AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Dac ?

Analog Domain DAC1

A masterpiece from the mind of Angel Despotov.

Photo credit “mono+stereo”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1421.jpg (98.8 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by JemHadar; 12-26-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Analog Domain DAC1

Photo credit “mono+stereo”

Beautiful Jacques!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-27-2018, 05:06 AM

Last edited by decooney; 11-06-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:38 AM

[QUOTE=decooney;946403]Woah. Don't mean to derail this "DAC" thread but good grief...looking at their website, their amps are over the top too. Apollo is 4,000watts/8ohm 8000watts/4ohms. Huge Dual Transformers. Interesting mission statement and comments about "How Much Power", quote:

The Dac is 21,500 Euros. Not in my future for sure.

From a review:

As to high-rez audio, "let's be frank. 99% of all existing software is still RedBook. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's the early generation converters that were the culprits. Before one worries about a few hi-rez recordings, one should get every last bit of data from one's CD-type files.

In my rig the Abbas and Orchid do a fine job with Red Book via Tidal.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
From a review:

As to high-rez audio, "let's be frank. 99% of all existing software is still RedBook. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's the early generation converters that were the culprits. Before one worries about a few hi-rez recordings, one should get every last bit of data from one's CD-type files.

In my rig the Abbas and Orchid do a fine job with Red Book via Tidal.

Since acquiring one of these DACs with the older R2R Ladder design and older generation chip sets encapsulated within an upgraded surrounding design, I feel like I'm having to go back and re-learn and re-listen to everything digital all over again.

"The more I learn, the less I know."

Last edited by decooney; 12-30-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Analog Domain DAC1
Jem666,
Last night did a little research on these guys and their "AD system". A familiar approach appeared as I stumbled across the video below

As soon as my headphones started playing this video an unmistakable AMT sound came out, and it's not from their electronics, it's from their developing Argus speakers Analog Domain brought to the 2018 Munic show. It's a very specific speaker driver/sound I've been playing with myself since the late 70s. It's not easy to integrate an AMT driver with other conventional drivers and amplifier electronics and do it really well. Looks like they are still working on the Argus speakers. It appears AD is using a horn loaded AMT, kinda looks similar to a Beyma AMT unit. IMO, it takes the right amp/tone to make them sound well too with lots of crossover tweaks I've failed at many times with my own custom version of these same type of air motion speakers. Effectively, they sort of copied the original ESS AMT3 speaker concept, adding the AMT pro horn loaded driver. That's where it gets real tricky.

IMHO: I wonder...hahah, if one could reach through the screen into the video, remove that DAC, install a well built R2R Ladder DAC with a WE396A tube and replay that same track, my guess is it could be smoothed out a bit more to sound even more natural, less forward, not so "tipped up" as one of the responders replied. I can see why visitors at Munic reacted too. Generally AMT based speakers can do that with really good electronics behind them, and it's even tricky to play the right song, strings and piano tracks are best to show them off like they did in this particular video by Moiz Audio for Analog Domain. Interesting. My old R2R design sounds wonderful with my own AMTs. Smooth as silk. Thanks for sharing the AD info, it brings back AMT design memories too.

VIDEO:
https://vimeo.com/271331946
Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Dac ?

I’m expecting the Argus speakers to be available for demo at a Belgian Dealer in 2019. I will post my findings when the opportunity presents itself.

I own the AD DAC, M75P and M75D and their performance is as extraordinary as their ability to completely disappear. Crazy money, but the joy they bring is priceless.

Last edited by JemHadar; 12-31-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I’m expecting the Argus speakers to be available for demo at a Belgian Dealer in 2019. I will post my findings when the opportunity presents itself.

I own the AD DAC, M75P and M75D and their performance is as extraordinary as their ability to completely disappear. Crazy money, but the joy they bring is priceless.
Jem666,
It would be kinda cool if you could post a whole new thread over in the Members System Forum about your system and the new Argus speakers after your demo at the Belgian Dealer. Seems like very unique and interesting audio gear certainly deserving of good photos and demo follow-up comments in it's own thread if you think of it. Will look forward to it, if you do, maybe here: https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138
Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 PM

Question:

Curious to hear back from current owners of non-oversampling DACs who still own and use their oversampling DACs?

-More or Less, and why?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Since acquiring one of these DACs with the older R2R Ladder design and older generation chip sets encapsulated within an upgraded surrounding design, I feel like I'm having to go back and re-learn and re-listen to everything digital all over again.

IMHO, you are hearing Red Book the way it was supposed to sound.