AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
That has been the going rate these days. I also sold one, standard Discovery wiring for around that price.
Really good to know. I have the Valhalla wiring but am researching the best approach-- sell my entire classic 3 and buy a new Signature or just sell the JMW tonearm and buy the 3D tonearm with new junction box.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:54 AM

Classic Signature or Prime Signature?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsey01 View Post
Classic Signature or Prime Signature?
I was thinking classic signature-- thoughts?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM

I'm not really sure if you would gain anything aside from the 3D arm on the Classic Signature. The signature is basically the Classic 3. Aside from the new motor location, they are pretty much the same. It's probably about a wash if you were to trade in or sell your Classic 3 to get the SE compared to just buying the arm and junction box. I just received a Prime (Standard) to replace my Classic and have not had a chance to get it setup to compare the two yet but my thinking is the Prime and Avenger lines are the future of VPI so if I was going to upgrade, that would be the path I would take.

You might want to check with Harry Weisfeld through his HW's Workshop contact email and see if he has any spare 3D arms floating around, I'm willing to bet he does as well as the junction box you want. Might save you some change.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:58 PM

Why not consider trying a heavier counter weight. The standard one is 140 grams, they have 160, 180, and 200 grams available. This would better isolate the tonearm. You could also consider a Soundsmith Counter Intuitive which is an additional "C" shaped counterweight that allows for more accurate Tracking Force and Azimuth Settings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Really good input Dolsey01 and Don. I put a call into VPI and they suggested pretty much the same-- the Prime has an external motor to reduce rumble (which I don't hear on my C3) but my C3 has a slightly warmer sound (which I'm sure I'd prefer). VPI did say the 3D arm is a significant improvement and to stay with the 10-inch arm to keep from having to get a new tonearm base and other mods. We also discussed upgrading the pulley to the HRX pulley which will help with speed control as long as it is used with an external speed controller (SDS/Phoenix/etc).

Leaning toward the arm upgrade as I love my current C3 and don't want the hassle of selling just to get the latest model (but am still researching). Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Ok so I bought the counterintuitive and thfosgometer-- will let you know!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaudio68 View Post
Ok so I bought the counterintuitive and thfosgometer-- will let you know!
I'm hoping I could get some technical advice. I bought the counterintuitive and a fozgometer. The counterintuitive was easy to set up but I can't seem to be able to get a read off of the fozgometer other than the green/red light (no reading off the meter itself). I originally tried hooking up directly to the outputs of my VPI c3 but am wondering if the output of my cadenza blue is too low. The directions say if the cartridge output is too low then the fozgometer can be hooked to the tape monitor of my pre. I have a c500p pre and am not sure which one to hook up to (processor listen to/from record to/from). Any input or ideas are appreciated. Right now I just use the mono track with left/center/right but doubt this method is as accurate. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:04 PM

Have you seen/watched this?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE7Brwfwo0U[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaudio68 View Post
I'm hoping I could get some technical advice. I bought the counterintuitive and a fozgometer. The counterintuitive was easy to set up but I can't seem to be able to get a read off of the fozgometer other than the green/red light (no reading off the meter itself). I originally tried hooking up directly to the outputs of my VPI c3 but am wondering if the output of my cadenza blue is too low. The directions say if the cartridge output is too low then the fozgometer can be hooked to the tape monitor of my pre. I have a c500p pre and am not sure which one to hook up to (processor listen to/from record to/from). Any input or ideas are appreciated. Right now I just use the mono track with left/center/right but doubt this method is as accurate. Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:45 PM

Don,

This is very helpful but I'm not getting any meter readings-- will try calling the mfr tomorrow and report back.