AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Default Spectron amps with W/P's

Has anyone tried Spectron mono-blocks with W/P 7 or 8's? If you have what are your thoughts.
Thanks---Sam
Basis 2500/Vector 3/Air Tight PC-1,Koetsu Urushi Black,Rosewood/Walker Ultimate Precision,Gamut CD-3 Joule LAP-150 Mkll,Joule VZN-160 Musicwoods MkV, Purist Proteus Provectus I/C 1.5m, Proteus Provectus S/C 8',Wilson WATT/Puppy 8/ Solid Tech Rack Of Silence 4 & 1's/ GIK 242 (4), 244 (2), ASC Tube Traps X 48",(2)16"ST,(2)11",(2)9",(2) 1/2 11" & 9",Real Traps (4) Mondo Traps/ Phonic PAA2 RTA.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Hi Sam,

I had Spectron Musician III mono blocks with all the current updates for about a year, just before the came out with the new remote sense cables. I used them with an Ayre KX-R preamp. They take well over 500-600 hrs to break in. I found them to be pretty impressive at some things when I had them. The mono blocks are better than a single amp. The remote sense cables are a must and do make it sound better. The sound was HUGE and detailed. I think a tube preamp would be required to smooth out the sound. I ultimately found the sound to be a little too fatiguing. I do not know if the Ayre contributed to that or not. I craved a warmer, slightly smoother sound. I think with more experimentation I may have achieved something akin to what I was looking for but I felt I was chasing my tail. I know the W/P 7 or 8's are higher in resolution and much less forgiving than my Nola Micros and I'm sure I would personally like that combo less, but everyone is different. Spectron is usually paired with Joule-Electra preamps but I've never heard that combo. They do have a 30 day trial but they would be barely broken in by then. I personally think there is better out there. I would look into an Audio Research DS450M Monaural Power Amplifier or something like that before the Spectrons.
Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 08-10-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: DS450M Monaural Power Amplifier
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BTubey View Post
Has anyone tried Spectron mono-blocks with W/P 7 or 8's? If you have what are your thoughts.
Thanks---Sam
Sam...are you looking into the Spectron's because you feel like the VZN-160s are running out of steam driving the WP-8s or are you just looking for a different flavor/perspective? Just curious. Thx
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM

I had a stereo Spectron amp a couple years ago for a brief trial (WP7). I was using a Krell FPB 600c at the time and found the Krell to be better in most areas, especially authority, warmth and naturalness. I have since moved on to Spectral amps and would not want anything else regardless of price.

To me, the Spectron are nice amps but not at all what I would want in my system.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Thank you for the responses. The Joules do surprisingly well with the Wp 8's, I wouldn't characterize them as running out of steam at all. I want something that runs cooler on these hot days, no air conditioning in my house, although I am curious what big power does with the WP's besides make me move them out from the boundaries! LOL
Basis 2500/Vector 3/Air Tight PC-1,Koetsu Urushi Black,Rosewood/Walker Ultimate Precision,Gamut CD-3 Joule LAP-150 Mkll,Joule VZN-160 Musicwoods MkV, Purist Proteus Provectus I/C 1.5m, Proteus Provectus S/C 8',Wilson WATT/Puppy 8/ Solid Tech Rack Of Silence 4 & 1's/ GIK 242 (4), 244 (2), ASC Tube Traps X 48",(2)16"ST,(2)11",(2)9",(2) 1/2 11" & 9",Real Traps (4) Mondo Traps/ Phonic PAA2 RTA.