AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:06 PM

Bart, here is an explanation.

To understand where the ROCK fits into a system, we must first look at the Roon architecture. Roon requires three components.

1. Core / Server
2. Remote
3. End Point

All three components can be on a single computer, two computers, or even split into thee computers or audio devices. The Core is Roon's brain. This is the piece that runs on ROCK. Roon remote can be run on a computer, iOS, or Android device. The end point can be a USB DAC directly connected to any device running Roon software, or a network connected device running Roon software.

Roon architecture with ROCK in the system can also be configured a number of ways, from simple to complex. Here are a few examples.

A. ROCK running as the core with all music stored on the ROCK's internal 2.5 inch hard drive (a USB drive connected for backup), Roon Remote running on an iPad, and audio sent to a RoonReady DAC over Ethernet.

B. ROCK running as the core with all music stored on the ROCK's internal 2.5 inch hard drive (a USB drive connected for backup), Roon Remote running on an iPad, and audio sent to a directly attached USB or HDMI audio device.

C. ROCK running as the core, music stored on a NAS, Roon Remote running an iPad, and audio sent to RoonReady network devices. This is how I use ROCK and believe it's the best way, given my storage requirements.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-ac...kit-rock-r652/

Last edited by PHC1; 12-13-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:11 PM

Excellent explanation.

I'd add that Roon ROCK is a special case of Roon Core that runs on a version of Linux that in turn runs on a specific hardware implementation built by Intel and called a Nucleus (NUC).

Roon also makes a Nucleus HW product.

The end point can be any DAC connected to a device running Roon Bridge. It does not have to be USB.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 12-13-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Excellent explanation.

I'd add that Roon ROCK is a special case of Roon Core that runs on a version of Linux that in turn runs on a specific hardware implementation built by Intel and called a Nucleus (NUC).

Roon also makes a Nucleus HW product.

The end point can be any DAC connected to a device running Roon Bridge. It does not have to be USB.
Right

So the question is, is there a sonic penalty running a ROON CORE straight into a USB DAC via USB or is a ROON BRIDGE a sonically better approach?

Seems most use a streamer so as not to have a noisy computer near the gear and not using USB interface from the computer.

I have zero issue either way. My ROON CORE is on my PC and the USB feeds my desktop DAC and headphone amp. It also streams to my Bryston BDP Pi roon endpoint which in turns feeds the DAC via SPDIF.

When I feed my Luxman DAC the high resolution DSD files, it is through my Mac Book Pro via USB. The software is a proprietary Luxman player that resides on my Mac Book Pro.

It is the most impressive sound obviously and zero issues with noise or any other artifacts. Hence I do not really think it is a big deal to have a roon core feeding a USB DAC directly.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-13-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:54 PM

Digital nervosa would say you need a dedicated lightweight end point with an AES/EBU balanced 110 ohm interface with solid silver conductors connected via an isolated and de-crappified wired Ethernet service all powered by an analog power supply.

I run a tablet running Roon Bridge (or JRiver) on batteries with a isolated USB interface. Works great.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-13-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Digital nervosa would say you need a dedicated lightweight end point with an AES/EBU balanced 110 ohm interface with solid silver conductors connected via an isolated and de-crappified wired Ethernet service all powered by an analog power supply.

I run a tablet running Roon Bridge (or JRiver) on batteries with a isolated USB interface. Works great.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:20 PM

The mini is a toy compared to a U1. Big difference in sound quality.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:15 PM

I cannot recommend the Arualic G1.

Had it in my set-up to see if I liked it in my system.

Whilst the sound is fantastic the software to run the damn thing is poor.

I tried for 3 hours to connect via wireless & it refused to find my music server. I use a high powered very expensive Router that works perfectly with the Logitech Transporter, so it’s not my equipment.

Called by Software Engineer (he charges an arm & a leg- fortunately, all he charged me was a bottle of wine) He had a go- same issue- he has a low opinion of the systems architecture- given the price of the unit.

So we gave up & moved my music library to a hard drive (I have 2.75TB of music- all AIFF) & connected it via USB to the G1. I use an iPad Pro.

That worked

BUT:

The real issue is the Lightning DS (LDS)- it’s hopeless.

