AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Ken...thanks very much for getting back to me. I am sure they sound amazing. Very limited distribution though so hard to get to hear them. Thanks again Ken. And back to our regular programming...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Ken...you have a killer system. The JL-1s are killer amps. I have never heard them but would love to. Do they put off a lot of heat? Have you driven tougher loads than your Amatis with them? If you are familiar with other tube amps, is the CAT house sounds similar to any of the other major tube brands? I am just trying to get a better handle on them.

I guess I did not answer you about the Cat house sound vs other tube amps. Well this is sort of strange, but the Cat amps do not sound like tube amps. They sound like great solid state amps in the bass with tube midrange and silk on top. Incredible dynamics both micro and macro. Some times you think they have an expander circuit. They have pop on drums like the real thing. I play drums so I found that startling when I first bought them. Also I have played them at ear splitting levels and never clipped them. These are the only tube amps I have ever heard that do not sound tubey. The bass is in a class few amps achieve, including solid state amps. I use an older set of KT 90's with Telefunkin driver tubes. They are also dead quiet. With the preamp muted, you have to place your ear right on the tweeter to tell the amps are on. Mechanically they are quiet as well. But they will heat a room.

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 05-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
Recently at the house of a friend and fellow audiophile, I was asking him which amp he preferred to power his Focal La Scala’s. He was using a McIntosh MA7000 but there was a large SS Conrad Johnson amp ( cant remember which one-output was 500w into 4ohm.) sitting in a corner, silent and without a pre amp.
He said when the CJ’s were connected, the sound came from all directions, completely enveloping him into the music. This was something the MA7000 was unable to do.
Got me wondering to what others use to power their speakers and since I now have the Cremona M, my interest lay in fellow SF owners.
Was it the cj premier350? Great ss amp

I drive mine strads with cj premier 8a's with Teflon cap upgrade

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Was it the cj premier350? Great ss amp

I drive mine strads with cj premier 8a's with Teflon cap upgrade

I love that painting of Lennon! Is that a poster, original, what medium?? I have never seen it before.

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,
Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
bodiezaffa.......I have powered my Guarneri Memento speakers with a single MC275, a pair of MC275's in mono, a MC352, a pair of MC501's, and presently with a MC452. All sounded great. I love the MC452 on them.
Hi Dan.
I read your original post on the MC452 when you had only 120hrs on them, Seems the love affair is going strong.

Do they offer the "chest thump" usually found in ss amps with that kind of power? Compared to the Jeff Rowlands?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkirk View Post
I love that painting of Lennon! Is that a poster, original, what medium?? I have never seen it before.

Ken
great shots by the way
Old 05-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Great shots turntable...

I'd love to see one of the whole room if you have one handy.

Stephen
Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkirk View Post

Ken
It is an original painting on canvas with 3d textures like string for Lennon's hair. It was painted by my sister in law in her final year high school art project. I rescued it before she threw it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Great shots turntable...

I'd love to see one of the whole room if you have one handy.

Stephen
I'll see if I can post a recent one Stephen

Last edited by turntable; 05-20-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM
What?

great pics turntable, thx for posting them
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
Hi Dan.
I read your original post on the MC452 when you had only 120hrs on them, Seems the love affair is going strong.

Do they offer the "chest thump" usually found in ss amps with that kind of power? Compared to the Jeff Rowlands?
bodiezaffa.......No doubt about chest thump power with the MC452. This amp will easily bench test at over 600 watts, I'm sure of it. Fantastic control of the bottom, all the midrange resolution you can ask for, and a sweet air top end. The MC452 is a fantastic power amplifier.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A