AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 AM

Default Sonus Faber "lushness" and "beauty" - what is/was it?

A number of reviewers have called the sound of (particularly last generation) SF speakers "lush," and I have to agree.

When I've heard the Amati Anniversario and the Stradivari Homage (and to a lesser extent, the Guarneri Memento), they simply sounded beautiful - perhaps more beautiful and yes, lush - than they should have been if one were to listen to a more clinical monitor speaker like the B&W 802s.

However, to me the Elipsa never shared that particular sound quality, and the Amati Futura seems to have "lost" it as well, where the Guarnari has the signature "beauty" but lacks the scale the Amati Anniversario, Stradivari Homage (as well as the Amati Futura) are capable of.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has a good analysis as to what precisely the "lush" SF speakers were doing to the sound that the newer SF speakers do not. Was it a peak (or valley) in the midrange? A particular spectral balance?

Though I think accuracy is of vital importance, I also feel making the music sound "good" to the listener is also important, and have been just a tad surprised that the newer SF speakers don't seem to have that as a design goal any longer.

Now I readily admit I've heard neither the Sonus Faber nor the Aida, so I don't know whether they impart the legendary SF "beauty" to the sound, but I'm just curious if anyone with a more critical ear (or the appropriate lab equipment) knows just what characteristics of those speakers caused the "lushness" that always signified SF to me.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM

To my ears the sound of the speakers Franco voiced had the lush, most musical quality but still offered great resolution and detail. The Franco voiced models have an emotional element I crave. His death makes me very sad...

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Who said Franco is dead ?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Who said Franco is dead ?
David
You have missed two other threads here today. I don't think they are April Fools jokes.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post

Though I think accuracy is of vital importance, I also feel making the music sound "good" to the listener is also important, and have been just a tad surprised that the newer SF speakers don't seem to have that as a design goal any longer.
Accuracy and good are not mutually exclusive. If a speaker is accurate it will sound good. The natural (accurate) sound of instruments and vocal should be the goal.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Franco Serblin was the first to design loudspeakers using artisan processes and basing his final design on hearing as opposed to measurements. Most companies until then focused on achieving better measured results. Franco fine tubed his speakers based on his own hearing, and what hearing is was!
He was always seeking for a speaker that does the music justice and not one that reaches the highest highs or lowest lows. I think that's what makes SF so special to this day.

The Amati Anniversario and Stradivari were his last designs in SF I believe.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
That in itself explains so much, and why I valued those over newer SF designs.

I'm sure the differences can be analyzed on any number of pieces of lab equipment, but I suspect it will be somewhat like trying to reproduce the sound of a Stradivarius, ironically enough.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
That in itself explains so much, and why I valued those over newer SF designs.

I'm sure the differences can be analyzed on any number of pieces of lab equipment, but I suspect it will be somewhat like trying to reproduce the sound of a Stradivarius, ironically enough.
Next time you have the opportunity when you are listening to a pair of Stradivari's, grab a book the size of an A4 or similar & put it above the midrange & below the tweeter. Have a good listen to the tweeter, then do the same with the midrange to the base as well, it is actually a very revealing & shocking experiment that leaves one in awe of what Franco achieved with the design. Everything in parts & played as a whole is quite an extraordinary feat that instantaneously makes one think of the design & countless hours of research & field rehearsal. When I first did this experiment above I thought my tweeter was broken!! My thoughts are the subtlety is in the timing.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Strad was the last.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM

The Amati Anniversario came after the Stead on which it is based and I am sure it was designed by Franco. It might have been released after Franco left SF.