AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Default Spent the day with Holland and Holland

My local Ferrari dealer put on an event promoting the Ferrari FF car and teamed up with Holland and Holland, The Dalmore (scotch makers) and top notch catering at the beautiful 1300 acre horseback riding facility.

The H&H guys put on a tremendous effort with the outstanding (at least to me) 5 stand setup, having all gauges and configuration of their shotguns present, 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge in over and under and many side by sides.

This was the first time I actually handled and shot an H&H and one has to see it in person to appreciate the beauty of this masterpiece. The balance is superb, they are rather lightweight, the engravings are beyond nice and they just ooze quality. I've never actually shot 5 stand before so that was a new experience for me and I liked it. I thought the different presentations of clay birds in each station made the whole experience a lot of fun and challenging. I did not do as well as I would have wanted since I am also new to side by side but I did pretty good with the O/U and smoked most of them with it.

The H&H staff made things very interesting with some history and information about H&H brand and their authentic British accents made the experience that much more authentic.

Surely the H&H is out of reach for most people and one has to be quite the connoisseur to drop over $100k on one of these beauties but there were a few guys among the small crowd that we had there that owned more than 1.... I guess H&H does not sell in large numbers and doesn't need to either. I think their total sales are less than 100 guns a year.

I brought my son along and we had an absolute blast rotating through all the stands a few times around and trying out all the different gauges and configurations. I was very impressed by H&H and their creations. Would I ever invest that kind of $$$ in a shotgun?? I just don't know if I can ever love it THAT much. I did like the 5 stand and will make an effort to shoot some more!

After the shooting session we enjoyed lunch followed by a "spirited" driving session of the Ferrari FF on the beautiful roads of West Chester Pa. My son was thrilled to be able to open up a 660HP Ferrari with the wail of the V12 and the thrust of an F18 Hornet on takeoff. I've already experienced the FF before but was once again impressed by this car.

I did discover something that I will most definitely buy asap. The Dalmore King Alexander III Scotch!!! WOW! I had a few samples and enjoyed a cigar and a good conversation at the beautiful and scenic grounds and the setup they had. Imagine an oasis in the middle of gentle rolling hilly terrain that had tables and even leather couch to enjoy a cigar and single malt scotch! Nice! The weather could not have been any nicer today either! What a great way to spend the day.

Some pics from the event.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Oh yeah, I did sample quite a few of The Dalmore scotches, what a treat!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 PM

My son trying out a side by side H&H.

[ame=http://youtu.be/u9P7z2S3Bj4]Shooting clays 5 stand - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM

My son with the 12 gauge O/U.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TwvUtRWB-DE]Holland and Holland - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......That price tag made me look twice.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......That price tag made me look twice.
Dan, I loved everything about their guns, except the price! We had a great time and this was perhaps the only time we get to shoot these jewels. I don't see myself spending that kind of $$$ on one of them.

Last edited by PHC1; 05-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Retired

For that sort of money you would think they could mow the firing line. Think I'll stick with U.S. made by CSMC http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/ for less than 1/10th the price.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-05-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
For that sort of money you would think they could mow the firing line. Think I'll stick with U.S. made by CSMC Shotguns For Sale, Purdey & Browning Shotgun, Double Barrel Shotguns | Connecticut Shotgun for less than 1/10th the price.
Very nice.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Retired

Well......... I was thinking more along the lines of a 30" Inverness 20ga for clays.
Inverness Round Body 20 gauge Over & under

While the others are truly works of art, I'm more interested in something I can shoot. Would not want to sully those by actually shooting them.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Well......... I was thinking more along the lines of a 30" Inverness 20ga for clays.
Inverness Round Body 20 gauge Over & under

While the others are truly works of art, I'm more interested in something I can shoot. Would not want to sully those by actually shooting them.
Looks like a good gun. I have my Beretta Teknys Gold Sporting, Benelli Supersport and Beretta Silver Pigeon I O/U as my "shooters". I wouldn't mind picking up a higher end O/U.