AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

[ame=http://youtu.be/F4jsr13V6ao]Record Cleaning Machines: Okki Nokki vs. VPI 16.5 - A Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Any comparison to Okki Nokki is kinda moot now. Sumiko dropped their distribution of Okki Nokki. There is no longer a U.S. distributor, so whatever stock dealers have now is going to be the last of it.

From what I heard Okki Nokki has too many problems supplying product. I was on the receiving end of that last year when I had to wait several months for some standard accessories (like a brush and replacement pads for the vacuum tube).
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Here is a picture of what the current VPI 16.5 looks like. the toggle switches are simillar to the oki noki now, the record clamp is bigger. I have no trouble closing the top with the suction wand pointed toward the middle. I did originally try to buy a oki noki but after waiting a few months gave up. So far I am happy with the VPI and the noise is not really a issue since it takes about 10 seconds to suction a record.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-12.jpg (480.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg photo-11.jpg (835.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:58 PM

I bought a 17i early in the year. I agree that a hand held brush would probably do better than the machine's brush. However, I also know I would normally pass on scrubbing if I had to break out all of the cleaning stuff. With the 17i I can clamp down the record, scrub, vac and be playing music in a very short amount of time. It is painless - so I use it a lot more often than I would another machine.

I use the three step MOFI enzyme, cleaner, rinse with three separate MOFI hand brushes for new albums or flea market albums. I also use three separate vac tubes. I keep around 4oz of the VPI concentrate/distilled water in the machine for all of the quick clean-ups before play.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM

I have been using the spin clean first to get off the surface dirt and debris, let air dry then use the VPI RCM. My records have never sounded better
Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Cool video thanks Dan
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 PM

I'm about a month behind this thread. After spending the better part of today with a Spin Clean and some LPs that go back to the late 60's, I knew there had to be a better way. The Spin Clean was doing some good just based on how dirty the water got after a while, but I was still getting the occasional pop on new records. I even had a brand new Diana Krall LP that had a skip on it after being cleaned right out of the jacket.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 AM

Anybody knows how to remove the platter on the HW-17?
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
The Irish screwdriver?
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuason View Post
Never mind, I figured it out.