AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 03-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

According to Analogphonic (marketer(?) of the above B/M series) Symphonies 7,8,9 und Des Knaben Wunderhorn will be released sometime April to May 2016.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Here are Mahler Symphonies 1 - 6 from the 1980s with Leonard Bernstein conducting three different orchestras. This is his second cycle that carryied through, I believe, the Seventh Symphony. All feature cover art from Romain de Tirtoff (known as Erté.) All are on 33-1/3 vinyl. Afair, all are live recordings...

....The sonics on these two Lps make the Fischer SACD seem almost tame, which is quite something. Perspective is close up though not quite on the podium. There is an incredible amount of performance technique to be had here and it opens up the interior life of the orchestra like few others I've heard. As a live recording there is near zero audience noise but a sense of 'live air' and the musicians really being 'on' for LB.
Thanks for this thread, Tim.

The LB #2 must be an amazing sonic experience because the Fischer sonics can hardly be better!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Thanks for this thread, Tim.

The LB #2 must be an amazing sonic experience because the Fischer sonics can hardly be better!
Hi Carlos - nice to hear from you. The Channel Classics' Ivan Fischer 2nd certainly is the best digital version overall I've heard. I consider it a reference piece, most particularly in recording quality while F's interpretation is compelling. Walter's interpretation is likewise excellent though it cannot match in sound quality - at least that I've heard.

One obvious difference is the Bernstein 2nd was a live recording and its performance offers that sense of tension and excitement that overtakes musicians when they perform before a live audience, knowing they are being recorded. Fischer's controlled perfectionism is different from Bernstein's flair for showmanship and heart-on-sleeve directorial.

And, to be honest, while my multi-format Ayre C5xe-MP disc player has a certain analog character to it, the machine is not in the same class with my analog rig. I don't think that changes my overall sense of these recordings but its the reality in my room.

On the LP, the dynamic authority and sheer realism of the opening bowed basses are startling; timpani whacks are massive, and there is a lot of information from the orchestra's interior instruments. On the downside, there can be a wee bit of forwardness from the upper octave brass. And, it's not a typical audience experience of being 25 rows back or in the mezzanine - it is very dynamic, very up close, very 'you are there', whereas the CC/Fischer comes with the more 'nominal' perspective of a studio recording.

Mahler is such a unique composer, his symphonies are wondrous, sometimes strange journeys within his worlds, yet always with delight and amazement. I'm happy we have these different interpretations.

Two days ago I heard our local symphony perform Mahler's 4th. Sleigh bells. It struck me as very Viennese, at times like riding through a simpler time on a mag-lev train, windows all around, moving through nature's astonishing and kaleidoscopic scenery. Like the comforting steady sound of wheels on track the violas, cellos and basses are the fundaments of the journey, supporting all that rides atop, their dynamics laying down texture and forward movement. At one point the first clarinetist played her instrument by pointing it up in the air, as a clarion. Amid tenderness a spooky violin solo arose from nowhere. And there at the end, a beautiful woman singing. No bombastic climax, no fist shaking at the heavens. Around the bend we go and are gone. The lights come up and we in the audience sit blinking at one another. What music. It's amazing we can enjoin a semblance in our homes.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Hi Carlos - nice to hear from you. The Channel Classics' Ivan Fischer 2nd certainly is the best digital version overall I've heard. I consider it a reference piece, most particularly in recording quality while F's interpretation is compelling. Walter's interpretation is likewise excellent though it cannot match in sound quality - at least that I've heard.

One obvious difference is the Bernstein 2nd was a live recording and its performance offers that sense of tension and excitement that overtakes musicians when they perform before a live audience, knowing they are being recorded. Fischer's controlled perfectionism is different from Bernstein's flair for showmanship and heart-on-sleeve directorial.

And, to be honest, while my multi-format Ayre C5xe-MP disc player has a certain analog character to it, the machine is not in the same class with my analog rig. I don't think that changes my overall sense of these recordings but its the reality in my room.

On the LP, the dynamic authority and sheer realism of the opening bowed basses are startling; timpani whacks are massive, and there is a lot of information from the orchestra's interior instruments. On the downside, there can be a wee bit of forwardness from the upper octave brass. And, it's not a typical audience experience of being 25 rows back or in the mezzanine - it is very dynamic, very up close, very 'you are there', whereas the CC/Fischer comes with the more 'nominal' perspective of a studio recording.

Mahler is such a unique composer, his symphonies are wondrous, sometimes strange journeys within his worlds, yet always with delight and amazement. I'm happy we have these different interpretations.

Two days ago I heard our local symphony perform Mahler's 4th. Sleigh bells. It struck me as very Viennese, at times like riding through a simpler time on a mag-lev train, windows all around, moving through nature's astonishing and kaleidoscopic scenery. Like the comforting steady sound of wheels on track the violas, cellos and basses are the fundaments of the journey, supporting all that rides atop, their dynamics laying down texture and forward movement. At one point the first clarinetist played her instrument by pointing it up in the air, as a clarion. Amid tenderness a spooky violin solo arose from nowhere. And there at the end, a beautiful woman singing. No bombastic climax, no fist shaking at the heavens. Around the bend we go and are gone. The lights come up and we in the audience sit blinking at one another. What music. It's amazing we can enjoin a semblance in our homes.
Tim, I'm enjoying your posts here.
Not only music wise, also because they read so pleasurably...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 PM

Wow, Tim. What an amazing description of Mahler's 4th. Thanks for sharing your love of this music with us.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Recently released LP; not sure its through the distribution channels yet, but soon if not now.

Last edited by tima; 11-14-2020 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Bernstein on Mahler: His Time Has Come

With our near term focus on Bernstein, you might like to read what the Maestro had say about Mahler on his own Web site: Mahler: His Time Has Come.
An interesting read about a composer on the cusp of the twentieth century.

8-13-19 Edit: the link no longer works because the Web site changed. Link Life on the Web is Short. Article available below as a PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mahler - His Time Has Come by Leonard Bernstein.pdf (90.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by tima; 08-13-2019 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Mahler's Resurrection Symphony on LP
Coming May 27, 2016

Zubin Mehta conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
soloists Ileana Cotrubas and Christa Ludwig

Last edited by tima; 01-08-2018 at 01:25 AM. Reason: fixed picture
Old 05-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Music Lover!

At one time I had all his symphonies. This is the only one I have left now.

Gustav Mahler Symphony No. 5 & Adagio Sym. 10 - The Los Angeles Phil. - Zubin Mehta (1977 Pressing) London Records, Inc./Decca Records EX
Old 05-27-2016, 12:22 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
At one time I had all his symphonies. This is the only one I have left now.

Gustav Mahler Symphony No. 5 & Adagio Sym. 10 - The Los Angeles Phil. - Zubin Mehta (1977 Pressing) London Records, Inc./Decca Records EX
Mehta deserves more recognition, doncha think?