AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Analog Pressings

Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Almost all (at least 95%) of my many thousands of LPs were purchased used in the "Long Play Great Depression" of 1995 to 2010... Dirt cheap perfect condition LPs..
Now I would buy, if buying... CDs. Since CDs are now the useless dirt cheap castoff of the current age of music.
Soon enough, (but most likely after I am dead and gone,) CDs also will suddenly become marvelous wonders again. Most likely when the Major Music controllers think they have a total LOCK on music playing and start the big squeeze on folks wallets to play music, any music at all.
At that point folks who still have media and not just vapor, (even vapor they think they own but alas, vanished like... well vapor....) will rejoice and thank their lucky stars.
Just my bet on the future.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
In the end, I only care how it sounds. Just ordered the 2018 remastered 'White Album' to compare to the 2 originals in my library (one of which is my wife's). Should be an interesting comparison.
Was wondering if you ever did this and what was the outcome?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Retired

As sad as it is, have to admit that I have not. We have been traveling so much (as I type next to the pool in Naples, FL) that I've only had one or two 'serious' listening sessions in the intervening time. Likely will not be until October before I'm able to do so again. Been a great year for travel....... but not so much for listening (other than casually).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-08-2019, 04:35 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Why should I invest $260 for a set of vinyl records that are mastered from digital. From the original master tapes, to 24/192 digital files, then back to vinyl. A process I've never agreed with.

It seems certain to me this project was designed for CD or SACD. It makes more sense to me to buy the CD set for $75 and then record them to analog tape and save a small fortune in the process. But then, why would I even do that?

https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/Jo...yl-8LP-Box-Set)
Just buy records without barcodes.

Or use a different format.

Playing records is not for everyone.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:48 PM

I bought the new Abby Roads mastered Police album.

Mastered at 192k.

36 dollars US is “All analog” money. An orginal copy probably beats it.

Don’t bother.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Well are not many of the better studios doing the re-creations from the original master tapes direct to vinyl? I know I have read that too.

Only other option is own a mega to end reel 2 reel and there are a very limited number of masters that are copies of the master tapes. I have heard that, and like on a $20k reel deck and the masters were over $1000+ for one album.

So all this excess... well for some still there are qualities regardless of the total signal to noise ratios, frequency total ranges etc that vinyl will do better, it is just a warmer, smoother, tube like less ear fatiguing sound on all the right gear with a great record done right.

But with in reason $ Vs $ digital is a great value and a fantastic quality. so you will get no ill will from me. I own them all ... name the format.. And a lot of times it comes down to how good was the very 1st studio or live set of tracks that were laid down?

It is hard to make something after 30-50 years for example from the masters sound better, I mean I guess if you COLOR it modify it etc.

Now you can clean up some noise, make sure cross channel separation, loudness, compression etc. Every format can apply all of this, timbre and more.

Anyway would like to know what you end up with, and if someone does get both formats it would be nice to read a review.

Last edited by djwhog; 08-08-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:25 PM

From another thread, hope this will help and we can all help.

https://vinylreviews.com/

New Vinyl Quality Review Website
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM

It's not how its recorded, but how its played back.

Open your mind. Playback is another endeavor entirely.

Vinyl playback vs. CD is similar to two different amplifiers, or a different DAC, or set of speakers. Its the same information, but something changes in the playback chain, and that makes all the difference.

Dont fight it. Just enjoy what you do.