AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Default Customer Feedback

Hi James,

Which format do you recommend for ripping CDs, AIFF, FLAC or WAVE and which ripping software would you recommend or you are currently use for CD ripping?

Could you also recommend some High Res music, title or ablums, so that we can demo the BDP-1.

By the way, not that you wouldn't know by now, the BDP-1 is a "KILLER" product, just the right product for the right job.

Regards,
James
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Hi James, I have over 3 tb of Apple Lossless music files. Is the BDP able to read them from any formated hard drive or does it need a Linux filesystem? They currently reside on an Apple Xserve with a Promise Vtrak Array attached by a quad 4gb fibre connection. Would I have to attach a drive to the BDP, format the drive with the BDP, and move them across the network? I also have an off subject question. My front speakers are Infinity IRS V's. I need two three way active crossovers to replace the ones they came with and are not working well anymore. I would need to be able to adjust the sub portion to go down to 16Hz and variable up to 45 to 120 Hz. The mid range adjustable on the low end from 80 Hz to 240 Hz and 3500 Hz to 4500 Hz on the top end. And the highs on the low side from 3500 Hz to 4500 Hz and it can top out at 45k Hz. Can your crossovers be built to accomodate those specs or how close can we come? thanks, Larry
Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
Hi James, I have over 3 tb of Apple Lossless music files. Is the BDP able to read them from any formated hard drive or does it need a Linux filesystem? They currently reside on an Apple Xserve with a Promise Vtrak Array attached by a quad 4gb fibre connection. Would I have to attach a drive to the BDP, format the drive with the BDP, and move them across the network? I also have an off subject question. My front speakers are Infinity IRS V's. I need two three way active crossovers to replace the ones they came with and are not working well anymore. I would need to be able to adjust the sub portion to go down to 16Hz and variable up to 45 to 120 Hz. The mid range adjustable on the low end from 80 Hz to 240 Hz and 3500 Hz to 4500 Hz on the top end. And the highs on the low side from 3500 Hz to 4500 Hz and it can top out at 45k Hz. Can your crossovers be built to accomodate those specs or how close can we come? thanks, Larry
Hi Larry,

Yes you would have to copy your files to a USB harddrive and then plug the USB drive in to the BDP-1. The BDP-1 is really a Digital Player rather than a Server so some caution is required depending on how you use your system.

As for the crossover - we can make the crossover point anything you wish with 6/12/18 or 24dB per octive slopes but it is a set point not a rotary option.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-23-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Hi James,

Thanks for the info on the BDP. I am over a hundred miles from a dealer but I will try to arrange a time to go check it out and listen. I will also try to determine the best set points for the crossovers and I expect the dealer can place the order for that as well. Because of my lack of proximity to dealers, especially those that have some high quality equipment to listen to, I many times end up buying something, trying it, and selling it if it doesn't work in my system.

What I am doing now is digitizing my vinyl because the quality is much better than CD. I am saving in DVD-A format 24/192k. As I understand, the BDP will play those if kept on a USB Harddrive. It appears the content providers have no interest in going beyond redbook but i believe audiophiles do. Thanks for the help, Larry
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
Hi James,

Thanks for the info on the BDP. I am over a hundred miles from a dealer but I will try to arrange a time to go check it out and listen. I will also try to determine the best set points for the crossovers and I expect the dealer can place the order for that as well. Because of my lack of proximity to dealers, especially those that have some high quality equipment to listen to, I many times end up buying something, trying it, and selling it if it doesn't work in my system.

What I am doing now is digitizing my vinyl because the quality is much better than CD. I am saving in DVD-A format 24/192k. As I understand, the BDP will play those if kept on a USB Harddrive. It appears the content providers have no interest in going beyond redbook but i believe audiophiles do. Thanks for the help, Larry
Hi Larry,

Yes the BDP-1 will play 192/24 with no issues. I would be very interested in you assessment of how the vinyl to 192 sounds? What turntable and cartridge are you using?

james
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 AM

Hi James, I am using a McIntosh MT10 which is really a Clearaudio Champion with a Stradavari V2 cartridge. I have just ordered a Tascam DV-RA1000HD to capture the audio. I have several other methods and they are rather cumbersome. I play them through a McIntosh C500 preamp. I have both tube and solid state versions. Then through the amps. My speakers are Infinity IRS V's. I can tell quite a difference between CD and Vinyl. The 192/24 sounds much better than the CD but I have a long ways to go before I have the process smooth. It will be nice to be able to play the better quality without having to get up frequently and get the wear on the vinyl. I haven't found any dealers for Bryston any where near me to listen to them and compare. I primarily have been listening to McIntosh since my Dad introduced me to it in the early 60's. But that doesn't mean I am not open minded.
I am looking forward to digitizing more this way and see how it works out. It is very much like video a few years ago. An upsampled CD sounds better than straight redbook but not as good as 192/24 just as a line doubler made a 480i DVD look better but not like a blu ray disc. The difference is the content providers are selling the same titles over as customers move to high def. But with so many people satisfied with iPod and MP3 quality sound, is the customer base there for them to release music in a new format? I seem to doubt it. Larry
Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Sent: November-24-10 6:56 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Litmus Test - BDP-1 Digital Player

"Hi James:

I haven't done much A-B comparison with all my new BDP-1. So I played the Paul Bley (Owl Eyes) solo piano cut that that I mentioned that sounds so life-like to me playing through the BDP-1.

Well, first I played the same cut using my Roku SoundBridge. All digital connections, but from my hard drive that is accessed from my laptop through my home network, and with the output to my BDA-1 DAC: the usual kind of music server you now find even in high end equipment. It sounded very good, but with something missing.

Next I tried playing the same cut from the original CD on my Theta Digital Jade CD transport, again with the output to my BDA-1 DAC. It sounded better, but still something missing.

Finally, I used the BDP-1. Clearly the best of the three. Again life-like. Again simply breath-takingly musical. I can't pin down what there is in the sound that makes it distinctly so, and so much better than the Roku or the CD, but my guess is that there is more to the sustain on the piano and the background being blacker than sin, and perhaps something I'm missing. It may be subtle, but it's unmistakable -- the way we know the difference between looking at a scene in a a superb high resolution photo or video and looking at the scene itself. The eye and the brain just know the difference even if you can't explain it.

As I said the first time I heard it -- the BDP-1 is a break-through product."

Dave
Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Jim, can you please email me the BDP-1 owners manual at imesser@bellsouth.net

Thanks
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Will do
Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

You are Da' Man!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES