AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM

Hey Paul. I just saw your thread and wanted to congratulate you on your IB2is! I have the IB2S (studio) version of your speaker and can provide the following info:

1. The mid range will make you buy better equipment. It really has amazing texture.
2. Positioning matters... They can afford to be off the wall a bit and proper toe in and adjustment produces great rewards. The guys at PMC love the speaker. They call it the best speaker they make that one person can lift. I would add the word "barely" in between "can" and "lift".
3. If you have carpet, put your speakers on the floor while positioning. Sit on the floor while tweaking... It is worth the effort. When you hit the magic spot, outline the position with tape. Trying to position them on the stands may just drive you nuts.
4. I've heard the IB2S with (1) 275, (2) 275s and (2) 2301s and can concur with you and Dan both that PMCs love power but are also very forgiving. (2) 275s will be great and will give you impressive bass.
5. I've never experienced bloom with the woofers. The bass is so controlled and tight -- even with tubes -- that I still question my decision to buy subs. Low wattage amp could be a culprit but try positioning again would be my suggestions.
6. Break in... man, I don't remember having one so I'll defer to dan's response on that.

What a fun speaker you bought. And it is so well rounded. Oh, and the guys at PMC told me that in a properly pressurized room that they will dip into 19hz... However I expect the drop off is pretty steep. I never tested it but remember reading that Dan tested his EB1s and that they dropped off pretty quickly at 24hz even though they rate down to 19hz. Either way, you won't miss it and even if you do, they PMCs seem to integrate with a variety of subs, even with that transmission line. No need for an active crossover. Final note, since you have (2) 275s, you can bi-amp. I really liked the result when I tried it... But you'll need two sets of speaker wire. Let me know if you have any questions... And enjoy! -JB
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemcintosh View Post
I'm using the 4 ohms in mono. I will try the 8 ohms tonight and hoping to get a better result. Thanks
I had better bass with 8ohm taps...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaudio68 View Post

I had better bass with 8ohm taps...
Me too !
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Ok. Thank to both of you to chime in. Really appreciated. I got home and changed to 8 ohms and found that you guys are correct somehow the 8 ohms works better than 4. Another thing was I was little too far away from the back wall. Now it's positioned as 4 ft from back and about 8fts apart left to right speakers. How did you guys find the distance on each speaker ? Also actually this is first time for me to put 2 ch on my basement so I probably need some work on room treatment as well ; Jerome throw me some cushions would you ?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Me too !
Where do you think I got the idea??? thanks Jerome!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Ok. Thank to both of you to chime in. Really appreciated. I got home and changed to 8 ohms and found that you guys are correct somehow the 8 ohms works better than 4. Another thing was I was little too far away from the back wall. Now it's positioned as 4 ft from back and about 8fts apart left to right speakers. How did you guys find the distance on each speaker ? Also actually this is first time for me to put 2 ch on my basement so I probably need some work on room treatment as well ; Jerome throw me some cushions would you ?
I read somewhere (or Dan May have had a chart) that showed the ib2s averaging somewhere around 6 ohms. Mc refused to give me 6 ohm taps so I went to 8
Old 11-28-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Jerome throw me some cushions would you ?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Where do you think I got the idea??? thanks Jerome!
I did not know I had so much influence...
My pleasure !
Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
I did not know I had so much influence... My pleasure !
I remember most things I read --and who said them-- on this forum. It causes a significant number of calls to manufacturers... and could be considered a sickness. And yet there is so much to learn!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
I remember most things I read --and who said them-- on this forum. It causes a significant number of calls to manufacturers... and could be considered a sickness. And yet there is so much to learn!
Jeremy.......I would suggest you begin with two bass traps placed in the corners behind the IB2i's and a few 2' x 4' acoustic panels, maybe two on the wall behind the speakers and one on each side wall at the point of first reflection to your listening position. This small addition to controlling reflected sound and standing waves in the corner will go a long ways in tempering the bass bloat that is a function of the room, not your speakers. Check out ATSacoustics.com for reasonably priced acoustic panels and bass traps, as well as GIKacoustics.com who is an AA sponsor and has many happy customers on this forum.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A