AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
Nice setup Greekspec2.

Have you played around with toe-in angle?
I had mine like yours with quite a bit of toe-in for some time, but prefer them now in my room with alot less toe-in.
This is ofcourse room and personal preference.

Also, they seem to be quite close to the backwall, how is the low-end performing?
I have mine close to the backwall too, but 40 CM minimum from speaker to wall Works best in my room.
I have no choice on how far they are placed against the wall since I live temp in a condo, as for toe in I have very little
Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Greekspec2...Congrats, lovely, lovely speakers.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekspec2 View Post
Wow, clean setup.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 PM

Looks like Focal + Naim makes a great music system.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:30 AM

I seem to be one of the few not taken with the Sopra 2. It was time to move my Merlin VSM-M's to my tube system(smaller room) and find new speakers for my Clayton 100's (Naim 272 pre/streamer) in the big room. When I heard the Sopra 2's at the dealers, I thought they were amazing and arranged a home audition. Various circumstance allowed me to have the well broken in Sopras for nearly a week. Early on I was impressed. The pace was great and I thought they sounded great overall. After a few days however, I began to find them fatiguing and started to find the highs harsh and annoying. I also noticed some sound staging and imaging issues but blamed them on specific recordings. . I really wanted to like them that much.

In fact, despite my doubts, I almost ordered them. However, as there was a six week wait plus the fact that despite my excuse making, I was aware of the fatigue and issues with the highs, I decided to test Dynaudios. The dealer had a pair of Dynaudio C1's available for audition, so I gave them a try. I should point out that both the Sopra 2's and the C1's were auditioned with my Rel sub. With the C1's all the problems not only went away, but all my problems with the Sopra's came into focus and I realized that I had made excuses for the Sopra's soundstage which now clearly seemed blurry and imprecise. Suddenly, I was sure that I didn't want the Sopra's.

While I couldn't audition the C2's, I liked the C1's enough that I took the risk and ordered the C2's un-auditioned. They have been a great success (again with the REL). I vastly prefer their sound staging and the highs seem sweet, not shrill. As good as the C1's are, the C2's are a major step to the better. All of this was true straight out of the box before they were broken in. There was never any question of fatigue and I could (and did) listen for hours at a time. With the subwoofer, the base isn't a issue either. They continued to get only better as they broke. Overall, in my opinion, the C2's are far superior to the Sopra's in my room and with my system.

This isn't meant to be a slam on the Sopra's. They still sound amazing in my dealers system. I'm posting this comment as a cautionary tale and to balance all the positive reviews and posts. No speaker performs well in all systems and spaces. I was fortunate that I was able to audition the Sopra's for an extended period and lucky that the wait for the Sopra's led me to try the Dyn's.

I also learned a lesson. Always audition at least two products when making a major audio purchase. I wish I could have auditioned several other speakers but, sadly, no others were available for audition in my locale. As happy as I am with the C2's, I'll always wonder if I would have found something I liked even better had other auditions been available.

Finally, I'd be interested hearing from others who were have had similar reactions to the Sopra 2's. While no one else can speak to my room, I do wonder about the Clayton's and Naim mating with the Sopra's. Or could it be the Nordost speaker cables or Transparent interconnects. Or is it as simple as I got used to the Dynaudio tweeter's in my Merlins? Or am I allergic to beryllium tweeters? Even though I'm thrilled with the C2's and have absolutely no regrets, I would really like to more fully understand what led to my reaction to the Sopra's. Not sure why it matters at this point, but I'm still curious.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 AM

Welcome to AA asquaretail! I had a similar experience with the Sopra 2 speakers as have some others I've communicated with. When I first heard them at a dealer's I found them to be very 'impressive' sounding with great dynamics and extension, but in a short time I found myself growing tired and fatigued by their sound. I like to feel relaxed and drawn into the music the longer I listen, and this wasn't the case with the Sopra 2s. I then had the Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions moved into the room and found them much more to my liking. The highs were much sweeter and there was an intimacy about them that was completely lacking with the Focals. So as you stated we all have different tastes and desires of what we expect from our speakers, and there are many that find the Sopras to be exceptional. System matching is also a major consideration as you pointed out as well. The Dynaudios are superb speakers and I can certainly understand your being pleased with them, I hope you get many years of enjoyment with them!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:48 AM

I owned 1028BEs for years and could never listen to them for more than an hour. From what I've read the Sopra tweeter is improved in some ways but it is still what it is. Complete room treatment to control the top end of Focals is a must in my opinion. I eventually just moved on to a different brand.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM

Some interesting posts with other perspectives on the Sopras.
I dont think any one speaker will be perfect for all, and neither will the Focals.

In one years ownership I have learned that they are in need of very careful placement in my room to shine, and are very transparent of the gear used for better or worse.

Still enjoying them alot!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquaretail View Post
I Or is it as simple as I got used to the Dynaudio tweeter's in my Merlins? Or am I allergic to beryllium tweeters? Even though I'm thrilled with the C2's and have absolutely no regrets, I would really like to more fully understand what led to my reaction to the Sopra's. Not sure why it matters at this point, but I'm still curious.
IMHO, yes, its pretty simple. You prefer the sound of a fabric dome tweeter to a metal dome. So do I. And Dyn makes some of the very best fabric tweeters in the world. The pros and cons of each are just as you stated. No reason to second guess your ears. If you prefer a more laid back and non-fatiguing sound then the Dynaudios or other soft dome tweeters are for you. Enjoy.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:33 PM

I can't speak for your experience but I have no complaints here with mine.
I'm also running Naim NAC N272/NAP 300DR/Super Lumina speaker cables.