AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Chief Toneologist

Default Ear plugs when driving and other noisy activities

Reading another forum (AudioAsylum) I run into a thread with a link to a Stereophile articles on wearing ear-plugs regularly.

I've learned to use the following earplugs every time I get in the car and it has made a very significant difference:

It took only a couple of days to get used to them, and I can clearly hear any of the sounds which, if obstructed, would be dangerous (e.g. horns, other cars passing by, etc.)

I also keep a pair in my pocket for the random situation (e.g. when the leaf-blowers and lawn-mowers come to work right in front of my office, or our company all-hands meetings when people's clapping sound can reach well over 100dbs - like many little firecracker explosion). I use them when I play electric guitar. And I ALWAYS wear them when I go to the movies or concerts.

If you care about your hearing, I would heartily recommend that you try this specific model of earplugs.

Alberto
Old 06-28-2009, 12:15 PM

I bought these on your previous recomendation in another thread. I commute on a motorcyle almost everday. Unlike most of the goons on bikes I do wear safety gear inluding ear plugs. Unfortuneatly these plugs don't work well under a helmet. The plastic rod that you hold on to install or remove the plugs hits my helmet. I may see if I can cut it down. Otherwise they are good ear plugs.

John
Old 06-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm5483 View Post
I bought these on your previous recomendation in another thread. I commute on a motorcyle almost everday. Unlike most of the goons on bikes I do wear safety gear inluding ear plugs. Unfortuneatly these plugs don't work well under a helmet. The plastic rod that you hold on to install or remove the plugs hits my helmet. I may see if I can cut it down. Otherwise they are good ear plugs.

John
Hi John,

I believe that the plastic rods are more than just to insert and remove the plugs, they are part of the mechanism to attenuate the frequencies evenly; by cutting them you'd probably defeat the purpose. That must be a tight helmet you have .

Alberto
Old 06-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Reading another forum (AudioAsylum) I run into a thread with a link to a Stereophile articles on wearing ear-plugs regularly.

I've learned to use the following earplugs every time I get in the car and it has made a very significant difference.

It took only a couple of days to get used to them, and I can clearly hear any of the sounds which, if obstructed, would be dangerous (e.g. horns, other cars passing by, etc.)

I also keep a pair in my pocket for the random situation (e.g. when the leaf-blowers and lawn-mowers come to work right in front of my office, or our company all-hands meetings when people's clapping sound can reach well over 100dbs - like many little firecracker explosion). I use them when I play electric guitar. And I ALWAYS wear them when I go to the movies or concerts.

If you care about your hearing, I would heartily recommend that you try this specific model of earplugs.

Alberto
Alberto.. I have a lot of trouble in the car with the driver window down. The rushing air and road noise really aggravate my bad left ear. Like a fool I do nothing about it except roll up the window. Things got much worse last DEC 30th when a guy from work and I went to an indoor firing range for some target practice. My trusty ol' Sonic II earplugs (supposedly for shooters) did NOT provide enough protection in the concrete-wall range, and my left ear was damaged even more than before. It hasn't come back fully in 6 months. That is going to make listening to music more painful and less enjoyable.

It's not that I'm deaf.. it's a hypersensitivity and permanent ringing in the ear.

-Gregory
Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 PM

On the other hand, some hearing loss can probably save $$$ since the audio system doesn't need to be so elaborate any more...
Old 06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post

It's not that I'm deaf.. it's a hypersensitivity and permanent ringing in the ear.

-Gregory
Same here with the hypersensitivity. It' a blessing and a curse. I can hear things most other people don't, but I am very sensitive to some noises. Even a fan that would not bug most people bugs me if it's on for extended period of time.

I have a feeling a lot of it is psychological - I've become very protective of my hearing since my interest in audio has been rekindled.

That's one of the reason why the audio when I watch TV comes from just the built-in speakers. I know that if I put in a 5.1 or 7.1 system, I'd listen louder. I want to preserve my hearing for music on my McIntosh system.

For example, I enjoy watching Formula 1 (or did until this crazy season), but when I watched at a friend's house with a 7.1 surround, the noise from those 18,000+ RPM engines drove me nuts and I put on the plugs. My friends thought I was crazy .

As far as driving with the windows open. I love the feeling, but it can really wreak havoc with your hearing. My ENT said that a lot of people have higher frequency hearing loss in their left ear in the US and in the right ear in the UK (where the driver's window is on the opposite side).

Alberto
Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post

As far as driving with the windows open. I love the feeling, but it can really wreak havoc with your hearing. My ENT said that a lot of people have higher frequency hearing loss in their left ear in the US and in the right ear in the UK (where the driver's window is on the opposite side).

Alberto
Same with skin cancer. It's just not safe to leave the comfort of your home any more.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Same with skin cancer. It's just not safe to leave the comfort of your home any more.
Well.. we don't watch tv at all, and don't have any cable of satellite service because of media control. As far as skin cancer.. that could be an urban myth in that it's essential for good health to get out in the sun, which provides the body with Vitamin D. If you listen to the tv, who is more concerned with the profits of corporations, then you stay indoors and watch the MORE tv instead of getting out for some fresh air and sunshine. Note.. everything in moderation, and that goes for your listening!!

-Gregory
Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Well.. we don't watch tv at all, and don't have any cable of satellite service because of media control. As far as skin cancer.. that could be an urban myth in that it's essential for good health to get out in the sun, which provides the body with Vitamin D. If you listen to the tv, who is more concerned with the profits of corporations, then you stay indoors and watch the MORE tv instead of getting out for some fresh air and sunshine. Note.. everything in moderation, and that goes for your listening!!

-Gregory
Agreed. Everything in moderation is always a good idea.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Alberto, The problem with fixed ear plugs is you have a occluded feeling and you have trouble hearing people around you. They do not fit your perfectly and tend to be less comfortable and they tend to lead to cerumen impaction. You should have a pair of musicians plugs custom made for you, they are not that expensive . They are more comfortable as they are made from a impression of your ear canal, you do not feel as occluded as they have a diaphragm and give 10- 20 db of hearing attenuation. I would also recommend that you have a baseline hearing test. Take a road trip to Princeton and I'll take good care of you