AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Default Schiit's wrong about cables

Enjoying my Yggy for the past several years, I've never questioned Schiit's recommendation to use simply "good" cables to connect to my preamp. I had a pair of Transparent Musiclink RCAs ($200) from my previous DAC, so I kept them.

Spurred by a desire to set up a second system, I decided to try out a pair of balanced cables with the Yggy and move the less expensive Musiclinks to the junior varsity. My dealer had outfitted the rest of my current interconnects as Transparent Plus ($400) a year ago, so when I told him I wanted balanced he sent me home with Transparent Plus Balanced ($800) and Transparent Super RCA ($800) to compare.

On comparing the Plus Balanced to the Musiclink RCA, the balanced cables were better in a subtle way--a bit more shimmer on vibraphones and the like, a bit more decay. But pretty much in line with Schiit's advice that cables aren't a big deal and balanced is better than single-ended.

But then I tried the Super RCAs--WOW! A huge improvement across the board and especially the texture of acoustic instruments, vocals, and imaging. It's kind of like a hose opened up. This was as big an improvement to my system as a new set of speakers or amplifier--better than than the Yggy upgrade I posted on a few months ago. I have a loaner set of Transparent Ultra RCAs ($1600) coming next week for one last comparison, but I'm ecstatic already.

YMMV, but if you are using simply "good" interconnects, and you have a nearby dealer who will loan you some cables, it is well worth the time to think about an upgrade.

Rock on
Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I think that Schiit actually knows that cables matter, but they also know the ire and rancor that making statements about cables causes on audio forums (particularly with "objectivists"), so they've just decided not to "go there".
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Retired

I must be a 'cable objectivist'. I object to not having the best possible cables that I can afford in my system. As with Peter, a loaner pair of cables from a dealer 30yr ago was an audio epiphany.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I must be a 'cable objectivist'. I object to not having the best possible cables that I can afford in my system. As with Peter, a loaner pair of cables from a dealer 30yr ago was an audio epiphany.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 PM

Paul McGowan of PS Audio credits Mike Moffatt of Schiit with providing him with his first cable epiphany many years ago. As @Puma Cat rightly notes, Jason Stoddard is very reticent to indulge in conversations about cables and fuses in on-line forums, with good reason.

I have Wireworld balanced cables running from my Yggy to my preamp and could not be more delighted by the sonic presentation.

Everything matters.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
Paul McGowan of PS Audio credits Mike Moffatt of Schiit with providing him with his first cable epiphany many years ago. As @Puma Cat rightly notes, Jason Stoddard is very reticent to indulge in conversations about cables and fuses in on-line forums, with good reason.

I have Wireworld balanced cables running from my Yggy to my preamp and could not be more delighted by the sonic presentation.

Everything matters.
Agreed. Having read Jason's Schiit Happened e-book for the last number of years, its very clear these are very sharp guys running a very successful business, and staying focused on they actually have control over: their own product development and portfolio. They don't have any control or influence over the types and brands of cables people use, so why waste time and energy on things that are outside of the control of your business? Staying focused on what you have control and influence over vs. what you don't is much more effective.