AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak
Jerome...I have 3 different avenues of advice:

#1: Stay away from reading AA for the next 2-4 weeks, or if you can't do that, just make sure to not read anySHindo-related threads, or anything that Serge, Alberto, Jayson (adhesiv), and Scott (sibelius) post because there is likely something Shindo-related there .
Aw man, I was hoping not to achieve fanboy status!!

In all honesty I don't even think I'm extracting all that I can from my modest Shindo based system.

I'm running junk cables between the transporter and the Monbrison, using the Transporter DAC, and haven't even taken advantage of the Phono stage which I understand is fabulous. I'd also love to hear some other speakers to see how the Cremonas are fairing.

This doesn't even touch on the room setup issues I have which are much more constrained than most of the others here... inability to pull my speakers out from the wall much less angle them etc.

My wife doesn't understand why the speakers don't work with our HT setup...I've separated the two systems as I don't think having the Shindo gear on as much as the tv is on is good for my electrical bill or the vintage Shindo gear itself. Besides the cable tends to introduce a ground loop into the system even though I have it running it through an isolator.

Long story short, even with all these shortcomings, to these ears and experiences I've still found this current setup to be the most musically involving system I've ever had.

I'm with Howie though, if you can, go for it. Try the new flavor you're looking for and see if it suits you...unlike the Giscours which caters to the top 1% of the market I think you'd be able to find many more interested buyers for the CCQ assuming it doesn't work it. I see your concern with your speakers but I don't think anyone will be able to tell you how it will work out unless they've experienced same exact combo.

I'm excited for you no matter what as I know the feeling of trying something new...i promise not to shower you with Shindo dust in order to swing you in any particular direction

good luck!
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Alright who is stepping up to the plate to buy the Shindo Giscours preamp on audiogon? It's got Jerome's name all over it.

I NEED YOU JEROME AS MUCH AS YOU NEED ME
John,
I would not buy such an expensive item on Agon but thanks anyway !
If I buy a preamp, it will be a smaller one like the Monbrison or the Masseto.

Last edited by Jerome W; 08-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Not crazy - very much understood, it has an allure and cannot be compared with other gear. It's very unique and sonically strikes a chord within many people.

Those who have not heard it like to lump it within the context of other equipment, or what they have heard other tube gear sound like. They assume Shindo will be more or less the same. It's not.

But, like I mentioned earlier, starting with a preamp is really the way to go.

Oh, btw, to enjoy HT sources, your processor would connect through the Shindo AUX input and you raise volume control to 12~ noon(exact position will be determined with your HT setup sound generator profiles.) Currently, you probably press a bypass button, compared to switching to an AUX input and turning the knob to twelve noon, if you used Shindo. Not quite as elegant as to what you are used to, but for many of my customers works seamlessly.

Remote, well, you could always hit 'pause' on the cd player if you needed to 'mute' the system quickly.

Yes, actually, there are quite a bit of excellent reviews - some listed on the tone imports website, for your perusal, when you have time.

Tone Imports Product Reviews

It's not a speaker I typically see paired with tube electronics too often, so I'm just a bit cautious, that's all. Knowing what I know about Shindo there is a large chance the CCQ's will drive the hell out of your speakers and you will love them. All Shindo amps gobs of drive and heft - on the appropriate speaker.. This isn't unique to Shindo amps- all tube gear should be matched well to the speaker. All to often I see guys running 8wpc amps on Harbeth and they wonder why their system is lacking in dynamics!

I definitely know the Shindo won't have more trouble, in that comparison.

I'm sure the AR preamp you own is very good, indeed. I do like their products! Yes, for some, the feature set of the AR will completely negate any possibility of considering a Shindo preamp. Most people, though, never use half of the bells and whistles most components have now a days.

But, respectfully, they are so very different, and can't be compared apples to apples. But, I would like you to hear one at some point - A Shindo pre, that is. For example, the Monbrison preamp has been in production since 1996. The Giscours around 1986!~. The Evolutionary changes aside, there are few companies that can say that about one of their flagship products. It's a highly evolved design - not changed drastically every 12 months like other companies, to maintain market share.

Proof is in the listening.

I love the fact you desire Shindo and want to appreciate some of this designs. 2 x

As they say, 'the shortest answer is doing'.

Perhaps you need to try it and see how it goes - but my advice above still stands regarding the preamp.

Sincerely,

-Matt
Matt,
Thanks a lot for these great points !
I will think about it.
Cheers,
Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Jerome...just buy the best Shindo preamp and be done then add the Shindo amps later.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 08-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan
Jerome...just buy the best Shindo preamp and be done then add the Shindo amps later.

Dave

Dave,
Right now, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Buying a preamp will lead me to amps as a full Shindo system and give up Mc. I love too much my Mc to do that at this time.
It will maybe change in a few years.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275

Dave,
Right now, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Buying a preamp will lead me to amps as a full Shindo system and give up Mc. I love too much my Mc to do that at this time.
It will maybe change in a few years.
Jerome...I understand my friend. Sometimes less is more, don't sacrifice quality over quanity...just saying.

Dave

Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Game over for the Corton Charlemagne Q with my speakers

Hello folks,

My dealer just gor the information from Shindo.
The CCQ gives 17.4 W per channel on a 4 ohm load !
What a surprise ! from 70 W on 8 ohms to 17.4 on 4 ohms !
Electronics is a tough science for sure !
Very little power for my kind of speakers.
Now I understand why I got so many negative opinions on this project.

Never mind,
one day, when I won't have any passion for my system, I will buy the Tannoy Canterburys and a full Shindo set-up !
See you then !
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hello folks,

Never mind,
one day, when I won't have any passion for my system, I will buy the Tannoy Canterburys and a full Shindo set-up !
See you then !
Jerome, this dip of power in 4 ohm is a surprise to me too. Do you know if the Corton Charlemagne 80 or the Lafon GM70 will have similar dip in 4 ohm?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Hello folks,

Never mind,
See you then !
Burmester, Jérôme, Burrrmeseterrrrr...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Hello folks,

Never mind,
See you then !
Jerome, looking forward to that day. You have to experience Shindo!
You only live once!