AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Report from the recent 2009 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest Show in Denver:

Thomas Norton Blog - Stereophile Magazine
RMAF IX: Big Wonking Speakers, Itty Bitty Room
2:08 PM ET

If I had to give a prize for the best sound at the show, it would be a toss-up between the Wilson Sasha W/Ps tied to Ayre electronics, as discussed earlier, and the PMC MB2XBDi speakers driven by Bryston electronics (BCD-1 CD Player, BP26 Preamplifier and 7B SST-2 AMPLIFIERS).
Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM

James,

Glad that Bryston AND PMC are getting their due.

Great stuff for sure!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Last night I read the Stereophile review of the Bryston 7B SST˛ mono block amplifiers. My impression of Michael Fremer's attempt at reviewing the 7B SST˛ was he really wasn't interested in the amplifier from the outset, but was obligated to turn in X number of words before the publishing deadline, so he reluctantly banged out his article. He spent 20% of the review telling me what others have said about other Bryston amplifiers. He spent another 20% of the article teling me how wonderful and expensive his Mobile Fidelity Titan amplifier is, describing its attributes like that was the point of the review. He wasted additional words on long descriptions of record recording techniques, and layouts of churches where records were recorded. Michael was jamming all the filler he could into this review to build the word count, then reluctantly returned to bash the Bryston 7B SST˛ some more for not carrying the same load of water as his beloved $35K Titan. Even when Bryston supplied him with a fresh pair of 7B SST˛ amps with the upgraded transformer, he remained on the negative side right to the end of the article, with his very last comment. "But before buying a pair listen to the competition." Yeah, thanks for the sage advice Micky, like a person auditioning premium amplifiers wouldn't do that without your encouragement.

Michael, please keep your precious Titan amp that costs five times more than a pair of Bryston 7B SST˛ amps, and your mega buck speakers, turntable and arm, phono preamp, cartrdge, interconnects, speaker cables, isolation platforms, and your big comfy chair. Play your system loud, and play it long. Have a ball. It will give you something more productive to do than write reviews of amplifiers you have no interest in, just to earn a living.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-21-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM

+1 Dan
You couldn't have said it better! BRAVO!BRAVO!
I presume he twirls his brandy to see if it sticks to the side of his glass while he writes his so called fair reviews,and i don't even own any Bryston,but c'mon!!!
I would like to know how many people have the 7bsst2 in a $4 -$500,000 system in their home?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Last night I read the Stereophile review of the Bryston 7B SST˛ mono block amplifiers. My impression of Michael Fremer's attempt at reviewing the 7B SST˛ was he really wasn't interested in the amplifier from the outset, but was obligated to turn in X number of words before the publishing deadline, so he reluctantly banged out his article. He spent 20% of the review telling me what others have said about other Bryston amplifiers. He spent another 20% of the article teling me how wonderful and expensive his Mobile Fidelity Titan amplifier is, describing its attributes like that was the point of the review. He wasted additional words on long descriptions of record recording techniques, and layouts of churches where records were recorded. Michael was jamming all the filler he could into this review to build the word count, then reluctantly returned to bash the Bryston 7B SST˛ some more for not carrying the same load of water as his beloved $35K Titan. Even when Bryston supplied him with a fresh pair of 7B SST˛ amps with the upgraded transformer, he remained on the negative side right to the end of the article, with his very last comment. "But before buying a pair listen to the competition." Yeah, thanks for the sage advice Micky, like a person auditioning premium amplifiers wouldn't do that without your encouragement.

Michael, please keep your precious Titan amp that costs five times more than a pair of Bryston 7B SST˛ amps, and your mega buck speakers, turntable and arm, phono preamp, cartrdge, interconnects, speaker cables, isolation platforms, and your big comfy chair. Play your system loud, and play it long. Have a ball. It will give you something more productive to do than write reviews of amplifiers you have no interest in, just to earn a living.

Hello folks

I know, and i remember reading RG's review in HIFI+ of the Wilson maxx2. He used multiple amps, that he clearly listed to garner that nice review of those speakers. Using those speakers singularily for a the entire review seems tripe.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post
Hello folks

I know, and i remember reading RG's review in HIFI+ of the Wilson maxx2. He used multiple amps, that he clearly listed to garner that nice review of those speakers. Using those speakers singularily for a the entire review seems tripe.
I am not sure if I understand what you are stating. I would expect a reviewer to try speakers with more than one amplifier if possible. It does not tell me what I need to know if a certain reviewer only tells us what a speakers sounds like thru big VTL mono-blocks.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I am not sure if I understand what you are stating. I would expect a reviewer to try speakers with more than one amplifier if possible. It does not tell me what I need to know if a certain reviewer only tells us what a speakers sounds like thru big VTL mono-blocks.
Hello

I was just saying that RG used multiple amps for a on a single speaker review of the Wilson Maxx2. Is it unreasonable for a reviewer to try multiple speakers on a an amp review? Especially if the combo wasnt working out. I am not suggesting filing through every speaker he had, but i am sure he couldve moved on from the Wilson maxx to something else and still remained unbiased.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:55 PM

7B SST Advice Please

Hi everyone, I am new to forums and this is my first post here.

We have just received a new set of 7B SST-Squared (Xmas present) and hoping to get some advice. We received a set of used equipment (Audio Research) from my audiophile brother over the past few months and this latest was a complete surprise. We know nothing about Bryston (sorry!) so it is a total surprise on top of more surprises.

1. What is the approximate break-in time for these amplifiers?

2. We have a fully differential line stage that specifies 2V RMS output into 200K ohms balanced (XLR) load and maximum of 40V RMS. Which 7B SST input voltage selector is the better match?

3. What are the normal initial acoustical characteristics of a pair of factory-new 7B SST-squared?

What we are hearing now (initial 4 hours) are as follow:
1. Clearly better resolution at the high level separating out more information in our music.

2. Less coherent in presentation. Instruments are separated and revealed but they are disjoint, not quite forming a coherent musical picture on "stage". The center is larger and loud while the sides sound rolled off and soft. Placement is fuzzy sometimes, nicely layered other times.

3. There are some instruments (brass, drums, strings) that come across with full glory of all its beautiful shades but other instruments (cymbals, high pitch percussive) sort of start and then vanish? Very strange.

4. Not yet fully clear at the lowest detail. We can hear more into the music but each instrument is not clear enough yet to sound real. For example, our previous amplifier presents violin as a violin with little listening "effort" on our part. The new 7B presents the violin but we cannot quite hear all of the violin's sonic signature so we strain to hear it but cannot quite get it all.

Are all these normal and to be expected first out of the box? Does anyone know how long the burn-in will take until the sound begins to mature?

Thank you very much for any advice and experience you care to share!
Anna

ps.
Thank you jdandy and Vintage Pete for the welcome!

Last edited by NewBrystonUser; 12-27-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added Thank You and more info.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

NewBrystonUser.......What a wonderful gift. Wow.

I am not as experienced with Bryston as with other gear, but someone will be along quick enough to help answer your questions.

Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Remembering Dan

NewBrystonUser....Wow...Santa Claus has sure been good to you!!

As Dan said, we'll have to wait for the Bryston "Gurus" to chime in...as I'm sure they will. You'll find a lot of enthusiasm for Bryson here, and rightly so.

Welcome to the forum!!

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop