AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 12-14-2021, 06:43 PM
Retired

Default QHW The Vinyl

Anyone using the QHW The Vinyl phono-preamp? If so, what do you think?
Gets great reviews from Michael Fremer and others. Am phono-preamp shopping as my new Pass Labs INT-25 is very basic with no phono or DAC options available (the way I prefer them).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-15-2021, 05:54 PM

Interesting review- also consider the iPhono 3.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iphono3-bl/

I owned an earlier version and was very happy with its performance (used a Koetsu Black & an Argoi), only sold as I purchased a McIntosh C2300, and the Mcs MC Phono stage was superior IMHO.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:07 PM

Interesting Glenn. I like the idea that you can use 2 'tables at the same time. That's one of the things I really like about McIntosh's phono preamps.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 12-15-2021, 07:20 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Interesting review- also consider the iPhono 3.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iphono3-bl/

I owned an earlier version and was very happy with its performance (used a Koetsu Black & an Argoi), only sold as I purchased a McIntosh C2300, and the Mcs MC Phono stage was superior IMHO.
Yes, I've looked closely at the iFi Phono3, Phenomena II+, Ray Samuels XR-2 and Lehmann Black Cube SE, among others. The Phono3 has inputs for both MM & MC, which I like, having two TTs, but, don't believe they are switched or separate circuits, so only one can be connected at a time. The other three only have single inputs.

Sooooooo, I've ordered the QHW. Total cost is just short of $750, delivered. Should have before long so can get fully broken-in before my INT-25 arrives. In addition, I did ask Michael Fremer and his opinion was the QHW was a 'no brainer'. Mikie likes it.

I'll report back once it arrives.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Yes, I've looked closely at the iFi Phono3, Phenomena II+, Ray Samuels XR-2 and Lehmann Black Cube SE, among others. The Phono3 has inputs for both MM & MC, which I like, having two TTs, but, don't believe they are switched or separate circuits, so only one can be connected at a time. The other three only have single inputs.

Sooooooo, I've ordered the QHW. Total cost is just short of $750, delivered. Should have before long so can get fully broken-in before my INT-25 arrives. In addition, I did ask Michael Fremer and his opinion was the QHW was a 'no brainer'. Mikie likes it.

I'll report back once it arrives.
This good to hear Glenn. Please keep us posted as your evaluation proceeds.

Edit: I read Mikey's Stereophile mini review he did (September '21 issue) just so The Vinyl could be included in recommended components. He was effusive in his praise for this very affordable, but quite flexible phono preamp. Good call on this one Glenn.

Edit 2: What are you going to do for a DAC? Any ideas?
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 12-16-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:55 PM
Retired

DHL let me know that the QHW arrives on Monday, the 27th.

Fred - I've never owned a DAC (other than the ones inside my CDPs) or done any streaming. I'm 90%+ analog (vinyl & FM radio). My Oppo mostly just sits there wanting to be played. I bought an Intel NUC with a 1TB SSD and have never done more than take it out of the box and put it back. I did rip all my CDs (~900) to FLAC files the winter of '19/20. And, some year, when life becomes so boring that I want to kill myself, I might try all that "digital stuff". But, as long as there are good FM stations, good cartridges and good books left to read...............

Seriously, I really should read the manual for the Oppo. I think it could do about anything one would need to get started in digital with the NUC & Samsung tablet & Roon. Craig (crwilli) has been very generous with his time & info on getting started. And, I've been telling myself for 2yr+......... some day. But for now I'm spoiled with what I've got. Especially as the QHW allows me to connect both of my TTs at the same time, essentially giving me 4 inputs on the INT-25 rather than 3.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:05 PM

^^ I completely get your point of view on this. For my part I mostly listen to vinyl and my 2 tape decks. A few years ago when I first got the MA8000 I thought it would be a good idea to utilize its onboard DAC which was billed as being quite good. To that end I had a custom HP all in one touch PC built to my specs. It has a 2TB internal drive and I added a 4 TB external one. All run through JRiver MC20 and subsequently MC28.

One of the assistants at my office (a younger guy who received a cease and desist letter from the FBI when Napster was all the rage) would bring me a flash drive loaded with music files. Over the course of a couple of months I added thousands of files from across the music spectrum.

Sometimes on Sunday morning I'll turn the PC on and listen to some classical music or the YoYo Ma Cello Suites as basically background music. It's just something about the digital side of my system that feels like a part is missing. It's not not quite as engaging and doesn't draw me in to want to listen more the way the analog side of the system does.

I never quite understood what was so alluring to take an analog waveform then convert it to digital bits and bites and then convert it back to an analog waveform so I could listen to it through my speakes. Why not just leave it alone in the first place.

Keep us updated on The Vinyl once you have it up and running.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:24 PM
Retired

Preamp made it to Philadelphia, but still won't get here (50mi distant) until Monday the 27th. Guess that last 50mi is the most difficult.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Preamp made it to Philadelphia, but still won't get here (50mi distant) until Monday the 27th. Guess that last 50mi is the most difficult.
Is today the day? Hopefully you won't get delayed again the way FedEx is famous for these days.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Retired

No delay. DHL has always stated today and it arrive an hour ago. I've unpacked and will let it temp-equilibrate over night and start listening tomorrow a.m.