AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-28-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
It's been too long since I have run the 5Y3 in the LP-2 to remember. I can try it again. I may try a few different tubes there as I have changed DACs and speakers since implementing the 274B. I've focused more on the right tubes for the amp with the recent system changes.

But, since you have one, give it a try!

I'm going to try it. I have a Dared preamp, not an Inspire. And I've been happy with an RCA 5Y3 in the preamp. I am running the Pope 6v6's in the amp, and really like the 5UR4 rectifier better than the 274B. But I haven't tried the 274B in the pre. Seems worth a shot.
2 Channel - Inspire Amp; Dared Pre; Carver "The Receiver" for tuner and switching; Thorens 125 turnable; Angle Audio PS internal battery; Shure SME 3009 tonearm; Bang & Olufsen MC20CL cartridge; Roku; Sony Bravia TV; Polk Audio SDA-2
Theater - Onkyo AVR, Orb Speakers, MAC music server, Monarchy Audio NM24 DAC [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSem View Post
I'm going to try it. I have a Dared preamp, not an Inspire. And I've been happy with an RCA 5Y3 in the preamp. I am running the Pope 6v6's in the amp, and really like the 5UR4 rectifier better than the 274B. But I haven't tried the 274B in the pre. Seems worth a shot.
I think, as long as tubes are compatible, they are all worth a listen! (Did you mean 5U4G?)

I see you have a Cambridge Audio unit. Looks like maybe the multichannel receiver or pre/pro (where I have an Onkyo). I have the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - network streamer and DAC. I upgraded to that from their Stream Magic 6. I like it a lot!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Has anyone tried these? Siemens 6L6WGB (made by JAN-Philips) Audio Tubes thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-Tube-Types/Siemens-6L6WGB-made-by-JAN-Philips Thanks!
Brent Jesse writes of the 6L6WGB:
5881 / 6L6WGB: This type originally was known as the 6L6WGB, and was designed for the US military. Nearly all were made by Tung Sol. The tube is a short flat topped tube with a brown base, and a large grey plate structure inside. These often had large top getter patches, but there are some with side getters, some have both top and side getter flashing. The design proved so popular that an industrial version was created and labeled the 5881. Both tubes are the same. These are slightly more powerful than the 6L6 standard types, having 360 volts at 23 watts on the plate and 270 volts at 3 watts on the screen. They can replace any 6L6 type except for the GC, 7581, or KT66. They MAY POSSIBLY be used as a sub for these tubes, but ONLY if your amp does not exceed the ratings of the 5881! Most amps calling for a 6L6GC type will exceed these ratings and the 5881 may overheat or arc over, so check so check first before subbing these! This is a fine tube used in many high fidelity amps, and packs a wonderful sound into a small package. Found also in RCA, GE, Sylvania and other brands, but nearly all were made by Tung Sol.

I inquired with Dennis a while back to verify compatibility. Never heard back and didn't want to risk it knowing as little about this as I do.

5881 / 6L6WGB: This type originally was known as the 6L6WGB, and was designed for the US military. Nearly all were made by Tung Sol. The tube is a RCA, GE, Sylvania and other brands, but nearly all were made by Tung Sol
Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Here's the link:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/cary-...tml#post742920

I wonder if there's any need to drain the big Caps (not the small ones being replaced) before performing small Caps replacement surgery to avoid some high-tension shocks?
Just do the caps after the amp has been off a few hours. It isn't rocket science
and you are really but understandably, overthinking it.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 AM

BearCity,

Thanks for the feedback. Shame, because this 5881-equivalent may have been the best 6L6 type for the Inspire, given their description. But, as you said, it is risky if our amps exceed the limit ratings the 5881 can handle. Only Dennis could answer that.

Which 6L6 type do you all consider the best for the Inspire combo?

FloridaBoy,

Right. Being a newbie in these matters, I don't want to run any risks or make a mess in my much appreciated Inspire unit.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 01-29-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Cohiba,

Sorry Post # 1352

Twanny,

How do we go about draining those Caps? I know we need to ground its contents somehow, but the details I miss: put a piece of wire between the Caps' outlets and a sure ground? What would that sure ground be? The chassis?
Check out this video on amp safety. It's helpful as an overall, brief, lesson on how to stay alive working on tube amps. @ 2:50 is the bit on caps. YouTube is your friend!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkEc58-vWc4[/ame]

Last edited by x3workshop; 01-29-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Ok, FB or anyone who has the expertise, help me identify which caps are which in my LP-2 and KT-150. My guess in the KT-150 is that the auricap xo's are the coupling caps. Without opening them up, I can't tell the make or specs of the red caps.

Does the LP-2 have coupling caps as well or are the functions different?

If the auricaps are the coupling caps, Dennis may have used high enough quality in that spot.

The Auricaps are the couplers. A lot of folks like them. I have messed with many different caps and there is no *best* one but there will be one that sounds the best in your rig. The difference may not be subtle.

Do you have Omega speakers? If so Louis, likes the Jupiter copper foils caps. They are about $70 for a pair of .022uf's.

The two red ones are the couplers. Can you read the value?

I have not yet done anything with my LP27a but will soon.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Twanny,

Thanks for the link. It will be useful.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
The Auricaps are the couplers. A lot of folks like them. I have messed with many different caps and there is no *best* one but there will be one that sounds the best in your rig. The difference may not be subtle.

Do you have Omega speakers? If so Louis, likes the Jupiter copper foils caps. They are about $70 for a pair of .022uf's.

The two red ones are the couplers. Can you read the value?

I have not yet done anything with my LP27a but will soon.
I do have Omegas. Steve Deckert also seems partial to Jupiters in his amps.

A project for later maybe. Working on integrating new midwoofers as part of my Omega speaker system (w w w.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134489.msg1497596#msg1497596).

As far as the preamp and red caps, I can't get at the values unless I open up the chassis to be able to see.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Read somewhere it is better to upgrade the Preamp Caps, as these are closer to the source ... Unfortunately, those have much higher values in our case .. But, maybe the cost difference is worth it if one is interested in re-Capping to improve sound?