AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2022, 06:45 AM

Default MC1502 vs 2x275VI vs MC2301

Hi guys,

I am relatively new to AA, I have never actually posted anything but cannot hide that I have been reading systematically the Mc section of the forum for interesting insights... amazing body of knowledge here!

I decided to open this new 3d to ask you guys for advice...

We are living a strange period and the pandemic makes everything more difficult, particularly driving around to visit audio shops and listen to new gears. On top of this, and I go back straight to the title, the MC1502 is relatively new and at least here in Europe not so many dealers have it on demo. Deliveries are also limited in this period.

I am about to pull the trigger for a new amp, or two . I had, since few months ago, a system formed by 2 x 275 VI, a C2500 pre-amp. My speakers are the shiny Guarneri EVO walnuts which are basically the only components left beside the digital source - a NADAC+PLAYER+POWER - and an MPC1500. The speakers are keepers for me, I love them. The room is not that big, around 400 square feet although the system is installed on a side of it with good overall results. I got a good offer and decided to sell the amps and pre-amp to refresh my system , although I was very happy with my re-tubed 275s. their mid-range was amazing!

The MC1502 is intriguing and would probably be more than enough to drive my speakers. I could re-voice it with excellent tubes (TFK 801S, EAT KT88 Diamond...) which I have already (used on my monos). Probably (much) better than the 275 monos. Any though about this?

What keeps me awake at night is that the price tag of an MC1502 would compete with a recent (2-3y old) couple of 2301s. Of course they are different animals, but also more challenging to be positioned in the room, moved around and with a much larger footprint. Cannot imagine shipping them for repairs. I would not want to go for new gears in this case, I think the new model will be launched soon, but I cannot on the other hand wait indefinitely and use just my headphones...

The 275 were fine and I did not feel the need at the time to have more power, but even when I had only one 275 it was fine, before discovering how much better it was with the second one in the rig

No doubts that the 2301 are in a different league, but my doubts are, does it make sense with my speakers/room to go for the 2301s, I mean, would that quality and power reserve difference become evident within the first let's say 25W thus offsetting the hassle of placing those big boxes in the living?

Thank you!!

Matteo

Last edited by Matteo; 01-13-2022 at 07:03 PM.