Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . . Radu Lupu - Pianist Extraordinaire

Schumann & Grieg Piano Concertos

London Symphony Orchestra - Andre Previn, Conductor

A Decca/London LP, Recorded in 1973 at Kingsway Hall, London

A delightful early morning listen. I love "gentle" concertos of any ilk, and especially those featuring a well played piano - and this record presents two perfectly beautiful examples. Any old Decca LP, recorded by Kenneth Wilkinson is expected to have great sonics and this one certainly does. Plus, the London Symphony, led by that great jazz piano player, Andre Previn, excels here, not to mention that piano genius Radu Lupu who, to my mind, was one of the best of the 20th century, is only fantastic on this recording.

NOTE - This long out of print recording is soon to be re-released as a two LP set for only $54.95 (Glad I bought it in the 70's for $3.98.)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM

This morning: Handel - Suites For Keyboard
Keith Jarrett
ECM
I love Jarrett's playing of these pieces, very rhythm and flow beautifully. I'm a great fan of Jarrett's jazz, but he's also turned out to be an excellent classical pianist. Nice recording as well.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 PM

Default Bach, C P E: Hamburg Symphonies

This disc is on heavy rotation...

Bach, C P E: Hamburg Symphonies (6) for Strings, Wq. 182 (H567-662)
The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock

Lively baroque music expertly played by Pinnock and his crack period orchestra.

As I had mentioned before, Gramophone recommended this disc as part of its May 2014 CPE Bach cover story. They say "Pinnock and his band live dangerously in the 18th century's weirdest, most outre symphonies. Thrilling stuff." Yes, good stuff. The recording is excellent.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 PM

Still exploring classical but I just listened to this and rather enjoyed it
Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
Still exploring classical but I just listened to this and rather enjoyed it
A great place to explore--those performances are hard to beat!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM

This guy can play Stokowski's transcriptions as well as old Maestro Stokowski himself - or at least almost as well - but since most of you don't think Stokowski's transcriptions, and most assuredly, not this conductor, are worthy of purist classical thought and attention, you will probably never know just how much fun they are to listen to . . . .

But, as most of you already know, I am a common as dirt, totally unrefined, red-neck, good ole southern boy, who likes almost all things classical from Readers Digest level on up, so listen to it, I will. (And Love It, I also will !)

And, I am listening to . . . THE STOKOWSKI SOUND - Transcriptions for Orchestra by Leopold Stokowski

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - Erich Kunzel, Conductor

A Telarc CD, recorded in 1990

And, the very best thing about this CD is the fact that you can currently buy it on Amazon for 1˘ U.S. - That is one penny, one single cent - and it is worth every single one of them.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-15-2015, 09:22 AM

AND, Worthy of note . . . We have just passed 14,000 posts in this thread.

Many thanks to all of you who have made it so informative and so much fun!

Last edited by AudioNut; 01-15-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:51 AM

This was post # 7 in this thread.

I just pulled it out and I'm playing it again . . . It is really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post

You ain't going to believe it . . . . But. . . . .

I am listening to an extraordinary classical composition by:

ELVIS COSTELLO

Elvis Costello . . . Il Sogno A Ballet after Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Performed by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas on Deutsche Grammophon

This was Costello's first composition for Orchestra and "stands up well in comparison with George Gershwin's concert music".

I kid you not, this is great stuff.

Julian

Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
AND, Worthy of note . . . We have just passed 14,000 posts in this thread. Many thanks to all of you who have made it so informative and so much fun!
very cool.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM

This morning:
Mendelssohn & Beethoven Violin Concertos
Joshua Bell violin
Camerata Salzburg, Sir Roger Norrington

I haven't listened to this in a few years and I guess I've been spoiled by some of the great recordings I've been listening to lately. The overall tone of this is ok, but dynamics seem compressed. And while Bell's playing is technically fine, this recording just doesn't really draw me in. This is the only version I have of this beautiful Mendelssohn concerto, I need to explore other recordings.