AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 AM
Go Dawgs

Well, I'm the furthest person on this planet from a conspiracy guy, but I think it's incredibly interesting.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-28-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Well, I'm the furthest person on this planet from a conspiracy guy, but I think it's incredibly interesting.

- Buck
same here
Old 03-28-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Yes. A little over a month earlier I'd read the opinion piece in the New York Post that's reproduced in the Marketwatch link in the OP. And noted that within a few days of its original publication its speculation was all but touted as veritable fact on a TV opinion show. Without going into details that might well violate the appropriately-set non-political boundaries here, that was a distraction and "unhelpful contributor to the politicization" of the public health crisis that was already thundering down upon us.
With all respect Jim, that is one hell of a stretch. That said, at least I now know where you were coming from.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Iceland has a relatively small population. What is their “prolific” testing telling us?

https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...-the-outbreak/
Old 03-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Iceland has a relatively small population. What is their “prolific” testing telling us?

https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...-the-outbreak/
Yes, Iceland has really been on top of this. I posted another thread about their program in another thread with additional references.

Not only is Iceland testing virtually anyone who wants a test free of charge, they are also sequencing every positive to track the mutation spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 through thier population. They are basically tracking the molecular evolution of the virus.

The company that is doing this, deCode, is legendary in the molecular biology field for this type of work. When I did similar genetic disease test development in my career in Biotech, these guys were regarded as "rock stars" in the area of human molecular genetics and characterizing the constellation of molecular polymorphisms in their founder population genetics.

The Danes and Dutch are doing outstanding work as well.

Something ancillary of note: In my 40 year career in biotech and human molecular genetics and genetic test development, something I've noted is the magnitude of significant scientific contribution in terms of seminal work and volume and quality of scientific publications in genetics and molecular biology, molecular immunology, etc., from Denmark, the Netherlands, and Iceland. They put out an incredible amount of incredibly high quality work when you factor in the small populations of these countries. The quality and volume of their scientific work, per capita, is off the charts.

In other words, they've GOT IT GOIN' ON.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-28-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:00 PM

Great topic Stephen. Let me throw some fuel on this fire:

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Harvard University Professor and Two Chinese Nationals Charged in Three Separate China Related Cases

The Department of Justice announced today that the Chair of Harvard University’s Chemistry and Chemical Biology Department and two Chinese nationals have been charged in connection with aiding the People’s Republic of China.

Dr. Charles Lieber, 60, Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Harvard University, was arrested this morning and charged by criminal complaint with one count of making a materially false, fictitious and fraudulent statement. Lieber will appear this afternoon before Magistrate Judge Marianne B. Bowler in federal court in Boston, Massachusetts.

Yanqing Ye, 29, a Chinese national, was charged in an indictment today with one count each of visa fraud, making false statements, acting as an agent of a foreign government and conspiracy. Ye is currently in China.

Zaosong Zheng, 30, a Chinese national, was arrested on Dec. 10, 2019, at Boston’s Logan International Airport and charged by criminal complaint with attempting to smuggle 21 vials of biological research to China. On Jan. 21, 2020, Zheng was indicted on one count of smuggling goods from the United States and one count of making false, fictitious or fraudulent statements. He has been detained since Dec. 30, 2019.

Unbeknownst to Harvard University beginning in 2011, Lieber became a “Strategic Scientist” at Wuhan University of Technology (WUT) in China and was a contractual participant in China’s Thousand Talents Plan from in or about 2012 to 2017.

I wonder what was in those 21 vials?
Old 03-28-2020, 07:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Great topic Stephen. Let me throw some fuel on this fire:

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Harvard University Professor and Two Chinese Nationals Charged in Three Separate China Related Cases

The Department of Justice announced today that the Chair of Harvard University’s Chemistry and Chemical Biology Department and two Chinese nationals have been charged in connection with aiding the People’s Republic of China.

Dr. Charles Lieber, 60, Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Harvard University, was arrested this morning and charged by criminal complaint with one count of making a materially false, fictitious and fraudulent statement. Lieber will appear this afternoon before Magistrate Judge Marianne B. Bowler in federal court in Boston, Massachusetts.

Yanqing Ye, 29, a Chinese national, was charged in an indictment today with one count each of visa fraud, making false statements, acting as an agent of a foreign government and conspiracy. Ye is currently in China.

Zaosong Zheng, 30, a Chinese national, was arrested on Dec. 10, 2019, at Boston’s Logan International Airport and charged by criminal complaint with attempting to smuggle 21 vials of biological research to China. On Jan. 21, 2020, Zheng was indicted on one count of smuggling goods from the United States and one count of making false, fictitious or fraudulent statements. He has been detained since Dec. 30, 2019.

Unbeknownst to Harvard University beginning in 2011, Lieber became a “Strategic Scientist” at Wuhan University of Technology (WUT) in China and was a contractual participant in China’s Thousand Talents Plan from in or about 2012 to 2017.

I wonder what was in those 21 vials?
This is correct, Beowulf. Wuhan University of Technology paid Lieber $50,000 a month, approximately $158,000 in living expenses and $1.5 million to establish a research laboratory in exchange for working on behalf of the university for “not less than nine months a year” beginning in 2011, charging documents say.

Also, DOJ has documented that the Thousand Talents Plan have rewarded individuals for stealing proprietary information and violating export controls. One of the charges against Zaosong Zheng was for...violating export controls.

And just to clarify once again, I didn't start this thread to start or throw fuel on any fire, but rather share the questions that arose for me from reading a published scientifc paper.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-28-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:13 PM

Interesting question. https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71529...anish/amp.html
Old 03-30-2020, 04:11 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Old 03-30-2020, 04:20 PM

A friend forwarded me this short documentary. Rather insightful but disturbing and not just because of the virus itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycrq...QLhUmBUKcr0Bds
Closed Thread