AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-25-2023, 11:05 PM

Default BDP-3 connection options to network

Hey,

We moved into our new house last December and since then I have been thinking about how to control my BDP-3. In my old house, I used a 50 feet LAN cable connected to my router, but in this new house, the router is upstairs while my system is downstairs.

I wasn't sure about the Bryston Wi-Fi dongle for speed and reliability so I decided to used a WiFi extender with LAN ports. I am in the Videotron ecosystem up here so I used their WiFi pods to match the router speed. I ran a CAT6A 50 feet cable to my BDP-3. It works just perfect, just as if the cable was directly plugged into the router. I haven't tried to transfer music to the internal SSD but I assume it will be just as fast as before. I can now control the BDP-3 with Rigelian just as I used to.

So if you are in a situation like me, this is a very good solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6175.jpg (85.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6174.jpg (92.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Parabellum; 04-25-2023 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:06 AM

I’m glad you found a good solution. About 4 years ago , the internet and other network demands in my house increased both in the need for more bandwidth and also to eliminate signal dropout areas. I had a small number of Ethernet jacks installed when I built the house 12 years with Cat-6 running to where I have my cable modem and router but they were not in optimum locations, including to a good size bedroom I was “inheriting” as a dedicated office and music room when my daughter decided she was moving to NYC as she was completing grad school.

I figured out I needed some additional Ethernet outlets both for a mesh system access point to improve my wifi throughout the house and also for hardwiring a switch (EtherRegen) in my (then-) new music room. I asked the IT folks who work for my firm for a recommendation to someone who could do the wiring. My house is not an easy one to run wire. It is a large one-story (5500 s.f. under air) with ceilings at 12’ to 14’) except for a small second story area over my garage which is where my modem and router live. I called the recommended network wiring contractor who told me they did not do residential but gave me the name of a smaller “wiring guy” to whom they referred residential and too small for them commercial clients. I gave him a call. This is going back 4 years now— for 3 separate runs of Cat-6, the longest being about 75 feet horizontal plus the vertical runs to get to the attic space it cost me a total of $350 for a very professionally done job including brining in his own small vacuum to clean up the last bit of dust from cutting drywall to install the jacks and plates. The resulting wifi mesh system (I’m using two ASUS routers) has my house almost vibrating with WiFi signal to every corner and hardwiring the EtherRegen has done great things for Roon and other audio-video in my office/music room. A lot of AA’ers can do network wiring themselves but for those who can’t, or have difficult house configurations to run the wiring through, it can be really pretty inexpensive to upgrade your home network, both WiFi and Ethernet resulting in substantial improvement.

One caveat— if I was doing the same today I would have strongly considered doing the run from my router to the EtherRegen in fiber. Every house situation is different. I’m glad you (OP) likewise found an effective, inexpensive solution.

-Robert
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:26 AM

Good post guys!
And...

Serge, congratulations on the new digs.

John