AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 PM

I wound up buying a Rega P6 turntable with the Aria moving coil cartridge.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
eARC was in fact invented to allow the television to output all the uncompressed codecs to sound bars and AV receivers. The original questioner asked how people watch Netflix with the SP3 and my answer was I use optical. I use the optical input on the SP3 from my Sony 65A9G. I don't use Netflix for critical sound and movie watching due to compression. I'd buy the blu-ray or 4kUHD blu-ray. The fact that the SP3 does not accommodate eARC does not diminish its sonic prowess. You don't buy an SP3 chasing codecs and features. You buy the SP3 for pure unadulterated sound. I just added a Bryston phono pre-amp and power supply to my SP3, the BP-2 and the PS3. I played some LPs from a cheap Techniques turntable and it got my interest until the motor died. Now I'm waiting on a new Rega P6 with a moving coil cartridge. I don't care about eARC as I lean more towards high fidelity. My turntable will be completely manual not semi-automatic or automatic because I want to get the maximum sound from my Bryston combo. If one needs eARC, they need to buy one of those products listed that has that feature as that is your priority. Don't blast the SP3 for not having that feature, but rather blast the SP3 if its sound is not better than the products you listed with eARC.
I can’t say I agree with all your comments. Apart from great sound the unit needs to be practical and keep up with certain technology otherwise It starts to become a compromise. I watch tv through the sp3 all the time, Netflix, Disney and Amazon prime are what’s primarily playing I even play the tidal app through the tv because I like to watch music videos. These apps transmit the latest sound formats and for that to play on the sp3 you need arc or eArc support through hdmi. Tv’s also support h265 codecs, HDR-10, Dolby vision and I didn’t buy sp3 just for 2 channel audio but as a home theatre. I’ve already paid for the 4K hdmi upgrade and I would pay again for the next upgrade if they release eArc hdmi support.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I wound up buying a Rega P6 turntable with the Aria moving coil cartridge.
I also love listening to music on vinyl. When I really want to spend time listening to music I always put on a record. I have the clearaudio performance dc with tracer tonearm and talisman v2 gold mc. I use audio research ref. 2SE which is a valve preamplifier connected to the sp3 and to a set of 7b3’s. it’s heaven.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I can’t say I agree with all your comments. Apart from great sound the unit needs to be practical and keep up with certain technology otherwise It starts to become a compromise. I watch tv through the sp3 all the time, Netflix, Disney and Amazon prime are what’s primarily playing I even play the tidal app through the tv because I like to watch music videos. These apps transmit the latest sound formats and for that to play on the sp3 you need arc or eArc support through hdmi. Tv’s also support h265 codecs, HDR-10, Dolby vision and I didn’t buy sp3 just for 2 channel audio but as a home theatre. I’ve already paid for the 4K hdmi upgrade and I would pay again for the next upgrade if they release eArc hdmi support.
I feel you. But, you can circumvent some of these issues using a Sony 4k player with two HDMI outputs which is what I do.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
... the unit needs to be practical and keep up with certain technology otherwise It starts to become a compromise.
I agree. Although my TV room is not set up for multi-channel, I do use eARC from my Sony TV to my McIntosh C53 every day. Like it or not, the future is going to be streaming, and the streaming source is a crucial part of the setup. Having the streaming setup doesn't negate the quest for quality. I too have a turntable in the setup, and I tend to the care and feeding of vinyl often.

Last edited by thughes; 04-15-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: cleanup the quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:51 AM

I think bryston have a new hdmi board that supports the latest formats including e-ARC. it also appears in their latest firmware update with board
http://www.mds.com/products/hdmivideo/hsr-82/

http://support.bryston.com/downloads...e/RelNotes.htm

I have written to mike requesting details. I wonder if bryston can just send us the board to install ourselves.

Last edited by Masterlu; 04-15-2021 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Links to other Forums are not permitted.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think bryston have a new hdmi board that supports the latest formats including e-ARC. it also appears in their latest firmware update with board
http://www.mds.com/products/hdmivideo/hsr-82/

http://support.bryston.com/downloads...e/RelNotes.htm

I have written to mike requesting details. I wonder if bryston can just send us the board to install ourselves.
I still doubt the SP3 can play eARC, but I hope I'm wrong. If it can, then its time for me to get the upgrade. I hope someone from Bryston will confirm.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I still doubt the SP3 can play eARC, but I hope I'm wrong. If it can, then its time for me to get the upgrade. I hope someone from Bryston will confirm.
I heard back from Bryston (Mike) The latest board supports eARC from a hardware standpoint, but this has not been implemented in either the HDMI board's firmware, or the SP3's software.
They may support this in the future but no confirmation or timelines are given.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I heard back from Bryston (Mike) The latest board supports eARC from a hardware standpoint, but this has not been implemented in either the HDMI board's firmware, or the SP3's software.
They may support this in the future but no confirmation or timelines are given.
And this is when I will upgrade. This is huge news.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
And this is when I will upgrade. This is huge news.
Me too, you might what to drop Mike an email. I don’t think he believes there is enough interest for them to do this. If enough people show interest then perhaps it will happen. Mpickett@bryston.com

Everyone streams from the TV now, whereas before we would use a set top box or DVD player sending a video and audio signal via the AV, now it’s kind of reversed. We don’t need video, want uncompressed audio coming from the tv to our AV receiver.