AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-19-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
Whenever existing cables are moved, or new cables are put into place in a system there is a period of time where the cables need to “settle in”. The sound can change based on the alteration of the signal and power flow as it pertains to the structure of the internal cable components. This can also be true for other electronics or components that are connected together in the system.

“Break-in” is more related to the optimization of the individual components or circuit parts that comprise the entirety of the finished product. Depending on the type of parts implemented this can yield a significant change as the process takes place. Often there is a larger percieved or audible change in the first 50-100 hours with more subtle differences beyond. The type of internal parts like capacitors, metalurgy or in the case of speakers the driver design and materials can all influence the time necessary for optimization.
Thank you.

I do believe in break in. The settling part was kind of new to me.

Whenever i have a new component in my system, the first thing
I do is play a couple of songs that are familiar to me for a couple
Days. One of them is alison krauss “gravity”, not only do i love
This song, but her voice err on the sibilant side if i have an unba-
Lanced system — bright to be exact. When i bought a new set of
Speaker wires and interconnect i could definitely tell that my new
Ancilliaries are “breaking in” due to to the gradual softening of the
“Zzzzzzzz”, mind you i dont listen to the bass, soundstage width or
Depth or other changes that may occur. I just concentrate on the
Voices lower mids.

People might think that we just “get used to or adapt” to the new
Sound, but in my humble opinion changes sometimes depends
On your system’s tranparency, and sometimes this “tranparency”
Is directly proportional to equipment cost. The higher the price—
The more revealing it becomes.

People tend to malign our own “perception and hearing” based
On their system — this is where the problem lies, “their system”.
Im not here to argue or insult anybody’s equipment implying
“ you dont hear it because your system is cheap”, this is my
Humble opinion based on climbing a ladder that i see has no
End.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
There is no break in. The electronic parts are manufactured with tolerances in factories which are guaranteed not to drift or we could never get to the Moon or Mars... Your doctor would not be able to get an accurate diagnosis because the MRI or CAT machine in the hospital was using the "wrong" power cord... OK?

In audio, the "ears" and the "mood" are the break in process. It goes something like this.... We run home with that new component. Expectations are very high from a multi-thousand dollar power isolator... We often will grab the most exciting CD or worse yet, a new and unheard CD for the celebration!

When reality does not meet expectations, the shock to the system makes everything sound like dog excrement...

Take a deep breath, let it "settle", let it "burn in" but in reality, let your mood and blood pressure return to normal.

There is no break in audio. Can't be. The components are no different than the ones in your household appliances or any other electronic device...

Ever wonder why the iPhone never needs a break in? It just works from the box doesn't it? Imagine those spicy texts going to the wrong recipient if the iPhone was not broken in yet?

Having said that and laughed a bit, we can on a serious note say the following... Speakers do benefit from a break in. The mechanical parts of the driver or the "suspension" needs to work itself in and loosen up. The speaker becomes more relaxed and coherent. Smoother sound. It should not take long.

As far as the Transparent Power Isolator. The only "possible" component that can potentially change its value ever so slightly are the fancy filtering capacitors they put in those devices. The "forming" of the capacitors as it is called typically applies to the bigger capacitors of the less usual construction compared to the mass produced capacitors used in everything, including Elon Musk SpaceX rockets...

The Transparent piece you have is not an "active" device. Not a power regenerator. It is mostly a "parallel device" that filters and isolates the outlets. So there is really nothing to break in or affect the sound so it sounds like "grating", "harsh", "screeching" or any other adjective like that.

There are many variables... a system that has not reached its potential from synergy of various of components and/or speakers that are not agreeing with your ears and/or music recording that you are not very familiar with and God knows there are a lot of bad recordings.

What were your troubles with the system when you went to the audio store for the power isolator?
Thank you

I live in a mountainous area where lightning and thunder is
A pain in my arse. In fact, my house got hit by lightning twice
Last year, luckily i was there to unplugged everything before
It happened.

So my primary goal for the conditioner is more on its “protection”
Benefits rather than what it will bring sonically.

I do believe you are wrong when it comes to “break in”, im not
Here to argue and i did answer my opinion to —audio 1’s— post.
That opinion was based on my personal journey.

Now for the power isolator..... it’s already boxed and ready
To go back to the dealer...this thing is not for me sonically.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
Thank you

It happened.

Sure, good luck with the next one. Keep climbing that ladder.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermerio View Post
Thank you

It happened.

Do you have whole house surge protection? If so (e.g., recommended by Shunyata and others), you can plug your amp straight into the wall for better sound with less worry. Probably not practical if you live in an apartment, but if you own your own home, pretty inexpensive first line of defense protection.

Last edited by GSOphile; 12-19-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:02 PM

Should I even mention I had over $30k of gear destroyed with the surge protection in place during a nasty lightning storm? Yeah, that happens...

Best protect yourself with real "professional" products at the panel.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:08 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I have 4 layers of surge protection in each one of my homes. My Florida home literally took a direct lightning strike on the roof peak.

It blew the Tiles right off the roof; Firemen responded, and checked all the walls with thermal scanners for any signs of hidden fire. Luckily no fire, and even more amazing not a single piece of audio gear was harmed.

Total damage was a single wall dimmer, and a PlayStation that’s all.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-19-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
Do you have whole house surge protection? If so (e.g., recommended by Shunyata and others), you can plug your amp straight into the wall for better sound without the worry. Probably not practical if you live in an apartment, but if you own your own home, pretty inexpensive first line of defense protection.
How do you protect your whole house from surge?

My experience was when i got hit directly by lightning,
( i though it was an earthquake ) a couple of my electric
Fan got destroyed, some light bulb exploded. Lots of my
Appliances survived —thank you lightning rod— but i just
Cannot take chances when it comes to my sound system.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I have 4 layers of surge protection in each one of my homes. My Florida home literally took a direct lightning strike on the roof peak.

It blew the Tiles right off the roof; Firemen responded, and checked all the walls with thermal scanners for any signs of hidden fire. Luckily no fire, and even more amazing not a single piece of audio gear was harmed.

My friend lost a very nice house... Lightning strike somehow set the attic on fire and a gas line valve was also damaged. The baby sitter heard a noise upstairs and said she saw flames shooting out of the wall. Grabbed the baby and the dog and ran out. The fire department came but the house burned down to the ground faster than a matchbox. The family lost all personal belongings, various collectible items, etc but fortunately no one was hurt! It took them over 16 months to rebuild the house from the foundation up.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Should I even mention I had over $30k of gear destroyed with the surge protection in place during a nasty lightning storm? Yeah, that happens...

Best protect yourself with real "professional" products at the panel.
Sorry to hear that. I mean you have surge protection? Isnt that its
Purpose?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

4 layers of protection? —wow—-, i bet that cost more than my
Sound system