AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 04-27-2022, 08:21 PM

Default SA 200.2 ES solid state power amp

Hey guys,

I bought a slightlly used SA 200.2 ES power amp. it was manufactured in 2019 and this is a newer ES current model, not the original non ES one.

When I first turned on the amp everyting was fine and was quiet. But when I used the amp to play music for an extended amount of time like some 6-7 hours at moderate volume levels I started to notice a slight buzzing / humming noise coming from the right speaker (only right channel) and pretty soon the buzzing / humming got progressively louder and eventually became extremely loud. again it's only in the right channel speaker and the left channel remains quiet.

I know for sure it isn't the preamp or the source component cause when I swapped and changed to other amp, which is a Classe Sigma Amp2 class D amp, everything was quiet. I've been using this Classe Sigma Amp2 for 5 years and never had buzzing / humming issue. So, gotta be the Cary SA 200.2 ES amp.

So, I sent it in to Cary for service / repair last week and they have received the amp on monday (2 days ago) and they have put my amp in their listening room and have been playing music non-stop since monday for 48 hours and didn't hear any buzzing at all in the right channel speaker. So, they couldn't duplicate that buzzing noise in the right channel speaker.
Very strange.

Don't think it's an induced noise or AC related noise that I was hearing on the right speaker cause it was quiet when I first turned on the SA 200.2 ES amp, and not until few to several hours of use that the loud buzzing started to appear, and it's only in one channel (right channel speaker). And when I had my other amp, which is a Classe Sigma Amp2, everyting was quiet no matter how long I've used that amp for.

Any thoughts guys? I've never experienced this bizzare experience before. And my Cary SA 200.2 ES amp was manufactured in 2019, so it is failry new amp. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:32 AM

I recently saw one of these amps for sale, and the listing included this note: "...this amp does have the low-level hum/buzz that this model is known to often have. I understand Cary Audio has a tweak that can eliminate it. There is also some discussion on audiophile boards on addressing it. Some folks are moderately bothered by it. Some aren't at all. It also seems most sellers don't think enough of the noise to even mention it." I don't know any further details, but apparently the issue you're having is not unusual with this amp.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:14 PM

How odd that Cary can't duplicate the problem. What sensitivity are your speakers vs the speakers Cary is using? High sensitivity would make the buzz far more noticable than a pair of low sensitivity speakers.

If it continues to happen once you get it back I'd take some video of it and send it to them.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 04-28-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:43 PM

"I started to notice a slight buzzing / humming noise coming from the right speaker (only right channel) and pretty soon the buzzing / humming got progressively louder and eventually became extremely loud. again it's only in the right channel speaker and the left channel remains quiet."

Sorry to hear about this.

Usually for something like this, I will try swapping the left and right channel connections to the preamp at the interconnects. If the problem stays with the right speaker then there's an interaction with the amp's right channel and speaker. If the problem switches over to the left speaker, I would troubleshoot the interconnects by trying a different pair to see if the problem doesn't go away.

Good luck!