AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Retired

MTN - if you do 'DAC roll' with an Abbas Audio DAC I would be interested in your Orchid. Keep us posted on your experiments.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusTubesNow View Post
FloridaBoy -
... I've been reading a lot (why oh why do I do this? I seem to obsess over reading all kinds of threads on various fora about tube rolling in the Orchid...) ...You've probably read the same thread(s) as me about tube rolling in this thing.
... Do you still have both DACs? Which do you prefer?
Any time I was making changes whether it be tubes in my Orchid, or different interconnects, or different caps in the DAC, or general burn-in time on new devices, the conversations back and forth between FloridaBoy and I always led me back to the same variables before drawing any hard conclusions:

1) Give it another 3-4 weeks to settle in. Reminder to self to give it "time".
2) Each system, cables, speakers are different, "it's all system dependent".
3) We all hear things differently. What's dull to one person is bright to another.
4) Most of what you read is a general guideline at best. Rooms, systems, all vary.
5) Nobody really knows unless you try it in YOUR system. Results will vary.

Rinse and repeat, every time you change something else in your system. i.e. an Orchid might be good in system A, and the Abbas in system B. I'd say the biggest difference is the variance with speakers and rooms we all have. Such a wide array of variables for anyone to be able make firm recommendations. I now look at it all as general guidelines, just try it and resell what does not fit in your system. Be prepared to spend $, it's a hobby.

Last edited by decooney; 12-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:35 AM

Question So true, system synergy is the key

Decooney -

Your comments about giving it time and system synergy are right on.

As the Orchid burns in I find it mellowing out a bit. And thoughts about tube-rolling or bringing in one of Abbas's DACs, or one of the Space Tech DACs have become less distracting.

I do find myself in a bit of a conundrum though, because I can't imagine my system sounding any better. It's sounding the best it ever has. How to describe? Juicy. Relaxing. Rich, gorgeous. Satisfying. Fat, but not inappropriately so. "Rich" is probably a better descriptor than Fat. Bass is not overblown or loose. It's "just right".

I do notice that you haven't responded to my question about whether you still have the Abbas DAC. If you do, do you find yourself switching between the two or do you lean towards preferring one over the other?
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Decooney -

As the Orchid burns in I find it mellowing out a bit. And thoughts about tube-rolling or bringing in one of Abbas's DACs, or one of the Space Tech DACs have become less distracting.

I do find myself in a bit of a conundrum though, because I can't imagine my system sounding any better. It's sounding the best it ever has. How to describe? Juicy. Relaxing. Rich, gorgeous. Satisfying. Fat, but not inappropriately so. "Rich" is probably a better descriptor than Fat. Bass is not overblown or loose. It's "just right".

I do notice that you haven't responded to my question about whether you still have the Abbas DAC. If you do, do you find yourself switching between the two or do you lean towards preferring one over the other?

FloridaBoy can share more on his Abbas.

Yes, he also reminds me to have patience. Both tube and caps are settling in.

————

Yes we both tried Tesla tube in Orchid DAC

Yes, we both tried new caps in our Orchid DACs.

Yes, we both swapped in different ICs and Digital COAX.

Changes are not always better or worse but “different” sound.

From here it’s tune to your preferred taste - more or less salt and pepper and spice. Each likes different flavors.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Decooney -

Yes, I still have the Abbas. It and the Orchid are very good, but a bit different. Just focus on the Orchid; because you have it.

You need to try Tidal. The SQ is much better than Spotify. Does your streaming unit support Tidal? I and Decooney are using Arcam R Play units for streaming. It does not support MQA but I am not interested in high rez.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:47 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I and Decooney are using Arcam R Play units for streaming. It does not support MQA but I am not interested in high rez.
Hi-rez & MQA are totally different animals. One can either without the other.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Hi-rez & MQA are totally different animals. One can either without the other.

...yeah, and both of us are more focused on Lossless, CD level quality, with R2R style Ladder DACs.

Anything that sounds like an echo or reverb'd oversampled music is not as natural and normal sounding to me. Can't wait to see what comes after MQA when it's oversampled a million times and compressed and decompressed and who knows what else...
Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Thank you FloridaBoy, decooney, Formerly YB-2

Thanks for the advice about concentrating on the Orchid. This morning I'm sitting here listening and just soaking in the music. Wondering how the heck it can sound so good. Not particularly concerned about rolling tubes or swapping for one of Abbas's units.

Question: What tubes have you guys ended up with? Did you ever try that adapter thing with, like, a Mullard 6DJ8?

Also kind of interesting that it seems that several of us are using tube preamps with 6SN7 tubes.
Analog sources: Garrard 401 in custom Baltic birch plinth, Jelco 850L 12" arm, Dynavector 17D3 into custom LCR phono stage, LP12 w/Ittok temporarily removed from system, Sony 2251/stock arm/Signet 33Ea into Plinius Jarrah phono stage, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Numark dj turntable for playing 78s
Digital: Old laptop streaming Spotify or Cambridge CXC into MHDT Orchid with Amperex 6DJ8 tube (via socket adapter), Naim CD 3.5 cd player
Preamp: Supratek Cortese with LCR
Power amplifiers: Audio Electronic Supply (AES) SE-1 300B SET, Quad 909
Speakers: Quad ESL 2805, JBL 4430 studio monitors (93 dB efficient, so they work well with the 300B amp)
Power: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 lead-acid battery generator, Core Power power cords into the amps, otherwise all stock power cables (Note: the Yeti has been a significant system upgrade)

What's next: maybe some new production 6SN7 tubes or some quasi-mesh TJ Full Music 300Bs in the SE-1.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice about concentrating on the Orchid. This morning I'm sitting here listening and just soaking in the music. Wondering how the heck it can sound so good. Not particularly concerned about rolling tubes or swapping for one of Abbas's units.

Question: What tubes have you guys ended up with? Did you ever try that adapter thing with, like, a Mullard 6DJ8?

Also kind of interesting that it seems that several of us are using tube preamps with 6SN7 tubes.
Use a 5670 etc. *I* settled on a Czech TESLA 6CC42. The tube you prefer will depend on your system. Don't chase the rare and expensive variants. Don't bother with 6DJ8's. If the stock tube sounds fine to you that's great. Each system is different and there is no 'best' tube, just the one YOU prefer.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 12-14-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Other variables to consider for comparing apples to apples vs oranges. Both FloridaBoy and I have zero’d in on aligning our input and DAC front end and cables to compare. We do use different preamps, amps, tubes. What is similar and being compared between us:

Re: DAC (Orchid)
Warmup - I’ve found the Orchid is better after 45 min warmup (at least). 1hr+
Tubes - they all add different flavors. GE 5670 (brighter), Tesla (mid point), WE .....WE396A (warmest, rolled off).
Connection: we are using Digi COAX, not USB or Optical. Preference. FYI.
Cables: OCC copper (brighter) and more open than softer OFC interconnects.
Source: Arcam rPlay, not Bluesound Node2+. Another variable for others.
Content: Streamimg Tidal Hi-FI, lossless. Not MQA. Not CDs.

Goal:
See how smooth we can make it for streamed digital content with a sub-focus on less than ideal tracks from the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s. Not as much about perfect CDs. We know good CDs and tracks sound better.