AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Default M&K Speakers, Anyone use them?

Anybody out there use M&K (Miller and Kreisel) speakers in their HT?

They went out of business some years back, but the property rights were bought out buy a Danish company a few years ago. They are trying to make another go of it.

They had a wide speaker product offering. They also have had some great subs (MX-5000, MX350, etc.).

I have 8 of their S-150 speakers and 2 MX-350 subs in my HT. I have used these for years and I love them. Not having seen mention of them in AA, I was wondering what others felt about these.

Thanks;

Dave
Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Dave.......I haven't heard M&K speakers since the early 1980's. During that time Miller & Kreisel were well respected. They just faded off the radar screen.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM

A friend of mine has some. I had never heard of them before, but he loves them.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM

I have a MX-350 that was used in a HT a few years back, just sitting in the closet now. I have had the S-150 speakers and loved them for HT duties sound amazing. The new company that has the M&K speakers have been out for about 4 years now. I read somewhere that Kreisel has designed new speakers.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM

I'm officially an M&K Addict - although I just sold off a pair of Bookshelf 75 speakers.
The brand got pigeon holed as a "home theater" speaker but that's far from their true strength. They image so well it's scary. They're a great MUSIC speaker and work very well as a mixing monitor if you have space for them on the console bridge. ( or have tall stands or wall mounts). I'm currently using a set of S-150THX in one of my systems. the full list of models I own are:

(2) S-5000THX - pending refurbishing. they need grill cloth and the foam appliques on the front baffles.
(2) S-150THX currently in use.
(3) S-85 stored,
(2) SS-150THX Tripole Surrounds - patiently waiting to be put back into a home theater system .
(5) S-100b ( which is the same as the S-150THX in a shallow cabinet)
MX70 sub
(2) V-125 subs
(3) M&K Stands - need to get a shorter post for these - they were from a studio and had 6 foot posts

The Bookshelf 75 were sold locally on Fathers day - glad someone will get some use out of them. I'd love to own a pair of S-1c but I haven't seen a set listed in well over 3 years.

The S-85 paired with a sub is an amazing mini M&K set up. Same drivers as the S-125./ S100b and S-150THX

Basically I'm a FAN of Miller & Kreisel for sure.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM

I'm a fan here as well of the original M&K, and was glad to see Ken's return last year and it was right on time for me as my beloved MX150 THX sub was 14yrs old and still working fine with the drivers in pristine shape. Let me start by saying Ken's new subs are breathtaking and I used his trade in program for M&K owners and got the DXD12012 (or MX5000 MK3) in which he addressed the rep for M&K subs are great for music, upper bass punch and content down to 20hz , but they don't extend deep enough, Not anymore! the DXD12012 still retains the dual 12" pushpull design but uses (2) 400w class H clarity monoblocks with 2000w peak and extension down to 10hz. I believe as of last month he released the rest of the speaker line up as well and there is also a smaller sub the DXD808 that many say can replace an MX350! That should say enough about his new subs.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:25 AM

I'm a huge M&K fan... got my first pair (S-1b) back in 1983.

I really loved the ability to dial in the 'character' of the sound via the two rear dials. I listen to a wide variety of music and have yet to find a single pair of speakers that I can truly enjoy as much as the S-1b.

Glad Mr. K is in the mix again. I've had the pleasure of his assistance on a couple of details over the last few years. He's truly a gentleman that loves what he does.