AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Life is beautiful

Cecilia Bartoli - Queen off Baroque
Qobuz 24/48

Different ensembles, and different composers.
From Händel, over Vivaldi, Porpora, Vinci, Pergolesi, Albinoni, Broschi, Steffani, Scarlatti, Caldara to Graun.

Well done.
She's very passionate yet composed.

Coro della Radiotelevisione Svizzera (12) | I Barocchisti | Diego Fasolis (1, 7, 12, 16)
Il Giardino Armonico | Giovanni Antonini (2, 4, 9, 11, 15)
Academy of Ancient Music | Christopher Hogwood (3, 17)
Sinfonietta de Montréal | Charles Dutoit (5) | Sonatori de la Gioiosa Marca (6)
Les Musiciens du Louvre | Marc Minkowski (8, 13, 14)
Cappella Gabetta | Andrés Gabetta (10)

Edit: it is in fact a compilation. Very coherent.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 11-28-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:08 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Two new,well done albums this morning, so far:

Cecilia Bartoli / Sol Gabetta / Cappella Gabetta
Dolce Duello

Release Date November 10, 2017
Duration01:16:40
Genre
Classical
Styles
Opera
Recording DateMarch 8, 2017 - March 14, 2017
Recording Location
Evangelisch-reformierte Kirchgemeinde, Zürich-Oberstrass, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Cecilia & Sol - Dolce Duello
Cappella Gabetta, Andrés Gabetta
Qobuz 24/96

I do not always love la Bartoli.
But in this small ensemble, she's great.
As is Sol Gabetta (we saw her earlier this season, she's gorgeous to hear and to look at).

Delicious music from Caldara, Vivaldi, Händel, Porpora, Gabrielli and Albinoni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I never did pull the trigger on this one... it was in and out of my cart much of the year... So much wonderful music to choose from!

Ed, it's not up to me to make your inventory, but I do think you own this wonderful album.
We're giving it another go.
It's truly excellent.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Cecilia Bartoli - Farinelli
Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini
Qobuz 24/96

La Bartoli does it again!
What a performance...

There are no current voices that can equal the castrates of Farinelli's era.
For the Belgian motion picture 'Farinelli' that got an Academy Award in the 90s, they had to combine a counter tenor and a female voice.

I have to say that Cecilia Bartoli comes very close here. Wow!

It seems like a Bartoli evening.
We admire the control over her voice.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Cecilia Bartoli - Sacrificium
Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini
via Qobuz

We're staying with La Bartoli.
We own the CD, but this time we're streaming.

It has been a long three years since Cecilia Bartoli's previous release, Maria, brought nineteenth century coloratura Maria Malibran into the public consciousness. Decca's Sacrificium -- which reunites Bartoli with expert period band Il Giardino Armonico for the first time since 1999's The Vivaldi Album -- certainly makes clear that it was well worth the wait. In keeping with her long series of themed collections of opera arias, in this release Bartoli explores literature associated with the long lost vocal range of the castrati, male singers who were surgically altered in puberty in order to retain the high end of their voices into adulthood. The outlawing of castrati in Italy in 1870 brought this vicious practice to an end, but it also condemned two centuries' worth of operatic and sacred music to obscurity owing to the unsuitability of ordinary voices to sing in this special range; since then, a number of male countertenors have come to grips with it, with varying degrees of success, and an increasing number of females -- usually altos -- have been adopting castrato literature, as well. Bartoli -- a mezzo-soprano -- has got an amazing top end, well demonstrated in the earlier Maria release, but here she exhibits the bottom of her range to stunning effect; at one point when she dips down low in Francesco Araia's aria "Cadrò, ma qual si mira," Bartoli sounds like a man. While there are plenty of male singers who can approximate female voice, for it to go the other way around is indeed rare.
Also rare are the 12 selections on the main disc, every one of them a premiere recording of some kind. Bartoli has long established herself as an advocate for neglected or little known literature, and there is such a wealth of unused castrato literature that coming by such material probably wasn't difficult, but it also seems the album's producers were quite careful in finding examples that were representative of the theme, musically challenging for Bartoli and of generally excellent quality; even Il Giardino Armonico gets a great workout in "Nobil onda," an aria from Nicola Porpora's 1723 opera Adelaide. It is Porpora who emerges from this material as the champion composer for castrati, which is gratifying; an increasing number of Porpora releases in the times leading up to Sacrificium makes clear that he was one of the greats among Western composers and it's nice to see a major label like Decca pay some homage to him. However, Sacrificium's compilers have not lost sight of the unique talents of the star performer; no one would accuse Porpora's "Usignolo sventurato" from the opera Siface as being a great aria, with its limited range and texture. However, Bartoli's sensuous delivery and bold characterization of the piece makes something very special out of it, a major highlight of the program.
Bartoli's voice is of a quality that cuts through the veils of history and delivers this obscure music with absolute perfection; Decca's Sacrificium should easily please all comers.

© TiVo
Old 11-28-2020, 06:34 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Antonio Vivaldi
Cecilia Bartoli
Ensemble Matheus, Jean-Christophe Spinosi
Qobuz 24/96

I'm not the biggest Vivaldi fan, and la Bartoli can sometimes be ear shattering.
But this album is a gem.
We're playing this for the second time today, and it is truly fantastic.

To end the evening in a delicious way.
This is magnificent.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:14 AM
Go Dawgs

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-29-2020, 07:37 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Saint-Saëns: Sonates & Trio
Renaud Capuçon (violin), Edgar Moreau (cello), Bertrand Chamayou (piano)
Erato (2020), via Qobuz

From this week’s Presto newsletter. A very nice new release.

Tony, just listened to this.
I had it on my list because our classical radio station 'Klara' chose it as their album of the month.
A true delight: the works, the performance, the sound!
Old 11-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Life is beautiful

John Luther Adams - The Become Trilogy
Seattle Symphony, Ludovic Morlot
via Qobuz

'Become Desert' was a work I listened to last year, after Tony had posted it.
Now the trilogy is complete, although the composer never intended to write a trilogy.
Become River, Become Ocean, Become Desert are the three pieces.
Fascinating, uplifting soundscapes.
The explanation by the composer in the booklet is worth reading.

@Kal: I looked for a multichannel version, but couldn't find one (it is mentioned that they recorded in multichannel and it was performed with the public sitting in between the orchestra that was divided into five sections)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Ed, it's not up to me to make your inventory, but I do think you own this wonderful album.
We're giving it another go.
It's truly excellent.
Yes I do... my post puzzles me. Unless I quoted the wrong post that day????
Old 11-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Life is beautiful

Earlier today, I had my weekly dose of viola da gamba.

Antoine Forqueray - Pièces de viole
Atsushi Sakai
Christophe Rousset
Marion Martineau

Qobuz 24/96

This set lasts 3h 20', but 2 pieces are not available, so you would have to buy them if you wanted those 20'.
I was happy with the remaining three hours.
I am a big fan of Rousset, his solo work, his small ensemble work, and his conductorship (Les Talens Lyriques).
This set received a 5 de Diapason.
The booklet is only in French, which I find an odd choice.