AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-21-2022, 02:23 AM

Default My C2700 came yesterday..Do I need a standalone streamer....Also new CDP question

Hey,

After much agonizing of the 2700 abd 2600 with an outboard DAC, I ended up with the 2700. It's flipping wonderful so far. Which leads to these next two questions.

I am new to streaming, so my Macbook Pro runs right into the 2700 to play my ripped files and using services like Tidal. My first question.....do (or should) I look at getting the money tig an external streamer like Bluesoud Node or just go with what I have./ There were a few Tidal Masters tracks that sounded "meh"....so I also hooked the 2700 to my laptop via a Meridian Explorer 2. Macbook -> Meridian ->2700 analog inputs from a special cable blde I had made years ago by Signal Sound. It's a stereo jack on the Meridia edn and XLR on 2700 en

2. I currently have a MCD301 and Oppo 203 that I use for CD, SACD, etc. The Oppo is going nowhere due to PQ but I was wondering if the MCD301 is gettig long in the tooth. What would I have to spend to get a significant ficnt improvement over the 301 and what models are they?
Old 05-21-2022, 09:36 AM

I noticed an improvement in sound quality when I switched from a MacMini to Innuos product external streamer. I would recommend working with your dealer and trying one out at home.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:31 AM

Ever43, glad you are enjoying the C2700. I too believe it's a wonderful pre. Like you I'm using my Oppo 205 when I want to spin cds but mostly streaming using Roon/Tidal. I do it two ways. When my wife and I just want background (whole house) music the Vault 2i is used along with other Bluesound products. When I want better SQ through my 2 channel I stream using my Sonore opticalRendu. What stands out the most is the drop in the noise floor allowing all the detail to be heard. There are many here more knowledgeable than me but I've learned computers are noisy devices, isolating the noise from your music is crucial.

Also, if I understand your current setup correctly you are not using the DA2's DAC which I believe has to be better than the computer's built in dac. I could be wrong.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 05-21-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:43 PM

I think you'll find the Bluesound Node is not in the same league as your C2700. You'll be well served if you go upmarket.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:24 PM

Obviously this won't help with SACDs, but I would just use a digital out from the MCD301 into your DAC (be it the 2700's or external). IMO there wouldn't be much sense in buying something else that'll just spin a disc and output the contents via digital.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:26 AM

Ever43, huge congrats on your amazing 2700!

Best

Charles
Old 05-23-2022, 10:02 AM

Hello Ever43 -
A simple and inexpensive way to turn the 2700 into a full streamer is to put a 'network bridge' in front. (I use the SotM).
An important point is that these devices interface to whatever playback/streaming software you use, Roon, JRiver, iTunes, Spotify, Tidal, etc.
One advantage is that is it easier to switch software packages rather than be tied to specific manufacturer's software.

Many options.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 05-24-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:46 PM

I like this discussion because I am confused on some of this stuff. I don't think I comprehend what Room does vs what tidal does. I assume tidal is like Spotify? And is roon more for an existing library that you already own? I'm in the same boat here where I would like to stream better than my current setup of a modded Sonos bridge that I use the Sonos app to stream through my c2500.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:29 PM

Congrats on the C2700! Now how about a vinyl rig to go with that bad boy.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 06-05-2022, 01:19 AM

Congrats on the C2700. I have one too and love it.

I have a couple different ways to stream.

1) Roon Nucleus -> USB ->C2700 DA2
2) Roon Nucleus -> Bricasti M3 Ethernet ->balanced -> C2700 balanced
3) Naim ND5 XS2 ->SPDIF -> Bricasti M3 -> balanced -> C2700 balanced

There are more combinations possible but will leave it at that.

They all sound great. Let me just say that the DA2 DAC is very good. For obvious reasons there aren’t reviews I know of of the DA2. I would have no issues recommending it. I spent considerable time comparing all this with both amp+Speakers and focal stellia on the C2700.

The Bricasti DAC has a more clarity, instrument separation and clearer sound stage to me with PCM. DSD is a wash to me, but I don’t care I have little DSD. I prefer the M3 to the DA2 especially with headphones. 2) And 3) sound the same to me.

To me DAC makes a major difference. How I get the bits to the DAC, Naim vs just nucleus , makes no difference I can hear.