AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 03-27-2020, 02:11 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

JSpy... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-27-2020, 02:14 PM

The newest update should show up when you download the app plus auto updates the app when new firmwares are released. I am able to set auto off/on with app
Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 PM

My firmware
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 65BB9366-B1BF-4213-8F0A-B14BB287D3FA.jpeg (238.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:58 PM

Thx guys! I am in South Africa, Corona virus so time to play with new toy.
My firmware is very different: 6.25.37.85 and my app which I downloaded this week when I got the sub does not have the option to set auto on/off which is really stupid!
I assume the diff is if you buy US based or European based. My serial number is FP38490-1709-001797.
Will run Audyssey tomorrow and feedback on results.
Now 21:54 in SA. Are you also in locked down states? Virus about to climb drastically here!
Old 03-28-2020, 04:00 PM

Stay at home order in Harris Co., TX (Houston metro). I work in an essential business (energy) yet my employer urges working from home. Both my wife and I are working from home. Had to bump internet (fiber) up from 45mbps to 1000mbps. I would not think regional softwares are required. Good luck reaching out to B&W CS - never heard back in all my times asking questions.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

I am a mech engineer working for SA's biggest Aerospace manufacturer, direct supplier to Boeing and Airbus. Even before the virus we started the year with a layoff program for around 10% of our staff due to Boeings halt of production and subsequent slowdown of production on the 737 MAX. Now off course we affected on all Airbus work with aerospace taking a particularly large knock thus far. Wife is an accountant with a law firm and we will both work from home during lockdown which is set to end 16 Apr but could easily be extended.
Completed Audyssey yesterday, sub is placed just to the front and outside of the R speaker but calcalulated to be 3ft behind the speaker. Volume reduced by -10db. This is similar to what I am using for stereo on XLR LFE based on hearing, using around -6 to -8 based on the music track. Luckily this gives more than enough leeway to use the gain control in the app.
I installed a switch on the amp power chord (cannot switch the mains off everytime as I am running multiple equipment from the same power conditioner. With no way to disable auto-on this works - must switch off the sub and then the switch before it powers on again - this is bad design from B&W.
Apart from this issue I can report that I am extremely impressed and satisfied with the sub, very tangible improvement over the PV1D which is not a bad sub for music at all. Watched a few music DVD's and listened to many tracks (Roon/Tidal) and the sub blends perfectly with the 804D3's. What amazes is how much it adds even at lower playing volumes, here it is a vast improvement over the PV1D.
I also considered JL Audio F110 V2's (the 112 is too big) but the problem is that in SA the F110 is more expensive than the DB2D! Direct imports whereas B&W has a big local agent and of course benefits from volume selling. REL's here are not well represented and I was not considering SVS.
Looking forward to many hours of listening bliss, as long as B&W does not further screw up the app options. I think they are trying to simplify it too much and taking control out of the hands of the user, a bit of an Apple like approach
Old 04-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Just got and installed my DB2D as the final piece to my stereo. Thought I'd share my experience in setting it up as my final setup was different than I initially thought.
My setup
  • Lyngdorf tdai-2170 pre-amp
  • Lyngdorf sda-2400 power-amp
  • 2x B&W 805D3
  • 1x DB2D
I have two signal outputs on the the tdai: digital and analog (I don’t use the speakers terminals right now). The digital out goes to the sda (+805's) and the DB2D is on the analog. I can setup a low-pass and high pass filer on the tdai, so I put the low pass on the analog and high-pass on the digital.
At first I had the crossover around 100Hz Lr 2nd order, so the DB2D would get as many notes as possible and the handover would be wide. I figured the large cones should sound better than the ones on the 805’s and this would give them more room to focus on higher notes. However, I couldn’t get it to sound right. The stereo image was lost and at higher freqs the DB2D makes a sound that gives me a headache. I was getting a bit frustrated with my buy.
After a night’s sleep I started thinking about why I wanted the sub in first place: to help out the 805's where they couldn’t reach low enough. Maybe I should go lower.
I looked at the measurements from stereophile to figure out the point where the 805’s started needing help. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements. Then I took 5 Hz steps up and down to figure out my sweet spot. Disabled the 805’s to listen to only the DB2 playing on the analog track, and disabled the DB2 to only hear the 805’s. It was actually a surprise to me that the 805 don’t need as much help as I thought. They do remarkably well down to 40hz. Below that they lose definition though, so I thought that would be a good crossover. To make sure the DB2B gets the most notes without ever getting anywhere near vocal range I used a 4th order LR filter to get a quick roll-off.
My final setting is LR 4th order @40Hz for both the low and high-pass filters. Everything else I right in the middle (also in the app, I have the DB2 setup as ‘other speaker, everything in the middle). I let RoomPerfect find the calibration.
Now I really can’t tell where the sub starts to kick in, it blends seamlessly with the 805’s. The stereo image is still spot on and for tracks that have lower notes it has that ‘wall of sound’ too. The bass is completely integrated with the rest of the stereo image and it is tight and controlled. With demanding tracks at high volume it delivers without flinching, effortless. Sometime a setup will get certain parts right but mess up others, this just hits every note and I’m pretty picky when it comes to audio. I am happy and impressed.
I have it positioned just to the right of the righthand speaker, behind the couch. On spikes that I gave a good push into the floor. If I play only the sub track I can tell where it is, but if I play the 805’s too my mind puts the stereo image exactly between the speakers. This saves me from putting that big box in the middle of the room below the TV. Actually it works better for me than having it in the middle because my mind would associate sound with the box. Now I don’t see it I don’t have that.
The low cut-off does have one peculiar effect tho: quite a few songs don’t have notes that low or only a few. For those the DB2D just sits there doing nothing, maybe play a few notes here and there. This is a bit odd for a 3500 euro piece of kit, instinctively you want it to help out a lot more. This might explain the frustration of certain users in this forum.
But after having given it some thought, for me as an audiophile, this is exactly what I want it to do. Its task as a sub is to support and extend the main speakers where they end. For the 805’s this is actually a pretty small part to play, for many songs none at all. Above 40Hz, the 805’s just sound better, the DB2 should stay out of there. Mind you, this is for my 805’s, for 804’s and bigger, that’ll probably be even lower.
Hope this helps others in their buying decisions and getting the most out of their DBxD.
These are the tracks that made me think I might need a sub (and boy was I right). I used these to find the sweet spot (Tidal Masters for most):
• Avi Kaplan – Change On The Rise
• Bat For Lashes – Kids In The Dark
• The Weeknd – Blinding Lights
• Coldplay – Up&Up
• Paula Abdul – Rush
• Moderat – A New Error
• Andrea Bocelli – Fall On Me
• Jorja Smith – February 3rd
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the report, g. Glad it worked out. One question, and one observation: First, why didn't you use the B&W app to choose the crossover for you? Just curious--I really like the feature. Second, as a longtime sub lover, I'd be surprised if there were many songs that did not take advantage of the sub. I hope you'll try some A/B testing and report back. Cheers!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:34 AM

I did (and do) use that, the reason why I usually run with the manual setup is the low end on the 805's. I also played around with the low-pass signal on the 805's to see where they kind of end, and for certain tracks (like Kids in the Dark) what is supposed to be a conituous note turns into this soft undefined woofy mush. I wanted to 'trim that off', down there the db2 just sounds better. Lately I been running mostly with the manual setup, to me that just hits the sweet spot. And I do love tinkering with this stuff
Old 05-03-2020, 04:50 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

gjvdkamp... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES