AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I don't need a streamer that exceeds the specs of my own DAC but my DAC far exceeds the specs of Roon/Tidal/Qobuz Max on Qobuz is 192/24

I buy high res in DSD (really less than 50 albums so far) as high as I can go on my DAC:

(PCM) 384kHz (16, 24, 32bits)
USB input (DSD) : 2.82M, 5.64MHz (1bit)
COAX/OPT 192kHz (16, 20, 24bits)

So hopefully it will keep serving me well for quite some time.
And it will... I mean realistically, above 44.1 sampling rates are arguably lost on dog ears and bats... Just as turn tables aren't out of date, a DAC that is well made, had a good analogue output section that can play 192kHz PCM and 2XDSD or lower will always sound good... even in 100 years.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM992 View Post
And it will... I mean realistically, above 44.1 sampling rates are arguably lost on dog ears and bats... Just as turn tables aren't out of date, a DAC that is well made, had a good analogue output section that can play 192kHz or lower will always sound good... even in 100 years.
The "upsampled" high resolution music that is available for purchase has failed to impress me. The MQA without a full MQA unfold has so far not only failed to impress me but has turned me off with the penalty of listening to it with a non-MQA dac and the often louder/harsher presentation vs Qobuz of the same album. The Qobuz 192/24 music is very analog smooth but again ultimately depends on the recording.

So what does that leave us? For a truly impressive high resolution material, there is only the high resolution recorded music. Such as the https://www.soundliaison.com/

When music is actually captured in high resolution gear to begin with, such as their DXD 352,8 kHz, ONE MIC recording with minimal processing of any kind.... Well, that is the ONE to listen to! Jaw drop...

My friend is still listening to his Krell Studio DAC and MD20 transport from more than 25 years ago. It sounds awesome on REDBOOK.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-13-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Off-topic but this is my own thread.

Krell among a few others used to build some seriously good looking gear back in the day.

I don't think Dan D'Agostino has ever changed on the aesthetics are important philosophy.

http://www.hifitimereview.com/krell-md-20-cd-transport/

http://www.vintagehificlub.com/wp-co...13/06/md20.jpg

Last edited by PHC1; 12-13-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:31 PM

I always wanted one of those Krell disc spinners. Don’t hear much about them anymore.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Roon Network Streamer

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/ro...twork-streamer
Old 12-13-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Yes, I have looked at them before. Price aside, one can build a similar device for roughly 60% cheaper, a complete one box solution for a Roon core and straight out to the DAC via USB has always been the logical approach to me.

The question and the debate as far as I know, still remains the USB to DAC from a computer is not as good as a streamer?

Has anyone actually compared those scenarios? Roon core straight to DAC vs Roon via streamer?
Old 12-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I always wanted one of those Krell disc spinners. Don’t hear much about them anymore.
Took a while to find a replacement laser assembly (more than just a few years for my friend) but we finally found a NOS laser assembly for that Krell and now it should be good for another quarter of a century. It was out of commission for nearly 6 years before we finally fixed it. Fortunately the laser assembly dropped in and everything worked without any drama. Good looking machine!

Old 12-13-2020, 03:39 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Yes, I have looked at them before. Price aside, one can build a similar device for roughly 60% cheaper, a complete one box solution for a Roon core and straight out to the DAC via USB has always been the logical approach to me.

The question and the debate as far as I know, still remains the USB to DAC from a computer is not as good as a streamer?

Has anyone actually compared those scenarios? Roon core straight to DAC vs Roon via streamer?

Serge, I'm only a Roon newbie.
But as far as I understand, you need a Roon endpoint also.
A core can't directly stream to a DAC.
Of course there are Roon cores that are renderers also, like my streamer (which also upsamples and reclocks everything).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-13-2020, 03:54 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Took a while to find a replacement laser assembly (more than just a few years for my friend) but we finally found a NOS laser assembly for that Krell and now it should be good for another quarter of a century. It was out of commission for nearly 6 years before we finally fixed it. Fortunately the laser assembly dropped in and everything worked without any drama. Good looking machine!

Brings back fond memories, I had the MD10 transport and sold it because replacement parts would not be available. Sold mine while it was still working properly.

Last edited by tdelahanty; 12-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Serge, I'm only a Roon newbie.
But as far as I understand, you need a Roon endpoint also.
A core can't directly stream to a DAC.
Of course there are Roon cores that are renderers also, like my streamer (which also upsamples and reclocks everything).
Pretty sure you can Bart.

Developed in partnership with Intel, the Nucleus sits on your network acting as a Roon Server Core for your NAS or USB drive-based music library. Roon can also stream from your Tidal account and make it all available to any and every Roon endpoint you have. Roon built a custom based operating system around the Intel NUC board. The Nucleus is housed in a special casing and runs fanless so it can be placed with your hi-fi equipment if you want to connect it via USB to your DAC.