers (limited sampling) has been on the modern or brighter side to my ears.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 10-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Retired

Hmmmm......... I would pretty much put B&W in the same boat as Sonus Faber. The newer the better. Like with SF, I stopped listening to B&W until about 2005 (or whenever the 'Diamond' tweeter first arrived). I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement in sound with that series and they've been good, if not great, to my ears since. I would not call them bright, but have only listened to them with McIntosh gear, which tends to not be bright. I've never heard a Magico speaker, so cannot comment on them.

However, I was very pleased by the SF O IIIs as I was with the Sopra 2 and Quattro CT and will do considerable listening between now and next May (decision time). Size is one of my considerations and I want the best SQ from the smallest tower. You know.......... an Aida 2 that's only 38"x8"x10". The impossible............ The O III is at the upper limit of size & weight for me. Plus, I find its finish to be so good that it enters into the equation, which I usually try not to allow.