- The interface crashes continuously - for no reason.
- The LDS loses the device constantly
- The search functions only work some of the time- sometimes cannot find the song or the artist. It does however, find songs that don’t match your search entry which is NOT useful!
- The damn thing won't bring across the artwork for half my albums
- The playlist function is hopeless. Touch anything whilst playing it & it will audibly glitch the system.
- Trying to add songs to a Playlist is a mission due to the search function not working properly- and if you add more than a few songs at any given time- the software crashes.
- Finally got a playlist together- but I guess it's just a suggestion because the system added tracks at random.
- The software ‘refreshes’ data randomly & regularly, which audibly glitch's the system.

... If I see the message 'Oops! something is Wrong...' from this damn machine 1 more time I'll scream!

Did some research on LDS and I find the consensus from users is that It's full of Bugs..

The software product is obviously very immature and looking at the negative reviews (there are lots) it still needs a lot of work to make it function properly.

It's too clunky. It's too slow. Its Full of bugs & glitches. It’s Not intuitive. It Crashes all the time. User Functionality is not friendly.

Makes by Logitech Transport look awesome!

Why bring a great sounding Streamer into the market when the software to run it is not developed properly?
Old 12-13-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
I cannot recommend the Arualic G1.

Had it in my set-up to see if I liked it in my system.

Whilst the sound is fantastic the software to run the damn thing is poor.

I tried for 3 hours to connect via wireless & it refused to find my music server. I use a high powered very expensive Router that works perfectly with the Logitech Transporter, so it’s not my equipment.

Called by Software Engineer (he charges an arm & a leg- fortunately, all he charged me was a bottle of wine) He had a go- same issue- he has a low opinion of the systems architecture- given the price of the unit.

So we gave up & moved my music library to a hard drive (I have 2.75TB of music- all AIFF) & connected it via USB to the G1. I use an iPad Pro.

That worked

BUT:

The real issue is the Lightning DS (LDS)- it’s hopeless.

- The interface crashes continuously - for no reason.
- The LDS loses the device constantly
- The search functions only work some of the time- sometimes cannot find the song or the artist. It does however, find songs that don’t match your search entry which is NOT useful!
- The damn thing won't bring across the artwork for half my albums
- The playlist function is hopeless. Touch anything whilst playing it & it will audibly glitch the system.
- Trying to add songs to a Playlist is a mission due to the search function not working properly- and if you add more than a few songs at any given time- the software crashes.
- Finally got a playlist together- but I guess it's just a suggestion because the system added tracks at random.
- The software ‘refreshes’ data randomly & regularly, which audibly glitch's the system.

... If I see the message 'Oops! something is Wrong...' from this damn machine 1 more time I'll scream!

Did some research on LDS and I find the consensus from users is that It's full of Bugs..

The software product is obviously very immature and looking at the negative reviews (there are lots) it still needs a lot of work to make it function properly.

It's too clunky. It's too slow. Its Full of bugs & glitches. It’s Not intuitive. It Crashes all the time. User Functionality is not friendly.

Makes by Logitech Transport look awesome!

Why bring a great sounding Streamer into the market when the software to run it is not developed properly?
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the Auralic. Hopefully the engineers will address the issues. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:51 PM

I've used Lightning DS for going on six years with three different Auralic streamers and never had a minutes trouble with it either wired or wireless so that's the other side of the coin plus you can find "internet research" to agree with any point of view you have if you look long enough.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:36 AM
Member of the Music Squad

I would tend to agree on the Auralic issues, I have experienced a couple on the older series:

- the wifi cards on Auralic units tend to malfunction after a while, the unit goes offline and you have to reboot it so it can reconnect to your network, to a point where it doesn't reconnect at all anymore so you are forced to wire the unit to the router or extender.
- the Lighting DS interface is pretty unstable, it often crashes/freezes, especially when bringing the interface back as the front app after having used other iOS apps.

I have heard and read similar experiences from other Auralic owners.

I believe Aurender's Conductor interface is much more stable, but then Aurender is not Roon compatible.

Hence my shortlist came down to Innuos and Lumin when I was shopping for a new streamer.

I eventually chose the Innuos because I also valued the built-in ripper. And because it offers the Squeezelite plug-in that makes Roon sound so much better...
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser