AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Ok, maybe I misread. Jeff was referring to LP70 vs LP140 monoblocks. I thought that the LP275 was the same design as these, more like two LP140s combined. That's more or less what I gather from the CJ website. I don't know enough about the LP275 to say if I was over extrapolating from the LP70 vs LP140 comparison. Here is the thread, with excerpts.

C-J LP140Ms To be or not to be? That is the question - AudioAficionado.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Well, I've been considering a major upgrade to my system....my local store has a pair of Conrad-Johnson LP140M monoblocks and I've been considering picking them up. The price is excellent on them and I've heard great things about them. If I sold my C-J LP70S and one of my C-J preamps, I could break even or even be ahead of the game. Whadda ya guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
It's going to sound like what you have, with more power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
You will get a bit wider soundstage due to the monoblock configuration and more weight from more power, but you don't have speakers that go down to 20hz or a large room. Unless you are really cranking it up all the time, (remember Roy Gregory has a BIG room) I doubt there will be all that much difference....Seeing you like CJ, I'd grab a premier 15 and send it in for the teflon caps upgrade. That will offer a much bigger performance gain than going from an LP70 to a pair of LP140's. ...If you talk to Lew and Bill they will tell you that the three amplifiers are all basically the same, other than larger output stages, with more tubes and transformers that are equipped to handle the additional power. The quality of amplification is the same across the range.

Last edited by bgiliberti; 03-18-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thank you for a very helpful response. Jeff (aka Tonepub) has commented that the LP275s sounds just like the LP70s but with more power. At first I read that as it sounds the same but can't play as loud. Now having read your comment, I think that he meant more than that, essentially, what you are saying about them doing things the smaller amps simply can't do. That has been my experience whenever I listen to powerful amps, at all listening volumes. The image is just more palpable and emphatic. Given my budget constraints, it will come down to tradeoffs. The real problem for me is that CJ does not make a SS power amp in the same price range as the Classic 60SE, ie., under -$5K. I could go used, but my experience with used has not been as good as it has been for many others on this board. So that has lead me to look at the Mac 320. I did read up on it, and it has had love it - hate it reviews by the devoted Mac fans. I'll have to give it a listen, along with the LP70s, which I have not heard.
Quote:
Perhaps I have misquoted Jeff, in which case it is my error, not his. (It is unwise of me to rely on my memory this age.) I think he may have meant by "with more power" much and perhaps all of what you mean. But I am not sure. It was in a thread somewhere, perhaps on another forum. I will see if I can find it.
I also remember although he had written it but in the time I had no possibility of judging the relevance of its comments.....

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 PM

I suspect the difference in the LP275-to-smaller-CJ-tube-amp comparison is what the reserve inherent in the power supply of each is capable of delivering at a given listening level. It's not just scale (i.e., the perceived "size" of the presentation) or macrodynamics but the revelation of inner detail that fleshes out image, location, dimensionality, and tonality. If there's more reserve (meaning that the amp doesn't have to work as hard at a given level), there's more "there" there. I also suspect the difference is audible when the comparison is done on "smaller" as well as "larger" speakers.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
I suspect the difference in the LP275-to-smaller-CJ-tube-amp comparison is what the reserve inherent in the power supply of each is capable of delivering at a given listening level. It's not just scale (i.e., the perceived "size" of the presentation) or macrodynamics but the revelation of inner detail that fleshes out image, location, dimensionality, and tonality. If there's more reserve (meaning that the amp doesn't have to work as hard at a given level), there's more "there" there. I also suspect the difference is audible when the comparison is done on "smaller" as well as "larger" speakers.
I imagine the difference would be subtle, audible on only the finest systems. Therefore, for me, I think it is less LP70 vs LP275 than LP70/ClassicSE vs. SS. CJ has made the tube gear very affordable with the Classic. Not so much on SS. Maybe this is for McCormick to do.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM

the difference is far for subtle on the LP series ladder

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
the difference is far for subtle on the LP series ladder
This is not the best news for my wallet. But, one gets what one pays for in this world, this I know.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 PM

see Roy Gregory's excellent article in HI-FI + issue52 with a suggestive title :
'The price of power ..... CJ LP70, LP140M and LP275M power amps'

' there's no denying the step-change in expressive range and musical quality between the 70S and the 140Ms. The monoblocs have capabilities the stereo chassis simply can't approach. In comparaison the mere extension of that performance envelope by the 275s might seem like small beer, but their magic lies in the finer texture they bring to their bigger picture. By extending performance at both ends of the scale they tease so much more from the fabric of a recording.....There's a real magic lurking in the elegantly bulky, ruinously expensive 275s...'

l
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Jeff (aka Tonepub) has commented that the LP275s sounds just like the LP70s but with more power.
Such a comment of its part is incredible, for me it is an insult against people of CJ,to have possessed LP70, LP140M and at present LP275M there is no comparison in term of authority and musicality including to very low level of listening
100% agree Philippe.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks oldjays, and welcome also. I do think it has come come down to either a Prem. 350 or an ET-250s among CJ. At the risk of hijacking my own thread and offending my good CJ buddies, a friend recommended that if I go SS, I might consider a McIntosh 302, which is a little more in my price range than the Prem 350 or ET250S (Mac 302 is new @ $5500, and used for quite a bit less if you can find one.) With my CJ preamp, it could be a pretty sweet setup. I'm really not that familiar with Mac, but I listened to their $6000-range integrated amp a while back, and it has a sound I like, not as sweet as CJ, but much more to my taste than ARC. Any thoughts on on going with a SS Mac Amp anyone?
I think Mac makes good equipment. I believe it also depends on what it is paired with to give one the sound they are searching. In an all Mac system, to me it is too rolled off for my liking and I have heard some Mac equipment that was just too bright. Again, it all depends on what is in the entire chain that will ultimately make the sound. It is a balance and I assume you are like most of us and do not have an "open" checkbook full of money to pick and choose the best of the best.

I would love to hear the LP275's but I have not and I am afraid I would like it a lot and start selling body parts to fund that purchase. I purchased the Premier 350 used and incredibly cheap. I saw it on a'gon and jumped on it. At the time I could not afford it either but it was under $5000 so it was credit card damage to get it. I then sold the LP70S to pay off most of that.

My issue is, I drive a tough load in speaker and the LP70 did a great just but something was missing and that was power. I have Martin Logan CLSiiZ speakers and they can dip a bit below 2 ohms at times. The Premier 350 says OK I can do that. I am sure the LP274 would be great but out of reach at the moment. I would like a GAT also but that is a bit out of reach too. I have an ACT2 Series 2 with NOS tubes so it is no slouch either.

I wish you the best of luck. No matter you get I am sure it will sound great. Remember it is for you not "envy" of others. Get what you can afford and get the best of that and you will be happy.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2019, 02:24 AM

Hello Stephen,

I am using SET 300B monoblocks or an Accuphase A65 amp with the GAT.
I love the A65, but I am interested in the LP70S to get a full CJ sound with the GAT.
I use high eff horn speakers and do not need high power but I need both very sweet and opened treble. (Compressions are the TAD 2001).
How is sounding the LP70S in the treble?
Which tubes are you using in your amp?
Many thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Bgilberti,
The amps with the Telfon caps can sound pretty dark and compressed until they start to burn in as Ron has pointed out.

I haven't heard the Classic or Clsssic SE amps yet, but I have an LP70S and it's a wonderful amp....very fast, transparent, clean and neutral.