AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 09-14-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
... given the power and resources with streaming companies like Spotify and Amazon etc. do you think their platform will evolve into a more 'library' based system thereby providing full service (downloads, library, streaming) to their customers?
Yes. What you describe is pretty much what Qobuz is already doing - others will evolve if only to compete.

I grew up in the era of LP and FM. It amazes me to think of all the changes in how people consume music these days, myself included.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Roon not Recognizing BDP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Yes. What you describe is pretty much what Qobuz is already doing - others will evolve if only to compete.

I grew up in the era of LP and FM. It amazes me to think of all the changes in how people consume music these days, myself included.

Much as I love Qobuz and their music selection, their software doesn’t really compete with Roon, jRiver, Minimserver or other application, and can hardly be called music management software. It only provides library management in the sense that you can see all your downloads from Qobuz - you can’t integrate any other music such as cd rips and downloads from sources other than Qobuz; you can’t manage the library in any way, e.g. edit metadata, change genre; you can’t sort, organize or group music in different ways; and you can’t control play to multiple devices. It’s search capabilities and artist/album information is good, but this is becoming quite common and is driven by other sources such as allmusic.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 09-14-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Much as I love Qobuz ... their software ... only provides library management in the sense that you can see all your downloads from Qobuz - you can’t integrate any other music such as cd rips and downloads from sources other than Qobuz ...
But Qobuz is only part of the equation. Using something like an Aurender, you can easily integrate NAS or Aurender's own HD so that all of your digital music appears in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
... you can’t manage the library in any way, e.g. edit metadata, change genre; you can’t sort, organize or group music in different ways ...
Quite so. You need to use other software for those functions. Qobuz is not a complete solution.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:05 AM

CLPeterson-

Thank you for the explanation; this is all becoming clearer. The Bryston section on the Roon help page has gotten me more focused as well. Now that I am less "light on the lingo" (as Seinfeld says)...

What I wanted to do is run Roon core on the Bryston and use the internal SSD on the Bryston as the "NAS" so to speak. The laptop serving as the remote.

What I will have to do is put the Bryston's SSD music on the laptop. No problem to do that. Hopefully then I can get the BDP3 recognized by Roon and go from there. I would hope the sound going through the BDP3 will be better than the laptop hooked directly to the DAC.

This method seems convoluted, sending the music files on the laptop to the Bryston via WiFi rather than just reading the files from the Bryston. I guess I could hook an external drive or NAS to the Bryston (?).

Maybe there will be a firmware update to allow the BDP to run as a core hint/hint

Open question to anyone,

Might is be better to run an ethernet cable from the laptop to the BDP3 rather than WiFi?

Thanks to all for your help in navigating me through this new adventure!

Last edited by John Jordan; 09-14-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
CLPeterson-

Thank you for the explanation; this is all becoming clearer. The Bryston section on the Roon help page has gotten me more focused as well. Now that I am less "light on the lingo" (as Seinfeld says)...

What I wanted to do is run Roon core on the Bryston and use the internal SSD on the Bryston as the "NAS" so to speak. The laptop serving as the remote.

What I will have to do is put the Bryston's SSD music on the laptop. No problem to do that. Hopefully then I can get the BDP3 recognized by Roon and go from there. I would hope the sound going through the BDP3 will be better than the laptop hooked directly to the DAC.

This method seems convoluted, sending the music files on the laptop to the Bryston via WiFi rather than just reading the files from the Bryston. I guess I could hook an external drive or NAS to the Bryston (?).

Maybe there will be a firmware update to allow the BDP to run as a core hint/hint

Open question to anyone,

Might is be better to run an ethernet cable from the laptop to the BDP3 rather than WiFi?

Thanks to all for your help in navigating me through this new adventure!
In general, running a cable is better, but if your Wifi is reliable, it won't make any difference.

You are asking the BDP3 to become a reasonably powerful computer to run Roon, especially iy you decide to look into its signal processing capabilities.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 09-14-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:13 PM

Thank you CLP.

I tired several combinations today including an ethernet cable from the Mac to the BDP. No luck in Roon seeing the BDP.

I have a quarry on the Roon/Bryston spot so perhaps this may yield further suggestions.

I also discovered some info today on the replacement to Manic Moose. It has been a work in progress for some time now and may include the ability for the BDP3 to run Roon Core.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Thank you CLP.

I tired several combinations today including an ethernet cable from the Mac to the BDP. No luck in Roon seeing the BDP.

I have a quarry on the Roon/Bryston spot so perhaps this may yield further suggestions.

I also discovered some info today on the replacement to Manic Moose. It has been a work in progress for some time now and may include the ability for the BDP3 to run Roon Core.
HI

We just learned that ROON apparently is not allowing any manufacturers to use their players to run ROON core.

james
Old 09-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
HI

We just learned that ROON apparently is not allowing any manufacturers to use their players to run ROON core.

james
Oh well, that would have been a simple, clean solution without the need for additional hardware. Thanks for this info James.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
HI

james

Hi James,

Do I understand you correctly?
My Grimm MU1 is a Roon core but also an endpoint.
So is the Merging NADAC player (stereo or multichannel).

Edit: I see the upcoming Mytek Empire will also be a Roon Core.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 09-16-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Hi James,

Do I understand you correctly?
My Grimm MU1 is a Roon core but also an endpoint.
So is the Merging NADAC player (stereo or multichannel).

Edit: I see the upcoming Mytek Empire will also be a Roon Core.
Yes I was told by engineering that they were told that ROON would not allow the BDP-3 to be a ROON core.

james