AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-09-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bob, I'm glad you are pleased. The Yvettes have received some of the most positive reviews of any Wilson speaker. I have always felt they performed significantly above their price. I hope Wilson leaves the Yvette alone. It's a classic.

Best

Charles
Thanks for the kind words, Charles. It is my understanding the the Yvette is outsold on both pricing flanks by SabrinaX and the DAW, so we shall see what happens. In the mean time I derive great enjoyment from my Yvettes and they fit my room and circumstances to a T. And, they are paid for.

Happy listening!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ___________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; McIntosh MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: McIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: McIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 09-28-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Delete incorrect comment.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Charles. It is my understanding the the Yvette is outsold on both pricing flanks by SabrinaX and the DAW, so we shall see what happens. One could purchase SebrinaX with the new LoKe sub for about the same investment as Yvette + AD. In the mean time I derive great enjoyment from my Yvettes and they fit my room and circumstances to a T. And, they are paid for.

Happy listening!

Bob
__________________________________________________ ___________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Bob - happy for you and your Yvettes. I haven't heard them yet. What color did you choose and can you tell me how far they are positioned from the front and side walls? thanks!
Old 04-24-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post
Bob - happy for you and your Yvettes. I haven't heard them yet. What color did you choose and can you tell me how far they are positioned from the front and side walls? thanks!
My Yvettes were installed and positioned by my dealer (Paragon Sight and Sound) using Wilson's WASP protocol. Their final positioning after a bit of minor fine tuning on my part is 2 ft. from the back wall, 2.5 ft. from the right side wall, 8 ft. from the left side wall and 7 ft. apart. At the time (Oct. , 2016), my dealer included an optional upgrade color choice (Ipanema Brown) as part of a good deal that included Transparent speaker cables. Ipanema Brown goes perfectly with my earth tone décor. With the AD enhancement, I believe that the Yvettes are in a sweet spot in the Wilson line and they have served me superbly for over 5 years. There is better out there, but at a steeper cost.

Hopes this helps.

Bob
__________________________________________________ _____
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
My Yvettes were installed and positioned by my dealer (Paragon Sight and Sound) using Wilson's WASP protocol. Their final positioning after a bit of minor fine tuning on my part is 2 ft. from the back wall, 2.5 ft. from the right side wall, 8 ft. from the left side wall and 7 ft. apart. At the time (Oct. , 2016), my dealer included an optional upgrade color choice (Ipanema Brown) as part of a good deal that included Transparent speaker cables. Ipanema Brown goes perfectly with my earth tone décor. With the AD enhancement, I believe that the Yvettes are in a sweet spot in the Wilson line and they have served me superbly for over 5 years. There is better out there, but at a steeper cost.

Hopes this helps.

Bob
__________________________________________________ _____
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Thanks. Very interesting. Please advise on your room--just for example, could you have gone 4' from the front wall?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Thanks. Very interesting. Please advise on your room--just for example, could you have gone 4' from the front wall?
Using the WASP protocol for positioning, 2 ft. out from the back wall is optimum relative to my listening spot. In theory, one could place the speakers 4 ft. out but it would look strange and is unnecessary.

Bob
__________________________________________________ _______
Old 04-25-2022, 11:13 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Using the WASP protocol for positioning, 2 ft. out from the back wall is optimum relative to my listening spot. In theory, one could place the speakers 4 ft. out but it would look strange and is unnecessary.

Bob
__________________________________________________ _______
Forget the silly audiophile look. Four ft is likely out of the Zone of Neutrality in your room. Leave that zone at your peril.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
All good questions.

The new diodes will not be available until we can satisfy demand from the launch of Alexx V and until after we contact WAMM and XVX owners. This means it coul be a few months before we can supply them to all Wilson owners.

Retail price is $3200 for set of eight.

They measure better than any footer we have had in the factory for analysis - and we own just about all of them. That said, I have heard them only on Alexx V and not in comparison to other aftermarket options.
To me, this is just another demonstration of how Wilson Audio takes care of their speaker owners, as well as advancing its speakers' performance capabilities. When I view the totality of what you realize when you "go Wilson", the value proposition is unsurpassed in the industry. As I've written in another post I will be joining the Wilson family soon --- waiting to work out speaker selection with my dealer (either SabrinaX (sure "slam dunk" pick, Sasha DAW, or Alexia). Can't wait (I'm getting tired of re-reading reviews )!
Old 05-07-2022, 08:13 AM

Default AD and SabrinaX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
All good questions.

The new diodes will not be available until we can satisfy demand from the launch of Alexx V and until after we contact WAMM and XVX owners. This means it coul be a few months before we can supply them to all Wilson owners.

Retail price is $3200 for set of eight.

They measure better than any footer we have had in the factory for analysis - and we own just about all of them. That said, I have heard them only on Alexx V and not in comparison to other aftermarket options.
Will using the ADs with the SabrinaX speakers have the same degree of benefit that has been reported with other Wilson models? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:16 PM

Some observations about my addition of the acoustic diodes to my DAWs. Installed by my dealer Audio Advisors (West Palm Beach). Changing out the standard spikes for the ADs is straightforward but time consuming and requires some care to protect the speaker. As others have noted AB testing is an unlikely proposition. Speakers stand directly on ceramic tile flooring which itself is directly adhered to the concrete slab foundation. I have been listening to the DAWs since 2/20. There are several observations I have made attributable to the AD installation that after careful listening to recordings I have heard over 40 years I feel confident are not due to cognitive dissonance or audio placebo effect. Most noticeable is that massed orchestral sections and crescendo in particular are better resolved giving a much greater sense of realism—-discrete instrumental sections are playing rather than a fusion of sound. I found this observation reproducible on several recordings, LP and CD, and to be highly satisfying. A related observation is greater (than the already excellent) stability of the orchestral soundstage with a better sense of the instruments in spatial relation to the others. Some recordings have more of this information than others. On a few recordings transient speed at least seemed greater. This and my initial perception that low level detail was improved were harder for me to remain confident in over time. Finally what I had anticipated would improve and clearly did was bass and midbass clarity and taughtness. Overall I would consider the Acoustic Diode an unqualified improvement for the DAWs. Several relatively small details in sound reproduction contribute to a much more satisfying result in an already excellent speaker. While not inexpensive, the ADs are of superb quality and constitute at MSRP less than 10% the MSRP of the DAW. If the ADs are not standard on new production DAWs I would strongly suggest they be purchased alongside the speaker for initial installation simplicity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9689161A-34D0-4187-8AE3-4AB969401BDC.jpeg (1.66 MB, 26 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.