AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 11-15-2020, 03:04 PM

Here is Paul McGowan on Audiophile vs Studio speakers...

https://youtu.be/JcbHJg5aFgQ
Old 11-15-2020, 03:07 PM

Steve Guttenberg discussing studio speaker accuracy vs audiophile speakers with a sound engineer Alex Stirling.

"Accuracy is a very subjective term"

https://youtu.be/vKcX2LvB30o

Last edited by PHC1; 11-15-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:32 AM

Colleagues,

Jack Renner the recording engineer on most Telarc gave an interesting interview in I think it was Positive Feedback
When the were first starting the company, several listening sessions were done comparing analog tape, to Dr. Thomas Stockhams Digital machine. To their astonishment, they preferred the analog tape. Then going back and comparing the recordings with a live performance, found that the digital recordings sounded like the live performance whereas the analog machines did something to it. Consequently , Telarc recordings were all digital,with minimal if any "processing" direct to the recorders and mostly in 3 channel.
For our discussion here, Telarc used mostly B&W 801F's and ADS 1590's for monitoring.
Telarc, recordings were pretty much transferred directly to cd ( they were not happy with the format). I have a few Telarc multi channel SACD's and there is quite a difference. Maybe it's the center channel.

Last edited by Petronius; 11-21-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-21-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Steve Guttenberg discussing studio speaker accuracy vs audiophile speakers with a sound engineer Alex Stirling.
"Accuracy is a very subjective term"
Surely that is something that requires a lot of context in order for it to have any accuracy, itself.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Indeed
Old 11-21-2020, 09:21 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
George, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
My wife and I attend 15-20 classical concerts a year (middle of the 4th-5th row are our seats), and some 10-15 jazz concerts.
Small ensemble music can be reproduced quite faithfully on a good system, like we enjoy at home (5.0).
But a large symphonic orchestra, sorry but no way.
Not even on an MBL reference system (in my personal top 3 of the systems I've heard).
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, although I don’t think it is based on experiencing my system. While I have a pretty good set of components which are very synergistic the overwhelming component that contributes to its success with classical music is the room. While I can’t claim great credit in crafting it, it is the best listening area I have heard. I purchased the house without tremendous thought to the audio area. It just turned out perfectly. It is large, 28’ by 35’ but it is a Z shape. It is asymmetrical on all sides. Behind the back and side walls on three sides is concrete and are underground, giving the backdrop dead silence... quieter than the concert hall. All the asymmetry seems to really help. My speakers are over six feet back from the wall an make a 9’ triangle. I have added some tube traps and large Afghans to the remaining bare space. It is not all about power and money. I stumbled into owning this space and am very thankful for it. I will not be moving because of it. So for classical, it very very closely reproduces the symphony hall, any differences are not remotely material.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:45 AM
Life is beautiful

George, enjoy your system!
We will do too.
It's the only thing we have at the moment.

But I do long to attend live concerts in our Concertgebouw Brugge again.
Conductors and musicians also love it there, because the acoustics are so good.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-23-2020, 04:37 PM

Regarding the Alex Sterling interview, Mr. Sterling speaks of tweeking his mix at various levels using different speakers and standing in different rooms
However,I believe here he is talking about non-classical music. If one is listening to Beethoven at anything less than concert hall sound levels, it is incorrect. The late John Eargle, who engineered the Seattle Symphony recordings on Delos, stated to me once that all classical recordings had to to be listened to at concert levels during mix down (We are talking 3 to 5 channels down to 2 channel ) were going to yield less than optimal results, and all mixes should be done with high quality playback systems in mind.
This was some time ago when he was with Altec, so I may have some details wrong.
Regarding the Paul McGowan piece; he finds B&W speakers sterile? And here I thought that a speaker should be astoundingly neutral. That the idea of listening to a recording is to hear the recording.

Last edited by Petronius; 11-24-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Regarding the Alex Sterling interview, Mr. Sterling speaks of tweeking his mix at various levels using different speakers and standing in different rooms
However,I believe here he is talking about non-classical music. If one is listening to Beethoven at anything less than concert hall sound levels, it is incorrect. The late John Eargle, who engineered the Seattle Symphony recordings on Delos, stated to me once that all classical recordings had to to be listened to at concert levels during mix down (We are talking 3 to 5 channels down to 2 channel ) were going to yield less than optimal results, and all mixes should be done with high quality playback systems in mind.
This was some time ago when he was with Altec, so I may have some details wrong.
Regarding the Paul McGowin piece; he finds B&W speakers sterile? And here I thought that a speaker should be astoundingly neutral. That the idea of listening to a recording is to hear the recording.

I agree entirely.
The more neutral, the closer you get to the live performance.
Neutral is natural, and is not sterile (except when the natural is sterile of course ).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
Regarding the Paul McGowin piece; he finds B&W speakers sterile?
Having owned several B&Ws over the years, I would certainly not call them sterile.
Quote:
And here I thought that a speaker should be astoundingly neutral. That the idea of listening to a recording is to hear the recording.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I agree entirely.
The more neutral, the closer you get to the live performance.
Neutral is natural, and is not sterile (except when the natural is sterile of course ).
Amen.