AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Olympica Nova

Anybody else noticed the Sonus Faber Olympica *Nova* ad in the latest Stereophile? A completely re-designed line that looks essentially like a cross of the original Olympicas and the latest Tradition line.

It's not the first time they do this, of course. The Cremonas and Cremonas M come to mind, and, of course, the "tradition" line is the fourth incarnation of the original Homage series. Not crazy about the Nova aesthetics, however, since it looks like most of the leather is now gone. I had a soft spot for the look of the original Olympicas, and I considered them the best looking SF line since the brand changed hands (yes, I think they look better than the Aida, etc... I thought the side/vertical ports looked terrific, and the leather on the top was a genius idea).

Overall, it looks like they are trying to use the new Amati as the starting point, which I assume simplifies the manufacturing/assembly process and saves on cost.

There is no mention of this revamped Olympica anywhere else, however. At least none that I could find.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:34 AM

I received a call from my dealer last month to let me know they were coming out with a revamped Olympica line so this fits with what I was told. If there are pictures I would love to see a screen shot or photo if you can share one.
Sources: Linn Klimax DS, Kaleidescape Strato S Amps: MC452 & MC301 Speakers/Subs: Sonus Faber Olympica III’s & Nova CII in Wenge, 2 x JL Fathom 112's w/ Sound Anchor stands Pre/Pro: C1100, MX122 Power: PS Audio P10 Cables: Center speaker-Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8, L/R Speakers-Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7, Kimber Palladian Power Cables, Kimber KS1126 Interconnects Misc: Furutech Flux 50 NSF, Furutech GTX-D NSF outlets, Furutech Boosters
Old 08-24-2019, 08:41 PM

I think the Olympica is one of the best Sonus Faber made - enjoyed it far more than any of the newest Tradition series. Everything is boosted too much in the upper midrange and treble... It's as if then entire tonal balance was shifted toward the treble. I did a long demo of the Olympica 3 and the Serafino Tradition, and enjoyed the Olympica series far more. I was a fan of all Sonus Faber speakers, but now don't care for any of the latest Tradition series (Sonetto, Tradition series, and I guess now the Nova I presume).... Guess I will have to find a new brand unfortunately. I always loved the Sonus Faber tonal balance but no longer.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 AM

That’s a different perspective from mine.

I liked the old Amati. I liked the old Cremona M.

I didn’t like the Olympica as much. Nor the Venere. They were too laid back for me.

But the new Amati Tradition brought the sound back. And the Sonetto is in the same vein.

That’s why I’m looking forward to the new Nova.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfi87 View Post
I think the Olympica is one of the best Sonus Faber made - enjoyed it far more than any of the newest Tradition series. Everything is boosted too much in the upper midrange and treble... It's as if then entire tonal balance was shifted toward the treble. I did a long demo of the Olympica 3 and the Serafino Tradition, and enjoyed the Olympica series far more. I was a fan of all Sonus Faber speakers, but now don't care for any of the latest Tradition series (Sonetto, Tradition series, and I guess now the Nova I presume).... Guess I will have to find a new brand unfortunately. I always loved the Sonus Faber tonal balance but no longer.
I’ll leave my thoughts regarding the Olympica out of it as I posted about it elsewhere, but agree with you that I find the new Tradition series a bit too bright and tipped toward the treble for my tastes and this was during a demo at my dealer put on by Sonus Faber, Audio Research, and Shunyata. The main demo was of the I’l Cremonese which I found to have the same tonal balance too. I wasn’t the only one at the demo who thought so. Maybe it wasn’t the speakers to blame, but perhaps the simultaneous streaming that they were using in all their listening rooms that day? That being said, to my ears all the new SF had the same tonal balance on that occasion.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:38 PM

Interesting, I’ve never heard Olympica’s described as laid back. Their predecessors perhaps but I guess that is what makes this hobby so fun. All that matters is that you find what is best to your ears.

Last edited by McDaddy; 12-27-2020 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM

The Olympica Nova is out now.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:07 AM

“The high frequency performance of the Olympica Nova Is was utterly romantic and alive.”
Quote from the review that just came out on the part-time audiophile site.

I absolutely am not disputing anyone’s opinion as I’ve only ever heard the Liuto and Memento speakers fom Sonus Faber. I just wanted to provide data for the discussion.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/...eakers-review/

ron

Last edited by bachrocks; 09-06-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:15 AM

SoundStage! Insight - Sonus faber Olympica Nova at World of McIntosh Townhouse (October 2019) https://youtu.be/TBJRoH5uGQE

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 AM

I saw the article and video as well. I was initially disappointed that SF went away from the leather front look but I have to say the Nova’s are growing on me now. I’m probably going to bite on the Center 2 first and go from there.
Sources: Linn Klimax DS, Kaleidescape Strato S Amps: MC452 & MC301 Speakers/Subs: Sonus Faber Olympica III’s & Nova CII in Wenge, 2 x JL Fathom 112's w/ Sound Anchor stands Pre/Pro: C1100, MX122 Power: PS Audio P10 Cables: Center speaker-Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8, L/R Speakers-Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7, Kimber Palladian Power Cables, Kimber KS1126 Interconnects Misc: Furutech Flux 50 NSF, Furutech GTX-D NSF outlets, Furutech Boosters

Last edited by McDaddy; 12-27-2020 at 03:54 AM.