AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

One thing to watch out for: If you are using multiple outputs. The “OFF” state of various components can be unpredictable and can load the output stage of Gumby and I imagine Yggy as well. I came across that situations with one particular headphone amp that when connected to Gumby and turned OFF would cause Gumby output to distort while driving another headphones amp.
I think I understand. I am assuming there has been no damage to your equipment.

I would have 3 systems using the DAC. There would never be more than one system "on" at any given moment. The yggy would stay powered "on". Does that keep me out of trouble?
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 04-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

JC.......I have three digital source components connected to my Yggdrasil, the Aurender N100H via USB, the Sonos ZP1 zone player via optical, and the MOON 260D transport via the AES/EBU input. All are energized continuously without issue.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-06-2018, 03:17 PM

I would be doing the opposite. Stream from PC as one input only. Then have the 3 analog output to three separate preamps....for 3 "systems" off one DAC. Again......only 1 system "on" at a time.

This is probably not a problem.

I have become fatigued with buying media. I'm just gonna stream for awhile.
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
I think I understand. I am assuming there has been no damage to your equipment.

I would have 3 systems using the DAC. There would never be more than one system "on" at any given moment. The yggy would stay powered "on". Does that keep me out of trouble?
It is unlikely that you will come across the same problem I did (not really a problem, more like unusual scenario) but if you hear distortion you will know what it is and you will have to keep that other component on to have the high input impedance active and not load Yggy output stage.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 PM

Has anyone compared the sound quality of the balanced versus single ended outputs of the Yggy? The manual seems to suggest balanced to be better. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie_breaker View Post
Has anyone compared the sound quality of the balanced versus single ended outputs of the Yggy? The manual seems to suggest balanced to be better. Thank you in advance.
Aksel.......I tried both the balanced and the single ended outputs on my Yggdrasil DAC. Both outputs sound excellent but I have always preferred balanced interconnects between my components so that is how I have the Yggdrasil connected to my McIntosh C2300 preamplifier. I have no complaints with the balanced connection.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 PM

To Jdandy
I also got a Yggdrasil analog 2, so I’m wonder that which music server (MS) for YGG is the best solution, up to now, so many audiophile are using MS all in one (aurender N100h, cocktail X50 or Moon 260 transport like you) or MS with microrendu/ Sotm x200 + Nas + Usb ultra + liner power … And certainly, it’s difficult to compare which solutions are better, some DIYer said that MS with microrendu/ Sotm x200 is better than MS all in one, because in this case jitter is equal 0.
So, may I give you some questions related to using a MS with YGG ?
1. I read all threads related to your system (Aurender n100h/ moon 260 transport to YGG) and you used almost all Coaxial, optical, AES and Usb port, so in your opinion: which port is better than one ?
2. In your opinion, which Music server should be combined with YGG ? (I mean: MS with microrendu/ Sotm x200 or MS all in one like your system)
3. Is this very important to find a good music server for Yggdrasil analog 2 ?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

kenzoman.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado. .

I have tried any number of different music servers over the past six or seven years. These include the McIntosh MS750, Olive 04HD, Sony Vaio laptop with JRiver Media Center, HP i7 desktop with JRiver Media Center, Aurender N100H, and Aurender N10. The very best and most intutive to use is the Aurender N10, followed closely by the Aurender N100H. My preference for a music server centers on a well designed, fully shielded system with internal hard drives, and independent linear power supplies for the separate circuits, clock, and hard drives, all presented in a high quality component case. I like keeping things simple without all the laptop, external hard drives, Ethernet switches, cabling, and some micro-computer with a switch mode power supply. Everyone will have their own opinions. That's mine.

I use several different digital inputs on my Yggdrasil, USB, coaxial, and AES/EBU. All inputs are remarkably musical and satisfying.

Yes, the quality of your music server is important. The integrity of the files, the quality of the power, the operating system all matter. You can have a fantastic DAC like the Yggdrasil and fail to get the best from it with a mediocre server. As they say, garbage in, garbage out.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Thanks for your comment, it’s very clear, i’m trying to find a MS with AES port, sb told me it’s amazing if we connect Ygg to that port. Would you like to suggest any one ?

Did you hear about the new MS from Roon labs? (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...PJV___nuQ/edit)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Hello all,
New site member. I have had my Yggdrasil for about 9 days and I cannot believe how good this DAC sounds! I purchased a Oppo 205 to access the new Sabre DACs, but this Yiggy is truly in another league! Each day it sounds better like a flower blooming always changing. I now use the Oppo as a transport via Coax out to the Yiggy. I also have a blues sound node 2 via optical out to the Oppo and then out the same coax to the Yiggy. I use the Node 2 for its Tidal unfolded MQA streaming @ 44khz and 96khz. Sounds amazing. The sound stage is massive and the layering is incredible. Question how much break in time is recommended before the Yiggy hits its prime?

Regards
Jeff