AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Default ARC Ref 160S

I received my new amplifier yesterday. It replaces a vt80se. My initial impressions are better bass and a more immersive soundstage. I am using a Ref 6 and SashaDaw speakers. I like the look and the meters are a nice touch. No more worries about adjusting bias. It sounds good out of the box and should only improve with time.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 AM

Congrats! I'm sure it will be great. If anyone compares this against a gs150, I would like to hear about it. I really doubt it would be worth it for me to go from the gs150 to the ref160s, but I'm curious.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Dan: Congrats! Can't wait to hear your system!!

Steve
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM

We should organize a docdan listening session
Old 09-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
We should organize a docdan listening session
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Ok with me. My wife has choir practice on Monday and Tuesday nights. She also has her book club the last Wednesday of the month.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:37 PM

Congrats!! I wish I could hear one compared to my GS150
Old 10-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Took delivery of 160S on Friday. Paired w/ LS28 in second system. Too soon for serious evaluation of performance, but I am disappointed the fan is so intrusive even at low setting at 10 feet. Not sure yet what I think about the meters. Awaiting delivery of CD6SE to complete stack. Listening to old CD player in meantime. Will post pictures and more impressions.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
Took delivery of 160S on Friday. Paired w/ LS28 in second system. Too soon for serious evaluation of performance, but I am disappointed the fan is so intrusive even at low setting at 10 feet. Not sure yet what I think about the meters. Awaiting delivery of CD6SE to complete stack. Listening to old CD player in meantime. Will post pictures and more impressions.

Unfortunately I think the fan bit is theme with ARC. I’ve had the conversation with the factory on my 250s. They claim they cannot hear them from their listening position. But I can from mine. They must have a lot of background noise in there test room. There are more premium /quieter fans that move the same volume of air on the market. Wish they’d spend $10 more an amp to address this.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneice View Post
Unfortunately I think the fan bit is theme with ARC. I’ve had the conversation with the factory on my 250s. They claim they cannot hear them from their listening position. But I can from mine. They must have a lot of background noise in there test room. There are more premium /quieter fans that move the same volume of air on the market. Wish they’d spend $10 more an amp to address this.
Exactly. I just had a conversation with Dave Gordon about this, and his only suggestion was that i make lots of room above the amp and either remove the cover or put fans on low, and/or put fans in my cabinet instead. They don't think you can hear the fans but yes, you can.