AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Hi-rez & MQA are totally different animals. One can either without the other.
Red Book CD can sound excellent and there is a huge selection. I've optimized my rig for it and Tidal has allowed me to listen to more music that 'is new to me'. I don't care to own physical media anymore.

There is nothing wrong with high rez but I'll pass.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
FloridaBoy can share more on his Abbas.

Yes, he also reminds me to have patience. Both tube and caps are settling in.

————

Yes we both tried Tesla tube in Orchid DAC

Yes, we both tried new caps in our Orchid DACs.

Yes, we both swapped in different ICs and Digital COAX.

Changes are not always better or worse but “different” sound.

From here it’s tune to your preferred taste - more or less salt and pepper and spice. Each likes different flavors.
Mr. Cooney, AKA Audio purchase enabler, convinced me to try Analysis Plus Solo Crystal IC's. So, I bought a used pair. They are excellent cables.

Then I bought the Analysis Plus Digital Crystal Cable, Solo Crystal Copper.
I had been using something else for about ten years. The AP cable is simply
way better. Excellent separation of instruments and the bass is well defined.
I got it from an epay seller that offers 30 day returns at a good price. It's not going anywhere. I'm using it with the Orchid and have not tried it on the Abbas yet. I humbly suggest that you try one in your system. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Retired

Unfortunate for their listening SQ, many folks poo-poo cables, believing that "wire is wire". My recent up-grade transformed my speakers. Get the best you can afford. Analysis Plus are excellent, as are WireWorld.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Unfortunate for their listening SQ, many folks poo-poo cables, believing that "wire is wire". My recent up-grade transformed my speakers. Get the best you can afford. Analysis Plus are excellent, as are WireWorld.

Its fun to watch the thread debates with those same folks arguing how they hear no difference with a pair of $29 compared to $329 interconnects. They are probably correct, 1) Many times they can't hear it - we all hear differently. Those with more sensitive hearing can hear the difference. 2) often times in said situations the equipment and speakers being used are mediocre at best. 3) Those same folks also know they can spend $ elsewhere to benefit their system elsewhere first. And those systems may just as well sound the same with $8.99 pair of cables from Home Depot if "wire is wire". Hey, If there are multiple weak links in the system, it's probably true as the rest of the components used just has wire inside so why waste money on high $ cables. Makes sense in those situations to not buy more than what is needed. I've been testing different interconnects for over 40 years, and agree "wire is wire in some systems", and it can be a game changer in others. A good buddy tested a lot, at great expense, and having a chance to listen to differences on his systems was very educational. Connect with friends, it helps.

I'd also mention that some brands have varying levels of cables and not all cables of all brands may sound great. The case of AP, only the Crystal Solos sound nice in my system. I don't care for the regular OFC copper or upper end silver as much in my particular system as it's already transparent to begin with. So, testing different cables in the different lines using something like the CableCo loaner program is helpful. Buying blindly and hoping it will sound okay is a crapshoot at best. Cables in one system could sound great and lousy in another system. Systems vary, and everyone's hearing varies too.

BENEFIT $:
The benefit with these folks and the nay-sayers is periodically they do cave in every once in a while and finally go out and buy high $ cables to try them. And, some, panicking hearing no difference, and then quickly re-list them for sale at less than half price and dump them. This makes a great opportunity for those who know what they are looking for and where it can be applied to make a difference. Hey, snatch them up at a great price if you know what you want or to just try it, ya never know. If you do, and buy them right and don't like them, someone will always take them off your hands if they are one of the more well known lines with better quality materials, design, and connectors. Loaner programs or borrowing a demo from a local audio dealer or audio buddy helps too if you have this type of access. There is a cost associated with figuring out the benefit though, to each his own.

Last edited by decooney; 12-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The AP Solo digital cable really surprised me. One seller was pounding the table about it. He was right and it's not that expensive. I paid $232 for one meter shipped. I was using a cable from Dennis Boyl/Chimera Labs for about ten years. The AP is much better.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Retired

Yes........ when folks tell me they cannot hear any difference in cables I always reply that they have my sympathy because either their hearing or their system is substandard. But, that could be a good thing. Saves them $$. My two audio epiphanies are MC cartridges and when a high-end shop gave me a $295 IC in the mid-90s and told me to try it in my system. He said either send it back or a check. Obviously, he got the check.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
The AP Solo digital cable really surprised me. One seller was pounding the table about it. He was right and it's not that expensive. I paid $232 for one meter shipped. I was using a cable from Dennis Boyl/Chimera Labs for about ten years. The AP is much better.
Found one thing I can’t do (at all) with the AP cables since I got them in the system. And that’s trying to cheat listening cold before my tube gear warms up. They mask nothing. Sound like %-+=/! cold.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:19 AM

Anybody got a recommendation for a good USB cable? I'm using the one that came with the Orchid and it sounds pretty good.

For my 75ohm cable I'm using a Nordost Blue Heaven.

Most of the rest of my cables are home theater interconnects picked up cheap. I expect I'll replace them as funds allow.
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusTubesNow View Post
Anybody got a recommendation for a good USB cable? I'm using the one that came with the Orchid and it sounds pretty good.

For my 75ohm cable I'm using a Nordost Blue Heaven.

Most of the rest of my cables are home theater interconnects picked up cheap. I expect I'll replace them as funds allow.
For USB, I tried the stock supplied Orchid cable too, works well. Seems to be a fairly nice well made cable with good materials and not some junk throw-in. Thats what we like about those guys at MHDT, they design and listen and try to sell a competitive product with the necessities. Might be hard to beat that stock USB until you tried several others to better it. It's worth trying different tubes in that DAC for sure as you've already got some nice cables, and that Nordost Blue Heavan is reportedly a nice cable too. If not done, caps and tubes are your next best bet. The stock caps are not bad in that unit either, but the stock GE5670 triple Mica tube is a tad tipped up for nice clear an clean open sound. If you want warmer try that Tesla, it sits right between the GE and the WE396A in the Orchid. Nice.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Is that the pinched waist Tesla? Or a *regular* Czech Tesla...
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.